★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Fling Compatability Thread

02-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Fling Compatability Thread

I received my Fling last night and tested it out on several games. I know that Ten1 has their own compatibility list, but I found a number of gaps and wanted to share my own experiences with those that might be interested in purchasing one.

I'm a bit mixed on the feel of the controller. Some games feel outstanding whereas other's don't feel quite right. It doesn't have the feel of a traditional analog stick and takes some getting used to. I'll update my impressions and findings as I play through more games and get more experience with the controls. For other Fling users, please feel free to reply and add your own impressions and I'll update the main list.

For now though, here are my thought's/findings based on what I was able to play. Games are iPad versions unless the iPhone scaled 2X version is noted:
  • Aralon - okay, not great but not bad, probably will improve when the iPad UI update comes out
  • Brothers in Arms HD - Cannot properly run without pushing the stick to the extreme edges. Walking is fine and feels responsive, but running does not feel right.
  • Dead Space - Cannot properly run without pushing the stick to the extreme edges. Walking is fine and feels responsive, but running does not feel right.
  • Call of Duty Zombies HD - Controls feel tight and near perfect.
  • DOS Pad/iDos - diagonals require you to really force the Fling to its extremities to hit
  • Dungeon Defenders - Controls feel tight and near perfect.
  • Dungeon Hunter 2 - Controls feel tight and near perfect.
  • Galaxy on Fire 2 -works well with a Fling for flying, but I don't recommend it; it is impractical because it can overlay autopilot destinations and you need to remove it to navigate within a space station after docking.
  • Geometry Wars - Controls feel tight and near perfect.
  • FIFA 11 - Controls feel tight and near perfect.
  • Meteor Blitz HD - Controls feel tight and near perfect.
  • MiniGore (iPhone) - Controls feel tight and near perfect.
  • Modern Combat 2 - Controls feel tight and near perfect.
  • NBA Jam (iPhone) - Controls feel tight and near perfect which was a very nice surprise!
  • Nova HD - Controls feel tight and near perfect
  • Pocket Legends - Controls feel tight and near perfect.
  • Ridge Racer HD - Controls feel tight and near perfect. Control option 3 works best (analog slider). Control option 4 is good, but the dead zone is pretty wide
  • Sacred Odyssey - Cannot properly run without pushing the stick to the extreme edges. Walking is fine and feels responsive, but running does not feel right.
  • Shadow Guardian - Cannot properly run without pushing the stick to the extreme edges. Walking is fine and feels responsive, but running does not feel right.
  • Shinobi III (iPhone) - Controls are fine, but feel a little loose since the game is scaled. The dead zone seems a little too wide.
  • Spiderman - Conrols feel tight and near perfect.
  • Sonic 1/2 (iPhone) - Controls are fine, but feel a little loose since the game is scaled. The dead zone seems a little too wide.
  • Sonic 4 - Left and Right movement is fine, cannot push down to crouch or use spin dash for some reason. Not sure why, it works fine without the Fling attached.
  • Street Fighter IV - Hard to reach the edges to perform specials. Controls feel a bit too big to play comfortably.
  • Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 - Control feels good with good response. Specials are a little difficult to pull off, need more time on this to see if practice will make it better.
  • Zombie Infection - Controls feel tight and near perfect.

Gamecenter: MicroByte
Jetpack Joyride: all 125 medals :: Golden Tophat winner :: Special Half-Brick Prize
Playing: Sonic Racing Transformed | Giant Boulder of Death | Dead Trigger 2 | Jetpack Joyride

Last edited by MicroByte; 02-17-2011 at 10:45 PM.
02-16-2011, 12:23 PM
*reserved in case I need more space*

Jetpack Joyride: all 125 medals :: Golden Tophat winner :: Special Half-Brick Prize
Playing: Sonic Racing Transformed | Giant Boulder of Death | Dead Trigger 2 | Jetpack Joyride

02-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Sacred Odyssey HD isn't great with it because you can't run, only walk...similar to Dead Space. Zombie Infection was pretty good with one. Aralon is okay, not great but not bad, probably will improve when the iPad UI update comes out. Dungeon Defenders is awesome with a Fling. Modern Combat 2 is awesome with two Flings. Gangstar Miami was so much easier to drive with a Fling analog placed over Wheel mode controls that it was quite a blessing. It's also okay for walking around without needing to adjust the Fling between the wheel and v-pad...I recommend using it. Dungeon Hunter 2 HD and Pocket Legends are much more comfortable playing with a Fling than without. Galaxy on Fire 2 works well with a Fling for flying, but I don't recommend it; it is impractical because it can overlay autopilot destinations and you need to remove it to navigate within a space station after docking.

I agree that it's great with CoD Zombies HD, and with Dead Space not so hot. Though Dead Space controls work so well for me the Fling wasn't necessary.
02-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks Jongjungbu, I've added your comments to the list.

02-17-2011, 10:49 PM
I've added a few more games to my list as well as a video for Ridge Racer HD that I picked up last night. The Fling is almost perfect for this game with Control Setting #3!

Youtube link | Pop Up

02-18-2011, 01:37 PM
I tested out Bug Heroes now that it has updated to universal. It works perfect with either 1 or 2 Flings.

Also tested out Star Battalion HD, works fine as well with one Fling controller.

Lego Harry Potter HD works pretty good when virtual d-pad is enabled, though not perfect. Since the virtual d-pad is dynamic on-screen, it can occasionally relocate off-center to your Fling if you accidentally lift your finger off for a moment when pushing the stick to the extreme edges. It is still better with the Fling controller than without, but it's not flawless.
02-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Infinity Field is another game they work really well with