★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iOS Device Performance Gap

02-27-2011, 11:45 AM
#1
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 48
iOS Device Performance Gap

Pity me, for I am limping by with a first generation iPod Touch. I purchased it used a couple of years ago and instantly fell in love with all of its features, but as time has gone by, I'm starting to feel its age. It doesn't help matters that developers have started to snub the original model of the system, leaving it unsupported in their latest releases. The decisions to drop support for legacy models are maddeningly arbitrary... there are advanced games like Hero of Sparta II and Asphalt 5 that will work with the first generation iPod Touch, along with retro throwbacks like Pac-Man Battle Royale and The 6th Planet that, for reasons beyond my comprehension, require the latest hardware.

Since I don't have access to the more recent models of the system, I have to ask... in the games that are compatible with all generations of the iPod Touch, how much of a performance boost can I expect from the latest model of the system? The tech specs suggest that the fourth generation iPod Touch is greatly improved over its predecessors, but is that reflected in the games? If I were to play Asphalt 5 on a fourth gen Touch, in what ways would the experience be enhanced?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
02-27-2011, 12:04 PM
#2
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,913
better graphics and much smoother animation. Go youtube the differences

02-27-2011, 04:38 PM
#3
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Belfast N Ireland
Posts: 2,169
Fifth Gen should seriously outpower the current ones I'd hold off for one personally as it's bound to get games the rest won't be able to run and you probably don't want back in that situation soon, but if you want the newest games right now any device 3gs and higher does the trick nicely and you should find the new devices quite a bit faster in everything.

I'd look at the comparison videos on youtube to try and gauge what gains there are in it.

Mobile technology is moving very fast at the minute it's going to be a crazy year.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out
02-27-2011, 04:42 PM
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Fifth Gen should seriously outpower the current ones I'd hold off for one personally as it's bound to get games the rest won't be able to run and you probably don't want back in that situation soon, but if you want the newest games right now any device 3gs and higher does the trick nicely and you should find the new devices quite a bit faster in everything.

I'd look at the comparison videos on youtube to try and gauge what gains there are in it.

Mobile technology is moving very fast at the minute it's going to be a crazy year.
If you want a huge performance boost wait until odd number generation devices. Even number generations add features but do little for overall performance. Wait for the 5th gen . Dual Core CPUs and GPUs and eDDR2 RAM are more than 99.9% likely to come and will leave the current line of devices in the dust.
02-27-2011, 06:40 PM
#5
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: alea iacta est
Posts: 1,368
The real reason devs won't make their games for first and second gen is that they don't want to spend the time optimizing for an insignificant part of the market. So the games do run; but the devs want a certain amount of quality control, and it's not a good return on investment.
02-27-2011, 06:56 PM
#6
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhondTouch3G View Post
If you want a huge performance boost wait until odd number generation devices. Even number generations add features but do little for overall performance. Wait for the 5th gen . Dual Core CPUs and GPUs and eDDR2 RAM are more than 99.9% likely to come and will leave the current line of devices in the dust.
I do agree with your statement but wasnt the 4gen ipod/iphone a pretty big leap up from the 3rd gen ?

PS I duno know if you know this or not but a game that runs on all devices and is totally awesome is Real Racing 2.
02-27-2011, 07:18 PM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAwesome View Post
I do agree with your statement but wasnt the 4gen ipod/iphone a pretty big leap up from the 3rd gen ?

PS I duno know if you know this or not but a game that runs on all devices and is totally awesome is Real Racing 2.
No...well it could have been...but the Retina Display has 4X the pixels and needs a lot more power to run, so pretty much any performance improvement was cancelled out.
02-27-2011, 07:23 PM
#8
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by K?! View Post
The real reason devs won't make their games for first and second gen is that they don't want to spend the time optimizing for an insignificant part of the market. So the games do run; but the devs want a certain amount of quality control, and it's not a good return on investment.
Plus, there's not much incentive to cater to the part of the market that's unwilling to spend money (ie. people who don't want to upgrade).
02-27-2011, 11:34 PM
#9
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 48
So I should basically tough it out until September? Man, that is going to be painful. I've seen the comparison videos with the 4th gen units and I want one so baaaad...

The real kick in the pants is that these new units are supposed to be incredibly difficult to fix... the LCD and glass pane are fused, so you can't just replace the pane if it breaks. The whole thing has to be sent back to Apple to be repaired at a hefty price. I've dabbled with fixing tech in the past and have been able to save a lot of money refurbishing orphaned machines (example: I was able to get a PS3 for $125 and a little elbow grease), but it doesn't sound feasible in this instance.
02-27-2011, 11:39 PM
#10
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazarath View Post
Plus, there's not much incentive to cater to the part of the market that's unwilling to spend money (ie. people who don't want to upgrade).
Believe me, I spend money on apps! I just don't like spending $225 on a new system every year. That's not the way things are done in the adjacent video game industry... I've gotten quite used to five year lifespans for systems and I wish those long cycles would catch on with other sectors of the tech industry.