★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Random Act of Generosity Thread Lock?

02-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Random Act of Generosity Thread Lock?

Hey,

The Random Act of Generosity thread in the Lounge is now locked... what is the meaning of this? How will I randomly disperse a copy of Corporate Fury now?!?
02-23-2011, 08:36 PM
I encouraged people to visit the site I made for it, so I got an infraction, the thread was locked, and some posts were deleted in the group.

02-23-2011, 08:37 PM
Can I formally ask the Random Acts of Generosity thread in the Lounge be re-opened through this channel? I think it provides a good outlet for forum members to exchange favorable games.

If the thread close was as Paradiso said I'm hopeful the problem has been solved and although on that logic I could open a fresh thread I'd hate to duplicate. The random game recommendations thread in general discussion is a good catch all for advice and the random acts of generosity thread could likewise serve as a catch-all for exchanging gifts or even err... members asking for donations. Thanks for the consideration, moderators!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiso View Post
I encouraged people to visit the site I made for it, so I got an infraction, the thread was locked, and some posts were deleted in the group.
Thanks for answer Paradiso.

Last edited by undeadcow; 02-23-2011 at 08:47 PM.
02-23-2011, 08:52 PM
The infraction was for self promotion, but IMNS never said why the thread was locked, I just assumed the same reason.
02-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiso View Post
The infraction was for self promotion, but IMNS never said why the thread was locked, I just assumed the same reason.
Any clarification from moderators? Please advise.
02-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Guys, We have followed the same rules for over two years now. You cannot self-promote or link to any website that has to do with you. So, "Hey! Check out my site" is a no-no, but if someone goes "Hey, check out this site I found" that's ok. Anyways, the rules aren't hard to understand, but the issue was that the thread broke one of the rules. Plus, we have the group we can use, and I am sure if you REALLY needed it, you can always start another thread. That one was getting off-topic anyways
02-24-2011, 05:30 AM
There were a couple of things wrong with the thread. Non-dev giveaway and (later) self promotion. Forum rules dont allow anyone to giveaway codes (and hold any contests) unless they are devs and this is the reason behind it as far as I understand it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSuperMan View Post
At the expense of going even more off topic, it wont make any difference if you are giving away the promo codes or gift codes. Most of these giveaways have the agenda of advertising their Twitter/blog/youtube etc in one way or the other and it'll be downright impossible to keep track of everyone doing these giveaways and check if he is trying to benefit from it. No site will ever allow anyone to use their forums for free advertisement. I think TA makes an exception for devs only coz their presence here is one of the major reason why its more active than any other iPhone forum. Thats why TA gives them special privileges to make sure they dont feel restricted here.
So paradiso's thread should have been locked from the moment it began but we let it slide coz the idea was kind of interesting and paradiso didnt have any previous infractions and didnt even have anything to advertise in his sig. So I thought it wont hurt much if an exception was made for that particular thread. Unfortunately, it ended up exactly how I feared such threads would end up.

Sorry. Rules are rules. No self promotion is allowed. Since thats what I feared would happen in such threads and it actually did happen, I couldnt let the thread stay as it's simply not possible to keep checking all the posts just in case someone is trying to self promote.

Fwiw, I really liked the idea of that thread though.
02-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the clarification, I'mNoSuperman. It was a cool idea though so sorry to see it dismantled.
02-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
Hey,

The Random Act of Generosity thread in the Lounge is now locked... what is the meaning of this? How will I randomly disperse a copy of Corporate Fury now?!?
you could randomly dispense it into my email

edit: i sense a social group beginning to form......

ssɐ sıɥ dn ɯǝɥʇ ǝʌoɥs puɐ sƃuıɹ dıɥsuoıdɯɐɥɔ sǝıɹǝs plɹoʍ ㄥᄅ sǝǝʞuɐʎ ǝɥʇ ǝʞɐʇ uɐɔ ıpɹɐɹıƃ ǝoɾ
02-24-2011, 03:18 PM
There should be just an area where members can hold contests! Just my opinion...

I review apps on my YouTube channel! If you would like me to review your app then message me! CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF GAMES I'VE BETA TESTED