★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Painkiller by Chillingo

02-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology [Original Poster]
Painkiller by Chillingo

"You take on the role of Daniel Garner, who perishes alongside his wife in a car accident. Sent to Purgatory, you have to defeat four of Lucifer's generals in order to prevent a war between the angels and hell's army.

A number of weapons will be at your disposal in the iPhone release, including The Painkiller (a three-bladed weapon used to carve-up creatures), a shotgun, and a stake gun.

Garner is controlled using two on-screen virtual analogue sticks, which, according to Modojo, could use a little more work before its final release.

Painkiller is not expected to be released for at least a month - plenty of time for Chillingo and the currently unnamed developer - to iron out any issues."

02-18-2011, 11:24 PM
I remember this...

Some early videos:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up

Follow me (@zeroxharuhi) on Twitter!

02-19-2011, 12:55 AM
Looks cool, the graphics need to be sharper though.

Waiting for: Forgotten Memories, M.U.S.E, The Shadow Sun, Galaxy On Fire 3, Daredevil Dave 2, JumpKnight: Missions, Topia: Age of Creation, Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land, Sniper: Ghost Warrior, Max Payne, 2013: Infected Wars, Battlefield 3: Aftershock.
02-19-2011, 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinice View Post
Looks cool, the graphics need to be sharper though.
You are an idiot. The game just needs to run and have good game play. It looks better every fps on the market.

Coordinator @ Fat Thunder
Fatthunder.com
facebook.com/fatthunder
twitter.com/fat_thunder
02-19-2011, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrco View Post
You are an idiot. The game just needs to run and have good game play. It looks better every fps on the market.
How can you even judge when you haven't even seen any actual gameplay videos? And I didn't say the game is automatically bad because of the graphics. I'm just saying it from what I see, which happens to be the uploaded pictures.

Waiting for: Forgotten Memories, M.U.S.E, The Shadow Sun, Galaxy On Fire 3, Daredevil Dave 2, JumpKnight: Missions, Topia: Age of Creation, Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land, Sniper: Ghost Warrior, Max Payne, 2013: Infected Wars, Battlefield 3: Aftershock.
02-19-2011, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrco View Post
The bolded part is so not true. DMC4 ran great and it had good gameplay, but the graphics were just sooo terrible that I had to delete it.

But what you all have to remember is that this is Chillingo, and 99% of their games are classics.
03-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Painkiller now has a banner on the front page.
03-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Game looks good but like others have said,when games attempt to look really realistic and it ends up looking all rough and patched then i don't like it. I'll make sure to give it a chance i just hope it's not running around mashing the attack button on everything.
03-01-2011, 06:40 PM
The currently unnamed developer is MachineWorks, the artistes behind such iOS classics as Prey and Duke Nukem 3D.

Yeah, those guys.

This looks pretty much exactly like the unplayable turd I bought for the iPad a few months ago. I can almost guarantee that even if they've fixed the myriad problems the game had in it's original release, the update will not be available to suckers like me who picked it up before they has a publisher.

But no, I'm not bitter at all. Not in the least.
03-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Yeah texture resolution is really low. Some OpenGL ES 2.0 wouldn't hurt either.