★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: iStrategia [Classic Board Game]

02-15-2011, 08:53 AM
iStrategia [Classic Board Game]

Last edited by i4niac; 02-15-2011 at 10:45 AM.
02-15-2011, 08:54 AM
I live board games ... but I have no clue how this one works!

-----
On GC I am FPEX

02-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Looks like Stratego to me. (A game that would work great as an iOS game IMO!)

The object is to capture the opponent's flag. You're given a flag of your own, a few bombs, and soldier pieces of various strength and some with special abilities (like defusing bombs). You need to arrange your side of the board using your soldiers and bombs to protect your flag. You cannot see the opponent pieces. Once you've placed your pieces on the board, you move the pieces towards each other. When two pieces land on the same spot on the board, you reveal the pieces and the highest strength wins. If you hit a bomb spot and you don't have one of the soldiers that is capable of difusing bombs, then the soldier loses. So, it's a game of strategy...arranging your pieces, moving the appropriate pieces, and then attacking your opponent pieces. The original game is great fun, still one of my favorites. If this is anything like the original, then it could be pretty awesome.

I'd love to know if there is asynchronous multi-player on this iOS version?

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic
02-15-2011, 10:06 AM
A universal board game with bluetooth multiplayer? I'll be buying this one when I get home this evening. :-D

Last edited by Fieryseraph; 02-15-2011 at 10:14 AM.
02-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieryseraph View Post
A universal board game with bluetooth multiplayer? I'll be buying this one when I get home this evening. :-D
I have to be honest with you and save some of your nerves. Apple missed an ugly bug with multiplayer, so the game just crashes in m/p mode.
I've already submitted fixed version 0.2, it's been 4 days in review so far, usually it takes about 1.5 weeks for approval.
Anyway, thought I have to warn you
02-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CzarCastic View Post
Looks like Stratego to me. (A game that would work great as an iOS game IMO!)
I'd love to know if there is asynchronous multi-player on this iOS version?
Exactly, this game is played by Stratego rules.
Here's a link to International Stratego Federation web site (http://www.isfstratego.com/) they have official rules pdf there.
I also plan to add more options later on, so players would customize rules.

Async multiplayer is in development right now. You'll be able to make your move and then just leave the app. Once an opponent moves, you'll get push notification.
02-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Are there various AI and/or personalities?

-----
On GC I am FPEX
02-15-2011, 11:39 AM
I love Stratego and this looks like a really nice version of it I have played a couple of other Stratego games on the idevice and weren't very impressed with them hope this one fairs better

Edit - ok I decided to pick it up and I can safely say this is the best idevice version of Stratego I have played nice graphics and sounds . One question though for the developer or anyone else who has played it how do you change the computer AI

Last edited by Howlingwolf; 02-15-2011 at 12:01 PM.
02-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i4niac View Post
I have to be honest with you and save some of your nerves. Apple missed an ugly bug with multiplayer, so the game just crashes in m/p mode.
I've already submitted fixed version 0.2, it's been 4 days in review so far, usually it takes about 1.5 weeks for approval.
Anyway, thought I have to warn you
As a fan of Stratego, I will definitely check this out.

But I really would like to point out, that Apple is not your QA department and it is not their responsibility to find all of your bugs, so blaming them for not finding it is just crazy. It's your job to find your bugs and fix them. You missed an ugly bug with multiplayer, not them.

edit: did download this, and it is pretty good. that is just my initial impression though - what are people's thoughts on the AI?

Last edited by cplr; 02-15-2011 at 02:13 PM.
02-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cplr View Post
But I really would like to point out, that Apple is not your QA department and it is not their responsibility to find all of your bugs, so blaming them for not finding it is just crazy. It's your job to find your bugs and fix them. You missed an ugly bug with multiplayer, not them.
You're absolutely right, I made an ugly bug and missed it. I'm not trying to blame Apple at all, afterall I like the fact that app has been accepted. Probably chose not exact word to express my thoughts, just saying that I am surprised, they usually have very throughout review process and find this kind of obvious bugs right away, that's why I said they "missed" it.