★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

I don't mean to be rude but...

10-30-2008, 11:42 PM
I don't mean to be rude but...

Tell me why I should keep developing iPhone apps?

Ten thousand people downloaded my app while it was free for a couple of days. Nearly ten thousand people downloaded the free update, which means most people thought it was good enough to keep on their phones.

At least 3,000 people have downloaded the lite version so far.

Sounds pretty good right?

Yet, not enough people have downloaded the paid version for me to make a penny. Nothing. I don't think I'm greedy, but folks, I can't do this for free forever.

CALL to developers:

Stop giving away your stuff for free. You worked hard on it, it's worth something!

CALL to customers:

Stop expecting something for nothing.

CALL to Apple:

Set the minimum price tier in the app store to 99 cents. This is not a hardship to anybody who bought an iPhone.

Have at it folks, let the debate begin!

The postman
10-30-2008, 11:49 PM
I know exactly what you mean! I don't completely agree with you, I mean there should still be an option to develop free apps, but people have to stop expecting free stuff. I can't stand it when people complain over great apps costing money.

10-31-2008, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by postman View Post
Ten thousand people downloaded my app while it was free for a couple of days.

Yet, not enough people have downloaded the paid version for me to make a penny. Nothing. I don't think I'm greedy, but folks, I can't do this for free forever.
I think you may have run into the problem of setting the value of your app too low from the start. You made it free, thus setting its value. Then you raised the price, and people aren't interested because they know it was free before. It makes them think they're being charged too much.

Of course, there could be other factors as to why you aren't selling well. Too hard to tell, as I don't know what your app is.
10-31-2008, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by postman View Post
Tell me why I should keep developing iPhone apps?
1. It's fun!
2. Given the right price, right gameplay, right marketing, and a little bit of luck, you can make a whole lot of money.
3. Did I mention that it's fun?
10-31-2008, 01:27 AM
People do NOT expect something for nothing

It has been said countless times by all of us here, we will pay good money for a quality game

I have spent a load of money on games that I like

BTW, what app do you sell?
10-31-2008, 01:56 AM
Well mr. postman, 'i don't wanna be rude' but...why the hell should i care? Obviously your game wasn't good enough to attract paying customers so...as far as developing new games, well, it's a free country: do as you like.
10-31-2008, 02:25 AM
We could really do with finding out what The Postman's app is, only then can we ascertain the root of the problem for this particular case.
As others have said, people WILL pay for a quality app. So this app perhaps either wasn't as good as it could have been or it wasn't marketed very well. We won't know till we know what it is.
10-31-2008, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little White Bear Studios View Post
I think you may have run into the problem of setting the value of your app too low from the start. You made it free, thus setting its value. Then you raised the price, and people aren't interested because they know it was free before. It makes them think they're being charged too much.

Of course, there could be other factors as to why you aren't selling well. Too hard to tell, as I don't know what your app is.
I don't know if this is entirely true. If you consider Air Sharing, it was free for a long time, and now they charge $7ish. I think they're the possibly most popular app of that purpose, even if it is not clearly the best (I prefer FileMagnet, but I'm sure many will disagree, I think some people use datacase). I believe they've probably achieved this by having so many people getting it for free that it now gets around by word of mouth, even at a price. This is despite the fact that it's now more expensive than equivilant apps, and also came later than others.

Also, I think removing free apps would be a mistake, as I feel that it is what gets some people onto the store to begin with, who will later buy paid apps.
10-31-2008, 03:54 AM
Well I'm carrying on, even though my app hasn't done very well (not sure if I'll see a penny this year from sales, to be honest.) It may not be the most sensible use of my time, if my first app sales are anything to go on, but I enjoy it.

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website
10-31-2008, 03:57 AM
BTW: That they update does not mean that they have it on their phone. They just were too tired to delete it from iTunes.

I have 250 apps in iTunes. Guess what: Not all of them are on my phone. Many of them just sit in iTunes waiting for updates which make them suck less.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de