Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

Default CRUX Crosswords - now Universal!

*** iPhone 5 LAUNCH SALE 60% OFF *** Universal Crossword Puzzle App
Now with iCloud puzzle sync, iOS 6, and iPhone 5 (taller display) support!

CRUX brings you a beautiful, fun, and intuitive way to solve crossword puzzles on your iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch.

★ Excellent ★ - WIRED App Guide : "The best crossword app for the iPad"

★★★★★ - AppAdvice.com : "A Word Puzzler’s Delight"

★★★★ - PadGadget.com : "A highly polished crossword app with tons of features"

★★★★☆ - TouchArcade.com : "Crossword Puzzles Have Never Looked This Good"

★★★★☆ - TapMag.co.uk : "A well-developed crossword puzzler that should keep addicts happy."

CRUX presents the best crossword puzzles on the perfect platform for solving them. There are thousands of high-quality puzzles available for download from newspapers and other sources around the world. No matter if you're new to crosswords or a seasoned wordsmith, CRUX is great for everyone, and includes:

- Multiple modes help you focus on what's important
-- "Intersecting" presents a mini-puzzle made from the selected entry and all crossing entries
-- "Incomplete" shows you only what's left
-- "Related" shows only the themed or otherwise related entries
- Related entries are automatically highlighted in all modes
- Swipe gestures for directly picking any across/down entry from the grid
- Enter letters as pen or pencil
- Enter multiple letters in a cell ("rebus" entry)
- Timer with pause feature
- Clear/check/reveal a cell, entry, or the entire puzzle
- View and sort downloaded puzzles by day, month, constructor, recently opened, etc.

- Support for multiple users sharing one iPad
- iPad "Home row" control layout lets you solve a puzzle fast without moving your hands
- iPad 3-speed directional pad for cell-by-cell navigation

CRUX ships with 15 all-new and exclusive CRUX Starter puzzles by accomplished constructor Andrew Ries - no additional purchase or download required!

In addition, CRUX currently supports the following US-style online sources:

- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Cox & Rathvon / Hook Sunday
- Houston Chronicle
- Ink Well
- I Swear
- Jonesin'
- NY Times Classic
* NY Times Daily
* NY Times Monthly Bonus
- Onion A.V. Club
- People Magazine
- Philadelphia Inquirer
- Thinks.com
- Washington Post Daily
- Washington Post Puzzler
- Washington Post TV

And these UK-style sources:

• Globe And Mail Cryptic
• Globe And Mail Quick
• Independent Concise
• Independent Cryptic
• Manchester Evening News
• Sydney Morning Herald Cryptic (2002-2009)
• Sydney Morning Herald Quick (2002-2009)
✻ Telegraph Cryptic
✻ Telegraph General Knowledge
✻ Telegraph General Knowledge Quick
✻ Telegraph Quick
✻ Telegraph Toughie

* These puzzles are available with a NY Times Premium Crossword Membership. NY Times home delivery customers can sign up online for a membership at no additional cost.

✻ The Telegraph puzzles are available with an online subscription. 7-day free trial available at: http://puzzles.telegraph.co.uk/site/register_free_trial

Last edited by rumsoft; 09-23-2012 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: updated appinfo
Old 02-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

Crossword puzzles might not be the most exciting "game" for everyone, but for those of us who have found the iPad to be a great way to solve them, I hope this app proves to be a better alternative to what's currently available. I know we're excited about it!

We're planning to release a bunch of new and innovative features over the coming months. If anybody has any suggestions on what they want to see first, just let us know. And we're happy to add any newspaper or other puzzle sources that we might have missed.

Enjoy!
Old 02-19-2011, 02:28 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Just grabbed this - very nice interface and easy to use but as with any crossword app, it's the quality of the crosswords that is more important.

Would be *LOVELY* to have The Telegraph or the Times in here, i.e. a few English ones...
Old 02-19-2011, 02:43 PM

When you say 'thousands of high-quality puzzles available for download' does that mean once you've downloaded them, they stay in the app and are available if your iPad is offline?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2011, 02:48 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreakuency View Post
When you say 'thousands of high-quality puzzles available for download' does that mean once you've downloaded them, they stay in the app and are available if your iPad is offline?

Thanks
Having played around for about 10 mins, there are 17 newspapers, each with the most recent crosswords and previous puzzles. You have to select a newspaper and then a date to download a puzzle but once you do, you can access it from "My Recent Puzzles" even when offline (just tested it). It doesn't take long to select a bunch of crosswords.

REQUEST: Option to select favourite puzzles that are always downloaded when you open the app or in the background (so you always have your favourite puzzle whether connected or not).
Old 02-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefiddy View Post
Would be *LOVELY* to have The Telegraph or the Times in here, i.e. a few English ones...
We do plan to include UK-style crosswords and, more generally, puzzles in different styles and from other countries. I'll see what I can do to move that higher up on the priority list. Thanks for the purchase and the feedback!
Old 02-19-2011, 03:50 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

@rumsoft -

I currently use Crosswords - which to my mind has been the definitive crossword puzzle app. I certainly don't mind getting another quality crossword app, but would love to know if the sources are fixed, or can you add your own (my only complaint about Crosswords is that you can't add additional sources)? Also, what sources do you pull from, do you have a current complete list?

Also, from the screenshots, I note that you have New York Times daily - There is a New York Times Crossword app that requires a subscription, and Crosswords also requires a subscription for this (as well as Telegraph UK). Are these included or is there additional subscription requirements for some of your sources.

Thanks for the information, and good luck with your app!
Old 02-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreakuency View Post
As Treefiddy already said: yes, once you've downloaded a puzzle it's available on your device even if you're later offline.

I just wanted to clarify that this does not work in conjunction with the multi-user feature. If one user downloads a puzzle, then the next user on the same device that opens that same puzzle will need to download it again. If that's a problem for people then we will consider changing it in the future.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefiddy View Post
REQUEST: Option to select favourite puzzles that are always downloaded when you open the app or in the background (so you always have your favourite puzzle whether connected or not).
I can bump this one up the list too. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
I certainly don't mind getting another quality crossword app, but would love to know if the sources are fixed, or can you add your own (my only complaint about Crosswords is that you can't add additional sources)?
The list of sources is currently fixed. We plan to add a mechanism for ad hoc sources but we're not quite there yet.

Are there any specific sources you're interested in? We might be able to add them to the fixed list sooner than we can provide a general solution for user-driven sources.