I'm looking for indie developers to help me with my phd

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by sunaitis, Feb 14, 2011.

1. sunaitis

sunaitis Active Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Teacher Trainer
    Finland
    #1 sunaitis, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
    Close to a year ago I asked How do you define independent developer. At that time I was working on my Masters and got help from Flickitty. Thanks!

I'm now working on my PhD, and my focus is still on indie developers. I plan to publish a series of research articles on different aspects of independent game development. That's why I'm now recruiting informants!

I'd love to hear from you, if you:
    • weren't hired by anybody to work on your first iApp (it doesn't matter if you later on started to work for a company to produce iApps)
    • consider yourself to be a developer, no matter what your actual contribution to the game project was (programmer, graphic designer, sounds, marketing...)
    • are a beginner or an experienced developer
    • have been successful or unsuccessful or something in between
    • are from the USA or elsewhere

I really hope to get in touch with a mixed group of developers!

What is expected of you? I have planned five tasks for you, each taking less than one hour to complete. When you have finished one task, I'll send you the next one (except task number five is still at the planning stage, so it might take a while before I can provide you with that one!) You'll complete the tasks on your own computer, and submit them online. To participate you should be able to draw, write and record audio on your computer/iDevice.

If you don't want to participate yourself, but know somebody, who might be interested, let me know his contact info!

Want to hear more and get instructions to the first task? PM me, please!

best wishes
    Irmeli

More background info on me and this project

2. sunaitis

sunaitis Active Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Teacher Trainer
    Finland
    Just a reminder!
    Already 108 people have opened this message, yet only one PM sofar!

Please, please volunteer! The tasks aren't hard (here's a peek: in the first task you are to design a profile card for an indie developer and fill it in with your own info. In the second one you should draw a picture of... you'll here more, if you contact me. And, hey, you don't have to be the artist in your team to make the drawings!)

I really believe it would be interesting to conduct a study on indie developers, you certainly are interesting fellows! In case you happen to think that my invitation isn't for you personally (cause you only have one app and it hasn't been a huge succes anyway, or your indie days are behind after your app gained you reputation and somebody hired you to make games, or...), don't think! You are in the target group, if nobody hired you to work on your first game project. And it doesn't matter if the project never even shipped as long as you once thought it might be launched.

If you still think you don't want to participate, please spread the word!

best wishes
    Sunaitis

3. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Shame I don't qualify this condition :)

You should post the question publicly.

JC

4. sunaitis

sunaitis Active Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Teacher Trainer
    Finland
    Ovogame,
    I don't see how anybody would disqualify based on that demand :)! We all are from somewhere. I guess my formulation was poor. What I actually wanted to say was: I am happy to invite devs from the USA, but even more thrilled I'd be, if I got answers from the rest of the world, too.

Best wishes
    Sunaitis

5. Clockworkapps

Clockworkapps Well-Known Member

+1 from Australia!

6. Clockworkapps

Clockworkapps Well-Known Member

Hey all

I tried this out and it is ok.

Tasks are not too much work.. And it is actually quite interesting

Makes you stop and think about what you are doing and why...

Give it a go !!!

7. sunaitis

sunaitis Active Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Teacher Trainer
    Finland
    You make me blush!

Thank you for your support, Clockworkapps!

You are a valuable beta tester for my research design. I'm not yet worried that there aren't so many volunteers. Nevertheless, I'm really, really grateful that you came here to put the good word around! When we have tested the tasks, I'll start my "direct marketing campaign":). Beware: there are quite a few of you that I have followed with interest in other threads (my two favorites right now are artwork and your stories), and one day I might be knocking at your door!

Best wishes
    Sunaitis

8. philo

philo Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Hey,

I qualify based on your criteria (I'm from the UK - I guess that's somewhere?!)

I'd like to help out but not sure if I could commit to 5 hours worth of tasks given that I'm currently working and using my free time to develop apps.

Could you give a better idea of time commitment?

9. sunaitis

sunaitis Active Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Teacher Trainer
    Finland
    Nice to meet you, philo!

I can understand you: my son is also a developer and 24 h a day just isn't enough.

When I said that each task takes about an hour, i was trying to add some marginal. It's probably possible to do them quicker. Also, you don't have to do everything at once, you could do one task a week according to your own schedule. Plus you could only take the first one's.

Bw
    Sunaitis