★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Rodeo Games
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 122.5 MB
  • Version: 1.17
  • Price: $4.99
  • Average User Rating: 3.7 (3)
App description: No 1 RPG / Strategy game in 16 countries!

Also available on iPhone and iPod Touch, Hunters: Episode One.

Set in a Universe where contracts rule, Hunters allows you to build a team of Mercenaries and become the most renowned Bounty Hunters in the Galaxy.

====================================

Final Fantasy Tactics. X-Com. Shining Force. All games that do turn-based strategy very well. If you have an iPhone or iPad, add Hunters to that list. - Kotaku

Jagged Alliance has gone spacewalking on the iOS - Touch My Apps

Boy oh boy, I cant say enough praise for Hunters Episode One. - No Dpad

Hunters HD is a must-download strategy game for the iOS - iPhone Strategy Games

This is one of the best turn-based games Ive ever played, on any platform. - Arcade Life

"I'm digging Hunters. It's an ambitious, deep title with tons of equipment and stat options and a lot of menus." - TOUCH ARCADE

How have you not bought this yet? - Garnett Lee (Weekend Confirmed)

====================================

HUNTERS: Episode One HD is a turn-based strategy developed exclusively for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch by Rodeo Games.

Turn based strategy:
Develop your own tactics and style of play in this turn based strategy game. Designed from the ground up for the iPhone and iPad devices.

New Missions:
Each day you'll receive a set of contracts direct to the Bridge of your Spaceship, which youll have 24 real time hours to complete.

Customise your team:
Customise your team of Hunters with weapons and armour, before dropping into the turn based strategy game.

Drop game:
Navigate your Hunters through richly detailed environments. Take down AI controlled
enemies and complete your Contract Objectives.

Trade:
Buy bigger, more powerful weapons. Stronger armor. Better equipment. New stock is available every hour.

Levels and talents:
Grow your team. Gain more equipment, upgrades, and special abilities. Build the most powerful team of mercenaries in the Universe.

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

iPad Screenshots:
(click to enlarge)

iPhone Version : http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=85680

TA Preview : http://toucharcade.com/2011/02/22/hu...ds-on-preview/

02-26-2011, 04:03 AM
Cool was looking forward to see how this played

Gamecentre- howlingwolf70, Open Feint -howlingwolfuk
Plus+ - howlingwolf. Crystal - syclone

Currently playing - Bumpy Road,Dofus Battles,Zenonia 3,Paladog,Nuts!

02-26-2011, 05:22 AM
nice! can't wait to try it out
02-26-2011, 06:00 AM
The game makes a good first impression. It's controls work really well and feel just right for a turn based strategy game. Nice!

Last edited by Thorwan; 02-26-2011 at 06:45 AM.
02-26-2011, 06:43 AM
Send a message via MSN to synagence
Downloading now! Looking forward to taking this for a spin later

Feel free to add me.
GameCenter: Highlightshadow
02-26-2011, 06:46 AM
I've had a pre-release copy of the fully unlocked iPad version for a while; I've done both a hands-on preview and a review on my gaming blog (see sig).

The first thing I'm doing now that Hunters is officially available is to delete the pre-release copy, download the app store version and pay for the full game. I can't think of a higher recommendation to give it than that. Sure, I'll lose all my progress and have to start again - great, bring it on.

Well done to Rodeo Games putting a game like this out for the i-devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJesusFish View Post
I like plenty of bad games, but I don't go around telling people they are good.
Arcadelife

GC - JohnT321
02-26-2011, 07:57 AM
First observations:

I think you have your business model wrong.

Top down, turn based strategy should be one of the genres which works best on a touch interface and Hunters looks very polished and impressively deep. Bits of Syndicate, S3 and a bunch of other classics.

I was confused that it was free though - I might easily have overlooked it.

The thing is, if this game turns out be as good as I think it might be, having a free game with the hidden 4.99 (or 5.99 can't remember) makes it feel like Farmville with in game purchases. Better to have two versions - the paid for and the Lite so users know that it's a premium game, not one trying to make money with in game advertising or being made to purchase extras to make the game playable.

And yet that's actually the case!

Make the choice - either a game funded by enticing the player then making them pay for extras and click on adverts (I REALLY don't like I'd buy that for a dollar).
Or a game with a separate demo version and a full, paid for which gives you full functionality.

Anyway, now to see what the game is like... the rushed comment above is testimony to how keen I am to see how it plays...

Update: Making users click on ads to get free gifts is a good way to kill a great game, let alone a decent one. The devs really need to stop trying to get people to click on irrelevant links for a few pence at the expense of a premium title's experience. So short-sighted.

Last edited by Treefiddy; 02-26-2011 at 08:04 AM.
02-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefiddy View Post
First observations:

I think you have your business model wrong.
The thing is, if this game turns out be as good as I think it might be, having a free game with the hidden 4.99 (or 5.99 can't remember) makes it feel like Farmville with in game purchases. Better to have two versions - the paid for and the Lite so users know that it's a premium game, not one trying to make money with in game advertising or being made to purchase extras to make the game playable.
I see nothing wrong with this model at all. It's basically the same kind of model that is done in XBLA, and the description of the game upfront tells you exactly the model is. Other recent games have adopted this model too...Tilit to Live HD, some Gameloft games, Namco games, konami, and some others. Gives the developers 1 app to update and on top of that it mskes it hard for hackers to steel the game. If i was a developer making a big game, then I would probably adopt this model too, to avoid it being more eaily stolen. Nothing wrong with this model at all, the in-app purchase isn't hidden, and the developers are upfront about it from the start begining of the game's description.
02-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefiddy View Post
First observations:

Making users click on ads to get free gifts is a good way to kill a great game, let alone a decent one. The devs really need to stop trying to get people to click on irrelevant links for a few pence at the expense of a premium title's experience. So short-sighted.
Ho hum... They're not making anyone click on the ads. It's a choice. Personally, 15 seconds for a free weapon to sell, yeah, I'm in.

[Edit] Actually, read the intro back-story in the game - it's a future where money is everything. The inclusion of IAP credits (completely optional) and free gifts for clicking ads fits really well with the mercenary/capitalist theme. If you like, just role-play it a bit when clicking the ads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJesusFish View Post
I like plenty of bad games, but I don't go around telling people they are good.
Arcadelife

GC - JohnT321

Last edited by Planetshooter; 02-26-2011 at 08:33 AM.
02-26-2011, 08:37 AM
I decide to sleep in for one day and this is what I get. Downloading then off to play and purchase the full version, Congratulations to the Rodeo 4!

Last edited by ojtitus; 02-26-2011 at 09:51 AM.