★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: |\\\> KOTAKU'S GAMING APP OF THE DAY FOR MARCH 25!(PLUS VERSION)
|\\\> A NEW SUB-GENRE IS BORN! DRILL-EM-UP! ONLY ONE IN THE APPSTORE RIGHT NOW!
|\\\\\\>"While I can't say The Drill Plus is a can't-put-it-down must, it is engaging and I admire both the self-deprecation of the design and its ease of use. Accelerometer games sometimes outsmart themselves by getting too technical with the controls. The Drill Plus doesn't." - KOTAKU
|\\\\\\>"Somewhat unique concept with a challenging final level."- APPSPY
|\\\\\\>" Im still not quite sure what the heck its all about, but I did quite enjoy tilting n drilling my way through this amusing little oddity."-IFANZINE
|\\\\\\>"Im here today to talk about a rare sub-genre of shoot-em-up (shmup) games called drill-em-ups. You see, specimens of this genre are so rare, that I can only think of one thats available on the iPhone, the aptly titled The Drill Plus" - NINEOVERTEN

|\\\> The game supports 2nd Gen, 3rd Gen, and 4th Gen iOS Devices (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad)
|\\\> NO. 1 DRILL GAME IN APPSTORE!
|\\\> Became theappwhisperer.com's APP OF THE DAY!
|\\\> Featured as one of the best free games of the day (Feb.25) by Thegametrail!

|\\\> There's no turning back! Destroy them all with your one drill or DIE! It's Drilling Time!
|\\\> Defeat monsters from another dimension, headed by THE ANGRY BEARD!

Drill you way to awesomeness as you help our hero become awesome!

"The Drill" features a highly engaging and seriously challenging gameplay of tilts and taps.Use your reflexes to tilt the drill on the right direction, avoid possible obstacles, and drill through everything else. You can also dash your way and destroy everything in your path!

A FULL GAME FOR FREE!

CONSTANT UPDATES!

Features:

*Old school video game sensibilites that will test your patience and determination to rule this game!

*Simple, engaging and easy-to-pick-up gameplay!

*Contains story mode and endless mode!

*20+ enemy drillables with a few surprises!

*5 challenging levels!

*Beat the challenge! Master the POWER

"The Drill Plus" is also available for $0.99 to those who want more. Plus version includes Gamecenter, Additional Storyline, Updates, Bonuses, and a lot of other surprises!

spotcatstudio's comments:
EDIT 8/17/2011: UPDATED VERSION 1.6 WITH HEYZAP NOW OUT!

NEW UPDATED VERSION 1.5 NOW AVAILABLE!

The Drill Now Ready for Drilling in the Itunes Appstore

|\\\> Download here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-drill/id414566644?mt=8&ls=1

Spotcat Studio just recently launched their iphone/ipod touch/ipad game The Drill! It is now available in the Itunes Appstore! A how to play video trailer was also released, as well as the launch trailer

It's Drilling Time! Drill you way to awesomeness as you help our hero become awesome!

"The Drill" features a highly engaging and seriously challenging gameplay of tilts and taps.Use your reflexes to tilt the drill on the right direction, avoid possible obstacles, and drill through everything else. You can also dash your way and destroy everything in your path!

A FULL GAME FOR FREE!

CONSTANT UPDATES!

Features:

*Simple, engaging and easy-to-pick-up gameplay!

*Contains story mode and endless mode!

*20+ enemy drillables with a few surprises!

*5 challenging levels!

*Beat the challenge! Master the POWER

Launch Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL53dfVPaSM

How to Play Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JnNJaJZYV8

The Drill (View in ITunes Store): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-drill/id414566644?mt=8&ls=1

The Drill Plus (View in iTunes Store): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-drill-plus/id417376289?mt=8&ls=1

The game supports 2nd Gen, 3rd Gen, and 4th Gen iOS Devices(iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad). "The Drill Plus" is also available for $0.99 to those who want more. Plus version includes Gamecenter, Additional Storyline, Updates, Bonuses, and a lot of other surprises!

THE DRILL was developed and created by Spotcat Studio, Spotcat Software Development – an indie game development team who believes that games are for fun, that both developers and gamers alike should have fun in developing and playing games. Spotcat Studio is a team of veteran game developers with a combined 10+ years of experience which includes 2-3 years iPhone development experience. You may reach them at: pau@spotcatstudio.com or you can visit their website at http://www.spotcatstudio.com Copyright 2011 Spotcat Studio, Spotcat Software Development. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.
02-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Buggy, occasional framerate drops on 3GS, and crashes often.*

Boring repetitive background.*
Obstacles have no relation to the thin story.*
Character, drill, and basic theme loosely copied from amine Gurren Lagann.

Edit: typed this from my phone, and I have no idea how all the *'s got in there.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind

Last edited by strivemind; 02-25-2011 at 11:46 PM.

02-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post

Yeah, I didn't like this one at all. I agree with the above and the music is absolutely headache inducing! Game play itself is boring to the bone! I deleted it really quickly!
02-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Okay...Point taken! We are taking note of constructive criticisms! We are in the process of of fixing things for an update soon! All replies and comments are welcome! Thanks!
02-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann much!?

People IM A GUY! Jan is a guys name, where I live. Haha crazy!
02-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatstudio View Post
Okay...Point taken! We are taking note of constructive criticisms! We are in the process of of fixing things for an update soon! All replies and comments are welcome! Thanks!
Right-on! I like your attitude! When you update it, I will certainly give it another try! I did not give a negative review on itunes and it's definitely nothing personal! Thanks!
03-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post

Edit: typed this from my phone, and I have no idea how all the *'s got in there.
We have fixed these issues on an update that we have already submitted to Apple around a week ago! We're waiting for the update be approved. Watch out for it!
03-10-2011, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann much!?
Yeah. a lot of people see the similarity... We have actually taken the time to change how the character look in an update! The similarity is actually not intended

This is how the character looked like at the start of development:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see we wanted someone in pajamas to drill space. However, the drill was too small and we wanted the character to be manlier/more manly, so we made the drill bigger and we made the shades look like shades for a manly man... The shades was changed however in the new update! to address the complaints of gurren lagann fans..
03-10-2011, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrand1 View Post
Right-on! I like your attitude! When you update it, I will certainly give it another try! I did not give a negative review on itunes and it's definitely nothing personal! Thanks!
Thanks man! We have already submitted an update! Still waiting for apple's approval though.... Hope you'll like it!

The team is dedicated to the evolution of the drill. We are open to suggestions and comment regarding how we can improve the game. Positive and negative responses alike are welcome!
03-10-2011, 06:54 AM
Thanks guys! Here's what I have to say regarding everything here.....

We wanted to create games that are free for everyone to play. The cost of living and the production budget in our country isn't that big. So we can afford to give a free to play full game but of course we cant continue on making games if we don't earn at least enough so we resorted to a free to play but with ads game. Its saddens us that people don't want the ads and really give us low ratings due to the ads. We also gave an option for them to buy a version with no ads so that they can help us in a way.

The main concept of the drill is an arcade type game with lots of male testosterone in it. Similar to old-school high action packed games in the arcade with a challenging difficulty. We used simple tilt controls and taps for the gameplay. We noticed games in iphone and ipod mostly are cutesy and very funky, so we made somewhat something very metal-like but bounds to that of a cute like art for the enemies. We apologize for the impression that we copied form an anime, truthfully we did have an inspiration from that. But we did not take any story or character. We really liked a drill as a main weapon rather than swords, flamethrowers, lawnmowers, chainsaws or guns. The main character of the drill is supposed to be a guy in pajamas with a super big drill in hand. We also do not show our main character's eyes. We want it to be its' trade mark. Our main character's shades happen to look similar to that of the anime character's. But in truth, the shape and color of the eye wear is different. In the new update coming, we have changed the main character's shades shape and color so that it will really be far from the said anime character. Also, we extended the storyline of the game so that it will not be associated with the said anime.

The gameplay is improved too in the new version with the addition of a combo system, improved enemy drill battles, and new obstacle patterns.

We hope you help us by downloading the game and reporting to us any bugs or suggestions you may have to improve this game. It has been a goal for us to deliver a fun new experience with everyone.

The next update release after this one, we are planning for the continued saga of the drillhero with new bonus levels.

Last edited by spotcatstudio; 03-10-2011 at 07:27 AM.