★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: 6th Planet - by Monkube

02-24-2011, 10:28 AM
6th Planet - by Monkube

Hi,

Monkube is a new Belgian game developer. We just released our first game, 6th Planet. We're creating this thread because we heard the Touch Arcade community always has a lot of feedback. And we're really interested to hear it, because a sequel is already in the works for 6th Planet. So, please don't hold back with you thoughts.

6th Planet is playable on iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. Open Feint leaderboards are supported. An update is already planned, with Open Feint achievements and more levels coming.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAIzrjCD3x0

Info:
6th Planet for iPhone & iPod Touch out now!

MONKUBE (TM), a new Belgian game developer founded by ex Official Playstation Magazine editor-in-chief Sven Van de Perre, is joining with renowned production studio Vivifilm, comic book publisher Ape Entertainment and a Marvel Comics artist to deliver a never before seen fusion between game and comic book.

-SHORT-
For the first time, 6th Planet (tm) combines accessible arcade gameplay with a full blown comic book story. This fusion between two popular media was realized through a cooperation with the renowned production studio Vivifilm, known for The Triplets of Belleville and The Secret of Kells, two animated features that received an Oscar nomination.

-THE GAME-
At its core, 6th Planet is an arcade game where the player has to guide a spacecraft to a landing zone without running out of fuel. Based on the Commodore 64 classic Lunar Lander, but polished by the standards gamers are used to today. The controls are kept as intuitive as possible: only two buttons are required to control the spacecraft. This gameplay layer is supported by a soundtrack consisting of nine tracks, featuring the works of ambient legends such as Gas (who also appears on the soundtrack of Osmos, a game that won almost every soundtrack award there is to win last year). The Story Mode, with up to 50 levels, combines different gameplay styles and shows almost 200 comic screens of the highest quality in between. With the assistance of Vivifilm and comic talent that worked for the prestigious Marvel Entertainment for years, a story was created that completes the gameplay in every way. In the meantime, the story has been picked up by comic book publisher Ape Entertainment and will soon be released as a stand alone product. The release will be digitally as well as printed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen 1.png
Views:	15
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	30336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen 2.png
Views:	6
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	30337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen 3.png
Views:	10
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	30338  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen 4.png
Views:	7
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	30339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen 5.png
Views:	6
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	30340  
02-24-2011, 10:39 AM

Youtube link | Pop Up

02-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Art work looks fantastic and the trailer was really well done. How does the game play?
02-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Love the art style.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
02-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Any plans to go Universal with this? i hardly play on my iPhone anymore. And x2 on iPad ruins a lot of the mood.
02-24-2011, 11:06 AM
looks pretty good. might pick this up.

Plus+/openfeint: nesio718 Game Center: panama chief
Playing: this new iPad....DAT RETINA!!!
Waiting for: SALES!!!!
02-24-2011, 11:18 AM
We certainly want to bring the game to iPad. It will take some time though, because we want the iPad version to be something special and not just an HD version. But I agree with the x2 thing, that ruins a lot of the graphics.
02-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegames View Post
Any plans to go Universal with this? i hardly play on my iPhone anymore. And x2 on iPad ruins a lot of the mood.
Nope, no Universal version planned. The thing is, we've got an amazing comic book layout (for the printed and digital stand alone version, which should released in a few weeks) at our disposal, so we want to really use the size of the iPad in the best way possible. But first, lets see if we can get this app loved by the iPhone crowd, and then take it from there.

Sven
Monkube
02-24-2011, 11:38 AM
The thing is, there is a 50 promo codes maximum by apple. And we've sent the press release to a massive amount of media (with more to follow in the coming days). But try it, you'll see that the three bucks will get you a long way in gameplay hours :-)
02-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Picked this up and it is really good. I am playing this on the iPad and the controls work perfectly and the graphics look nice as well.

Play mechanics are simple with just a left and right thruster. The music is well done and adds a lot to the experience.