★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Devs: Don't do this!

02-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Devs: Don't do this!

My number one pet peeve is apps that don't rotate when you turn your iOS device. Even if your app is built for only one viewing display (i.e. portrait), not being able to flip my ipad over sucks! I often play games in the evening while sitting on the couch and have my ipad plugged in to recharge. With it plugged in, i cant rest the ipad on anything bcause the power cord is in the way. If i were able to just flip my ipad around and view the app in portrait mode my problem would be solved! Unfortunately, almost no one builds this type of simple functionality into their apps, even though it was supposed to be one of those common features that all iOS devices had.

The same goes for landscape viewing -- with my device plugged in, my movement is limited by the length of the power cord. If your app is only viewable in landscape and my power socket is on the other side, it makes it impossible to use the app while plugged in, as i lose 12 inches just wrapping the power cord around to the other side of the ipad.
02-22-2011, 01:30 PM
I 100% agree with you and have the same problem with many games.

It's also trivial to add to a game, no reason not to do it really.

02-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
My number one pet peeve is apps that don't rotate when you turn your iOS device. Even if your app is built for only one viewing display (i.e. portrait), not being able to flip my ipad over sucks! I often play games in the evening while sitting on the couch and have my ipad plugged in to recharge. With it plugged in, i cant rest the ipad on anything bcause the power cord is in the way. If i were able to just flip my ipad around and view the app in portrait mode my problem would be solved! Unfortunately, almost no one builds this type of simple functionality into their apps, even though it was supposed to be one of those common features that all iOS devices had.

The same goes for landscape viewing -- with my device plugged in, my movement is limited by the length of the power cord. If your app is only viewable in landscape and my power socket is on the other side, it makes it impossible to use the app while plugged in, as i lose 12 inches just wrapping the power cord around to the other side of the ipad.
Apple requires apps to work in two landscape or two portrait orientations on the iPad. If the games you are playing do not support this, then Apple is failing to test for that ability. They were rejecting apps right and left a year ago for not supporting both versions of an orientation.
02-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little White Bear Studios View Post
Apple requires apps to work in two landscape or two portrait orientations on the iPad. If the games you are playing do not support this, then Apple is failing to test for that ability. They were rejecting apps right and left a year ago for not supporting both versions of an orientation.
A lot of the stuff I play on my iPad is not universal, so they're not required to support both orientations, though they should anyway.
02-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygambit View Post
A lot of the stuff I play on my iPad is not universal, so they're not required to support both orientations, though they should anyway.
Sure, it'd be nice if that were true. But it's not trivial to add to all games. Some would be easy, some not so easy. Devs have to weigh the cost of doing it vs the benefit.
02-22-2011, 05:56 PM
I can't see why the O/S doesn't do this automatically tbh, at least in terms of flipping just upside down from the default orientation. You're right that it's easy for devs to do this, but easier still (and more stable for the end users) is to not require them to do it at all!

Flipping between portrait and landscape can be harder. It's not so much about the gameplay as most 2D and almost all 3D games could probably handle the effects of that - it's the layout of the GUI elements which is a pita even in just one orientation. If you're not careful you end up with a tiny rectangle in the middle of the screen that fits into the lowest common denominator and becomes crap for everybody.

Last edited by Rubicon; 02-22-2011 at 05:59 PM.
02-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little White Bear Studios View Post
Sure, it'd be nice if that were true. But it's not trivial to add to all games. Some would be easy, some not so easy. Devs have to weigh the cost of doing it vs the benefit.
Mmmm yes it is? I'm just talking about landscape right and left support. There's really not much to it for a game.

Can you give an example of it taking time to add? What would the difficulties be?
02-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygambit View Post
Mmmm yes it is? I'm just talking about landscape right and left support. There's really not much to it for a game.

Can you give an example of it taking time to add? What would the difficulties be?
Yes, when I made an iPad version of my most popular iPhone game last year, which was never designed to rotate when it came out in 2008, it was a pain to add rotation, and took a few days to get it working correctly without totally hosing all the various views in play. Not all games are OpenGL. Ultimately, I found a good solution that I could certainly use across all my iPhone apps, but it'd probably take a day each to implement (I've got 8 iPhone apps), and would not increase sales in the slightest. Plus, I've only received a handful of requests for it over the last 2.5 years, out of millions of copies, so it certainly doesn't seem like a priority to most of my customers.
02-22-2011, 09:06 PM
a lil more thought goes a long way ...
02-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Well usualy ipad apps get tested for the support of at least 2 orientations, and rejected if they dont support it, so most should be fine.

This does not take iphone apps into account, which is logical

As for playing while recharging.. Well charge it over night while you sleep, problem solved without any coding involved