Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-16-2011, 05:42 AM
iPad

Default RIDGE RACER ACCELERATED HD - (by Namco)

iPad Screenshots:
(click to enlarge)

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 02-17-2011 at 03:11 AM..
Old 02-16-2011, 06:13 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Interesting....will have to check this to found which one is the better of the two (Asphalt 6 is the other).
Old 02-16-2011, 06:15 AM
Señor Member
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Looks like they copied Gameloft with the free app + IAP to unlock full game. Hopefully more developers will adopt this method in the future, it makes things easier and stops piracy.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:31 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Now with 20% less suck

I love Rodge Racer games. And the iPhone version absolutely blew chunks. The controls were totally broken and they never fixed them. Added some new, broken, options but never made em actually work.

As to the free demo, pay to unlock, Gameloft didn't exactly invent the shareware model. Seems I recall buying Wolf 3d and Doom that way in the 80's along with one or two others.

I'll spend some bandwidth to see but am not getting excited. For arcade racers, you cannot do any better than Asphalt 6 or the 2 latest Need for Speed games, Shift and Hot Pursuit.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:32 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

To me Ridge Racer is the daddy of arcade racers fingers crossed they made this better than the iPhone version and didn't just port it over broken controls and all
Old 02-16-2011, 10:29 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Awesome! Will get this tonight. As other's have mentioned, hopefully the controls work. I think the one that worked best with the iPhone version was the L/R button combo with manual accelerate/brake so hopefully that's been added. That felt most like the PSP version.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:49 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Ok just downloaded played and deleted . Poor graphics not HD in my opinion and my worst fears the controls still suck oh well on the bright side it cost me nothing to find it out
Old 02-16-2011, 11:09 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlingwolf View Post
Ok just downloaded played and deleted . Poor graphics not HD in my opinion and my worst fears the controls still suck oh well on the bright side it cost me nothing to find it out
Hmm, I have the opposite opinion, to me this game is great! I'm using control option 4 with the virtual L/R and manual accelerate/brake. The only complaint is that the nitrous is a little high on the screen. With this control scheme, it feels as good as the PSP version using the dpad.

Graphics seem great. They are crisp and as look like a high res version of the iPhone/PSP version.

IAP is $8.99 for the full game - all cars and tracks. Purchased after playing it for a bit.

Great version and free to try.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:36 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroByte View Post
Hmm, I have the opposite opinion, to me this game is great! I'm using control option 4 with the virtual L/R and manual accelerate/brake. The only complaint is that the nitrous is a little high on the screen. With this control scheme, it feels as good as the PSP version using the dpad.

Graphics seem great. They are crisp and as look like a high res version of the iPhone/PSP version.

IAP is $8.99 for the full game - all cars and tracks. Purchased after playing it for a bit.

Great version and free to try.

I agree with microbyte.

I am a ridge racer purist, as i go all the way back to the beginning.

I have had every game for ps1, ps2, ps3, x360, ds, n64, psp, ipod, and already preordered 3ds

If you play with control scheme 4, it plays just fine.

You can steer into and out of a drift with full control

My biggest complaint?

There seems to be no way to turn off that A-Hole dj/announcer...anyone find a way?
First time i have ever seen him locked on was on the ipod and now the ipad.

I have always been able to silence his bonerism over the years...gag him Namco, once and for all
Old 02-17-2011, 01:08 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Must say am disappointed about this... I was all hyped up about the iPad version of this game... Been waiting for weeks for this to come out...

All to find that controls don't quite work well (yes option 4 is sufficient), but on a machine as powerful as an iPad with accelerometer and all tapping left and right just doesn't quite do it for me. I mean, even the PSP had an analog stick to fiddle with!

Graphics aren't HD, I mean, compared to other games and what we've seen developers can do with other apps... Namco really has to step up their game a little.

Needless to say, downloaded it at 8am, sending this at 8.07am with app deleted. *Unfortunately*