★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How do you report Private Message spam?

02-18-2011, 12:18 PM
#1
How do you report Private Message spam?

What’s the best way to report PM spam? (Thankfully, not that common )

I’ve gotten Private Message spam advertising A+ Weight Tracker and Fruit Ninja, and it looks like I’m not alone. (The user sent to multiple recipients, their Current Activity is sending PMs, they joined today, and haven never posted in the forums. I have the username/# but I didn’t want to start a messy public accusation.)

I didn’t notice any way to report a Private Message, so I used the Contact Us link at the bottom, but after submitting, some vBulletin error comes up about “invalid message” or something.

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)
02-18-2011, 01:32 PM
#2
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 4,568
You can forward those PM's to mods. You can put multiple mods in the "Recipients:" for the fastest action.

To send to multiple people do:

zincous ; imnosuperman ; prab ; davemc99 ; boardumb

(Five max at one time)

Leave their quoted message, and add your message below to why it's being reported etc.


Twitter: @Zincous

02-18-2011, 01:40 PM
#3
Thanks!

(For posterity: is there a link that lists who the mods are? I could have sworn there was, but now I don’t see it. But you can always poke around and stumble across a mod before long anyway )

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)
02-18-2011, 01:49 PM
#4
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: 31.560499, -111.904128
Posts: 7,471
I just had some spam from this guy, advertising Angry Birds: Seasons and some weight loss app. I deleted the message though, was going to try and report it but I found out that I can't.

Hakuna Matata
02-18-2011, 01:50 PM
#5
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 4,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams Immersive View Post
Thanks!

(For posterity: is there a link that lists who the mods are? I could have sworn there was, but now I don’t see it. But you can always poke around and stumble across a mod before long anyway )
Yup on http://forums.toucharcade.com/index.php just above the "User's online" and below the last sub-forum, you'll see a "View forum leaders".

That link is this one: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showgroups.php

Shows who the admins and mods are and who is online.

Twitter: @Zincous
02-18-2011, 01:53 PM
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincous View Post
There it is! Thanks.

(I have to wonder where these kinds of spam are coming from. You wouldn’t think established companies like Rovio would do this... so are these spammers linking to fake clones of established apps? Or maybe “real” companies unknowingly hire shady marketers? I’m trying to follow the money trail in my mind but it doesn’t make sense!)

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)
02-18-2011, 01:53 PM
#7
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 4,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
I just had some spam from this guy, advertising Angry Birds: Seasons and some weight loss app. I deleted the message though, was going to try and report it but I found out that I can't.
Thanks

Twitter: @Zincous
02-18-2011, 01:55 PM
#8
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 163
Yup, I got spammed, too, but not by the guy LBG posted. The spammer who sent me a message was this guy: http://forums.toucharcade.com/member.php?u=80009

The spam said it was for A+ weight tracker and fruit ninja, but the fruit ninja link really went to angry birds seasons or some knock off of it. (No, I didn't click on the link, but moused over it and saw what the link said. )

Last edited by Scrooge; 02-18-2011 at 01:57 PM.
02-18-2011, 02:04 PM
#9
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 4,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge View Post
Yup, I got spammed, too, but not by the guy LBG posted. The spammer who sent me a message was this guy: http://forums.toucharcade.com/member.php?u=80009

The spam said it was for A+ weight tracker and fruit ninja, but the fruit ninja link really went to angry birds seasons or some knock off of it. (No, I didn't click on the link, but moused over it and saw what the link said. )
Seems like there are lots of these users today

Twitter: @Zincous
02-19-2011, 12:46 AM
#10
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Posts: 7,681
Also got a spam PM.