★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Vans SK8 control help/Stratagies

03-31-2009, 05:37 PM
Vans SK8 control help/Stratagies

i just got done lokking at the Vans SK8 reviews and saw that alot of people were having trouble with the controls. The game is controlable and it's simple. If u want to move forward tilt ur Ipod up, if u want to move back tilt it back , left tilt left, right tilt right. If u want to score high the easiest thing to do is to do is to hold a grind untill ur multiplier reaches 5 then try to land some high scoreing tricks with the multiplier

I have already unlocked all the acheivements except for the Score 10,000,000 lifetime because that would take for ever other than that i have all the boards and wheel except for 1 wheel

If u have some more questions Qoute this back and i'll try and answer

Game Center ID:
Chukwuka13

Last edited by salsamd; 03-31-2009 at 05:51 PM.
04-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chukwuka13 View Post
I have already unlocked all the acheivements except for the Score 10,000,000 lifetime because that would take for ever other than that i have all the boards and wheel except for 1 wheel
Wow, very impressive! You must have been playing this a lot over the last couple days. Glad you liked the game, let me know here or via PM what you'd like to see in future versions or if you've noticed any problems that we need to look into.

Brian Robbins
Founder, Riptide Games, developers of Ultimate Battle Zombies, My Pet Zombie, Mini Monster Smash, iLookApps, Bop It! and more.
04-01-2009, 01:40 AM
Brian, I am not one to just critique, as you already know I'm a big fan of Vans Sk8 one bit of fodder for thought maybe for a future update is; X and Y tilt calibration. It would make it really accessable for my lazy self to play while reclining, laying etc..

The only other thing I could suggest is the ability to either drastically slow down my skate dude or stop. I would envision this as on a flat spot in the pool, and a simple center of screen "tap or double tap" then I could just tilt around to see where garbage bags and such are located, then tap again to advance in the direction you are pointed.

Obviously, neither of my suggestions is absolutely necessary, just a few minor things for Fuel to mull over. Thank you

Richard

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon
04-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
Brian, I am not one to just critique, as you already know I'm a big fan of Vans Sk8 one bit of fodder for thought maybe for a future update is; X and Y tilt calibration. It would make it really accessable for my lazy self to play while reclining, laying etc..
It's already in there!

Calibration is done 2 ways - First, every time you start a run it will reset the calibration so whatever angle you are holding the device at is the "home" position and tilting forward or back from there will take you in the desired direction.

While in the middle of a run you can reset this by tapping the screen with 3 fingers. That will set the "home" position to however you are currently holding the device.

We didn't do extensive playtesting while laying down but in theory it should work. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
The only other thing I could suggest is the ability to either drastically slow down my skate dude or stop. I would envision this as on a flat spot in the pool, and a simple center of screen "tap or double tap" then I could just tilt around to see where garbage bags and such are located, then tap again to advance in the direction you are pointed.
Interesting, I'll get it in our list of suggestions.

Brian Robbins
Founder, Riptide Games, developers of Ultimate Battle Zombies, My Pet Zombie, Mini Monster Smash, iLookApps, Bop It! and more.
04-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubane View Post
It's already in there!

Calibration is done 2 ways - First, every time you start a run it will reset the calibration so whatever angle you are holding the device at is the "home" position and tilting forward or back from there will take you in the desired direction.

While in the middle of a run you can reset this by tapping the screen with 3 fingers. That will set the "home" position to however you are currently holding the device.

We didn't do extensive playtesting while laying down but in theory it should work. . .
Okay, I didn't believe this at first as what kept happening to me (I'm sure it happened to you too) is that I just kept skating south/ down cause I was playing in bed with the device tilted towards me.

After reading Dubane's comment I figured what the hell and kept my device still during the 10 second stage loading, and lo and behold it worked!

Here's the problem: the devs wanted this to work behind the scenes so when you start playing, the calibration should be perfectly set up by the time you start your run. The reality however is that the loading is long (10 seconds) and people don't stare at the loading with their device perfectly still for 10 seconds. What they do is relax a bit and let the device fall back away from them during the wait, and when everything changes from the red loading screen to the light brown and grey of the pool, they pay attention and tilt the device back to "rest", while the game reads it as tilting up. That's why people always end up skating south.

People won't hold their device still for auto calibration if they don't know about it, especially if they are holding the device while in bed, etc. Maybe if the load time was shorter, but not as it is now.

This problem occurs for people sitting in bed or anytime when the rest position isn't parallel to the floor. People always tend to let the iPhone droop a bit during loading not realizing it's throwing off the calibration.

Solution? Quite easy: during that particular loading screen, simply say at the bottom "Auto calibration, please hold your device at rest position while it calibrates". Either that or cut down the load time so that people holding the screen steady waiting for the game don't have time to get bored and let it droop.

Oh yeah I tried the 3 finger thing, didn't notice anything really.

Last edited by arta; 04-01-2009 at 03:18 PM.