★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Tapper World Tour [coming soon]

02-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology [Original Poster]
Tapper World Tour [coming soon]

Quote:
If you were hanging around the arcades back in 1983 (and I’m willing to bet at least some of you were), then you probably remember the classic game called Tapper. In Tapper it was your job to man several counters in a bar and rapidly serve drinks to approaching patrons, while simultaneously collecting their empty glasses before they slide off the end of the counter and shatter all over the floor. Tapper was an extremely fast-paced game and notoriously difficult, and it is also well known for originally being sponsored by Budweiser and featuring their logo throughout the game.

This aspect of Tapper didn’t go over too well though, as it’s common knowledge that kids love video games (as do adults!) and placing a game laden with Budweiser branding in arcades that are crawling with children is generally frowned upon. The next year, Tapper was rechristened as Root Beer Tapper and featured nearly identical gameplay minus the Budweiser logos and with root beer as the beverage being served. Root Beer Tapper is the game that is more commonly recognized out of the two as it went on to receive various home console ports and has been included in numerous retro compilations.
http://toucharcade.com/2011/02/15/fi...er-world-tour/

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 02-16-2011 at 05:10 AM.
03-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Cant wait for this game. Wish i could find out when its released. Often its just a case of coming to the touch arcade forums and finding out when its out.

Loved this game back in the arcades and during the 80's on the 8 bit computers.

Its a very simple game but should work well on iOS, specially with Don Bluth's graphics.

Anyone have a release date yet ?
03-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Cant wait for this game. Wish i could find out when its released. Often its just a case of coming to the touch arcade forums and finding out when its out.

Loved this game back in the arcades and during the 80's on the 8 bit computers.

Its a very simple game but should work well on iOS, specially with Don Bluth's graphics.

Anyone have a release date yet ?
The facebook page for this game announced the release for March 16. I also enjoyed this game back in the day, and I'm a sucker for anything remotely nostalgic. Hope to see some impressions and reviews soon!
03-15-2011, 09:01 AM
So if its tomorrow i 'presume' it comes out late tonight in NZ and then midnight for Europe ? Hope the price isnt too high (and then no doubt halved a week later !).

Tapper is such a basic game but just had a lot of fun with this back in the 80's and with Don Bluth's graphics i hope its still great. Its all about gameplay at the end of the day so i hope it plays well.

Roll on more and more old retro classics to get made over