★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: THANK YOU FOR ALL THE DOWNLOADS,
UPDATED THE GAME WITH 20 EXTRA LEVELS!

I LOVE PUZZLES. I love solving puzzles in games like Zelda and Lolo and that is why I made this game. Puzzle of the Dead (POTD) features over 80 puzzles to solve (and there are more coming if people like this game), all packaged together with a cute little story about an odd little boy named Pip.

=========== REVIEWS ===========

"the game is an absolute hit, a brilliant addiction to the puzzle genre."
/iphoneitalia.com

"What you are getting here is an atmospheric, challenging and gorgeous puzzle game, and if you are a fan of the classics from the past, then pretty much an essential download." Rating: 91% - thesmartphoneappreview.com

"Puzzle of the Dead is a great title for puzzle fans, especially if youre an admirer of the old Zelda games. Ive been enjoying it immensely!"
- appaddict.net

=========== STORY ===========

Pip is an odd lad. He is in love with a girl who doesn't love him back.

If only he had a gift to woo her affection

"Come here sad little boy." whispered an old, haggard witch.

"I will answer your prayer, but I'll need you to collect some souls from the dead."

[...]

The game will take you from dark cemeteries to haunted churches, all the way down to the burning pits of Hell.

=========== FEATURES ===========

- 80 levels, starting with easy to learn the ropes, but then becoming a real challenge even for puzzle-heads.
- Dozens of different enemies and objects to interact with
- Learn how to turn things into stone or burn them down with fire to solve new problems
- Charming pixel-graphics
- Exciting boss-battles
- An intriguing story
- Original eery soundtrack
- Updates with more levels and bosses
02-22-2011, 04:52 AM
I'd be interested to hear what the controls are like, the gameplay video is certainly interesting.

Youtube link | Pop Up

02-22-2011, 06:02 AM
bought! btw you had me at lolo...
02-22-2011, 06:26 AM
Glorious icon!

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
02-22-2011, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanikal fiend View Post
bought! btw you had me at lolo...
Looking forward to your impression. It looks kind of like another retro-style, block pushing game I am really into at the moment, Block Rogue.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
02-22-2011, 06:57 AM
ok i played through a little bit.
initial impressions.
plays alot like lolo from NES. fun. i think its more puzzle orientated than block rogue. graphics are clean and nice.

seems like the 40 levels is just the first part to the game. there is a level selector which says "the cemetary" (typo) and has all of the 40 levels. yet it only uses half of the screen. So hopefully more levels are coming.

if you like Adventures of Lolo, you will absolutely love this one. seems a little short now, but for 1 dollar, can't really complain..

recommended by me!

plan on playing straight through this one, and will report back once i am at least half done.
02-22-2011, 07:18 AM
Quote:
ok i played through a little bit.
initial impressions.
plays alot like lolo from NES. fun. i think its more puzzle orientated than block rogue. graphics are clean and nice.

seems like the 40 levels is just the first part to the game. there is a level selector which says "the cemetary" (typo) and has all of the 40 levels. yet it only uses half of the screen. So hopefully more levels are coming.

if you like Adventures of Lolo, you will absolutely love this one. seems a little short now, but for 1 dollar, can't really complain..

recommended by me!

plan on playing straight through this one, and will report back once i am at least half done.
Honestly, I don't know if I have ever played Adventures of Lolo. If I did, it was so long ago I can't remember...

So it's more than a straight Sokoban game then?

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
02-22-2011, 07:43 AM
i was gonna wait till i got to level 20 to type this, but since im on 19 now..

the point of the game is to collect all of the orbs on a level then you have to pick up a key before making it to the exit (always same place on top center of screen). you push blocks around to solve puzzles, sort of like sokoban, but its more than just making paths, Sometimes you must push the blocks into water to make a bridge, or blocking an enemies attack with it. the first puzzles introduce the techniques quite well, with the difficulty increasing after. its almost exactly like Adventures of Lolo, but with different enemy types.

the controls work great. Its a got swipe to move, but you can also hold your finger and get a virtual analog stick to use for movement.

Puzzles are fun and varying. Puzzle of the Dead has a medal system for each level with a timer at the top that starts at a golden skull and ticks down to silver then bronze so you always know what medal you are getting.

I'm only half way done, and i already really like this one! i hope it gets updated with more levels, because its a lot of fun, and has good controls.
02-22-2011, 07:47 AM
Quote:
i was gonna wait till i got to level 20 to type this, but since im on 19 now..

the point of the game is to collect all of the orbs on a level then you have to pick up a key before making it to the exit (always same place on top center of screen). you push blocks around to solve puzzles, sort of like sokoban, but its more than just making paths, Sometimes you must push the blocks into water to make a bridge, or blocking an enemies attack with it. the first puzzles introduce the techniques quite well, with the difficulty increasing after. its almost exactly like Adventures of Lolo, but with different enemy types.

the controls work great. Its a got swipe to move, but you can also hold your finger and get a virtual analog stick to use for movement.

Puzzles are fun and varying. Puzzle of the Dead has a medal system for each level with a timer at the top that starts at a golden skull and ticks down to silver then bronze so you always know what medal you are getting.

I'm only half way done, and i already really like this one! i hope it gets updated with more levels, because its a lot of fun, and has good controls.
Cheers, thanks for the impressions. I'm well on my way to buying it now...

Since there are 60 levels, it seems that's good for at least an hour of gameplay. Seems worth the 99 cents.

02-22-2011, 07:55 AM
i thought i read that it only had 40 levels. that would explain why "the cemetary" only took up half of the level select screen more must unlock as the storyline progresses. with the 60 puzzles its a great deal for a buck!