★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: We regret to inform you that service for this application will be terminated as of 3/30/2015.
*Items already purchased may be used until service termination.
*Upon service termination, guarantees of operation no longer apply.
*The dates and times given above may be changed without prior notice.

[Warning]
This application does not currently support iOS 8.

[Warning]
Please DO NOT play this application with devices running iOS7. Otherwise your save data may disappear.

We are currently looking into the cause of this issue.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and appreciate for your understanding.

This application does not currently support iOS7.
------------
Get it Now! FREE HD iPad-only version!
In this product a subset of modes, machines, and courses are available.
Purchase (upgrade to) the full version from within the app for access to all modes, machines, and courses.
You can upgrade from the [Online Shop] mode available in the [Main Menu].
The full version offers the same modes, machines, and courses as RIDGE RACER ACCELERATED for iPhone/iPod touch, version 1.4.1. In addition, in-app advertising will be disabled.

The ultimate drift racer: fast, smooth, and with hairpin bends that you can take at 200 km/h!
AppStore hit RIDGE RACER ACCELERATED is back, with a new look and a new iPad-only HD version!
Building on the acclaimed visual quality of the iPhone/iPod touch version, the new iPad edition boasts the highest resolution yet!
Longtime fans and new challengers alike will be delighted by the wide range of souped-up new takes on famous RIDGE RACER courses, dating back to the original 1993 arcade version!

Features
* Combining the same celebrated control scheme as the iPhone/iPod version with all-new tweaks and tuning, it's a bigger blast than ever!
Choose a steering method from two velocity sensor modes or two virtual pad modes -- four modes in all.

* Forget the brakes -- hit the nitrous!
Charge your nitrous gauge by drifting, then activate it for an exhilarating speed boost that will leave other racers in the dust!
The ultimate acceleration experience for those who don't know the meaning of the word "brake."

* Choose your own difficulty level!
In Arcade mode, you can choose your own difficulty level. Even beginners can start having fun right away!

Check out the "RIDGE RACER -Official Fan Site-" on Facebook!
Search for "RIDGE RACER -Official Fan Site-" at Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/ridgefan
Information provided in English only.

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

iPad Screenshots:
(click to enlarge)

02-16-2011, 06:13 AM
Interesting....will have to check this to found which one is the better of the two (Asphalt 6 is the other).

OldskoolNL.nl : "Not Old, Just Older"

02-16-2011, 06:15 AM
Looks like they copied Gameloft with the free app + IAP to unlock full game. Hopefully more developers will adopt this method in the future, it makes things easier and stops piracy.

Hakuna Matata
02-16-2011, 06:31 AM
Now with 20% less suck

I love Rodge Racer games. And the iPhone version absolutely blew chunks. The controls were totally broken and they never fixed them. Added some new, broken, options but never made em actually work.

As to the free demo, pay to unlock, Gameloft didn't exactly invent the shareware model. Seems I recall buying Wolf 3d and Doom that way in the 80's along with one or two others.

I'll spend some bandwidth to see but am not getting excited. For arcade racers, you cannot do any better than Asphalt 6 or the 2 latest Need for Speed games, Shift and Hot Pursuit.
02-16-2011, 08:32 AM
To me Ridge Racer is the daddy of arcade racers fingers crossed they made this better than the iPhone version and didn't just port it over broken controls and all
02-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Awesome! Will get this tonight. As other's have mentioned, hopefully the controls work. I think the one that worked best with the iPhone version was the L/R button combo with manual accelerate/brake so hopefully that's been added. That felt most like the PSP version.

Gamecenter: MicroByte
Jetpack Joyride: all 125 medals :: Golden Tophat winner :: Special Half-Brick Prize
Playing: Sonic Racing Transformed | Giant Boulder of Death | Dead Trigger 2 | Jetpack Joyride
02-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Ok just downloaded played and deleted . Poor graphics not HD in my opinion and my worst fears the controls still suck oh well on the bright side it cost me nothing to find it out
02-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlingwolf View Post
Ok just downloaded played and deleted . Poor graphics not HD in my opinion and my worst fears the controls still suck oh well on the bright side it cost me nothing to find it out
Hmm, I have the opposite opinion, to me this game is great! I'm using control option 4 with the virtual L/R and manual accelerate/brake. The only complaint is that the nitrous is a little high on the screen. With this control scheme, it feels as good as the PSP version using the dpad.

Graphics seem great. They are crisp and as look like a high res version of the iPhone/PSP version.

IAP is $8.99 for the full game - all cars and tracks. Purchased after playing it for a bit.

Great version and free to try.

Gamecenter: MicroByte
Jetpack Joyride: all 125 medals :: Golden Tophat winner :: Special Half-Brick Prize
Playing: Sonic Racing Transformed | Giant Boulder of Death | Dead Trigger 2 | Jetpack Joyride
02-17-2011, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroByte View Post
Hmm, I have the opposite opinion, to me this game is great! I'm using control option 4 with the virtual L/R and manual accelerate/brake. The only complaint is that the nitrous is a little high on the screen. With this control scheme, it feels as good as the PSP version using the dpad.

Graphics seem great. They are crisp and as look like a high res version of the iPhone/PSP version.

IAP is $8.99 for the full game - all cars and tracks. Purchased after playing it for a bit.

Great version and free to try.

I agree with microbyte.

I am a ridge racer purist, as i go all the way back to the beginning.

I have had every game for ps1, ps2, ps3, x360, ds, n64, psp, ipod, and already preordered 3ds

If you play with control scheme 4, it plays just fine.

You can steer into and out of a drift with full control

My biggest complaint?

There seems to be no way to turn off that A-Hole dj/announcer...anyone find a way?
First time i have ever seen him locked on was on the ipod and now the ipad.

I have always been able to silence his bonerism over the years...gag him Namco, once and for all
02-17-2011, 01:08 AM
Must say am disappointed about this... I was all hyped up about the iPad version of this game... Been waiting for weeks for this to come out...

All to find that controls don't quite work well (yes option 4 is sufficient), but on a machine as powerful as an iPad with accelerometer and all tapping left and right just doesn't quite do it for me. I mean, even the PSP had an analog stick to fiddle with!

Graphics aren't HD, I mean, compared to other games and what we've seen developers can do with other apps... Namco really has to step up their game a little.

Needless to say, downloaded it at 8am, sending this at 8.07am with app deleted. *Unfortunately*