Support our Sponsors:

Old 04-01-2009, 02:34 AM

Default iCombat [v1.1 Out Now!]

looks interesting anyone has this?

game description:
Finally you can play a modern version of the classic Combat Tank game on your iPhone!

Steer your powerful little tank by tilting the screen while tapping anywhere to fire your missiles. Like with the original Tank Pong, your missiles bounce so you have to think carefully about how to navigate the levels using the ricochet to kill enemy tanks.

In addition to being able to drop mines, you can collect bonus items like invisible, shield, grenades and homing missiles and use them to try to beat 20 challenging levels.

Also has an awesome 2 player mode, with 5 random levels with bonus items for you to battle your friends.

Features:
- Accelerometer based steering
- Tap screen where you want to fire
- Plant mines that can detonate with a pinch, enemy contact or by time trigger
- Detonate walls with mines or grenades
- Collect bonus items: grenades, homing missiles, shield and cloaking
- 20 levels with up to 10 tank enemies per level
- 3 difficulty modes (Hard is almost unbeatable!)
- 3 types of tank enemy
- Navigate obstacles including anti-tank barriers while detonating walls to pass levels
- 2 player battle mode across 5 randomly selected levels
- Original soundtrack and sound effects

link to game

Last edited by zvnthynn; 04-26-2009 at 01:20 AM.. Reason: changed title to notify of update
Old 04-01-2009, 02:36 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

This looks just like Tanks from WiiPlay! I love that game.

I'm getting this right now. Will give thoughts later.

Sweet!
Old 04-01-2009, 02:36 AM

Saw it up, I like a good tank combat game but the play area just looks to limiting to be much fun.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:38 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincous View Post
This looks just like Tank from WiiPlay! I love that game.

Sweet!
Geez, Zincous...First Tank-o-Box and now iCombat. You're definitely the tank nut. Hopefully, the controls are better with iCombat.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:40 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
Geez, Zincous...First Tank-o-Box and now iCombat. You're definitely the tank nut. Hopefully, the controls are better with iCombat.
Yeah Tank-o-box was just for the heck of it TOFTT, this looks like I actually want it.

I hope the controls don't fail.

And I would say I'm into puzzle games more
Old 04-01-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincous View Post
This looks just like Tanks from WiiPlay! I love that game.

Sweet!
thanks! will wait for your review. don't normally like this genre but the graphics look nice and i'm tempted (yes, i'm shallow like that)
Old 04-01-2009, 03:08 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Ok sorry for taking a little long to write this, I was having too much fun playing and didn't want to stop. Keep in mind I really like the game from WiiPlay called Tanks which is almost identical to this, but I will try not to be biased.

Ok I'll start off by saying, I like this game.

Graphics are very nice looking, smooth gameplay and great idea for a game.

This is a mission by mission based game with lives. You tilt (accelerometer) to control your tank all around, and tap anywhere to shoot in the direction of where your finger touched the screen. I think you get 4 bullets at once (may be five) Bullets bounce off walls once, and can collide in mid air with other bullets.

The object of the game is to shoot the enemy tanks in the mission. Top down view only, like in the screen shots. There are different colored tanks, but I'm not fully aware of their abilities yet, I know red tanks take more shots to kill, and green is the basic one shot kill. But the others idk.

Points count down like a timer and when you kill all the enemy tanks, you get whatever points are left over added to your score.

There are items you can pick up, like shield, grenades, invisibility etc...

You also get to lay mines and blow them up by pinching the screen.

This is a simple game, but that's what makes it good. Like crazy tanks.

Controls are nice and work well for this game. Way better implemented than Tank-o-Box. But they still can be improved obviously. You cannot turn on a dime 180 degrees, so it's a little realistic in that sense, but turning is a little slow, but you get used to it quickly and end up steering accordingly.

Things that could be improved (these are not things that make the game unpurchase-able)
- The graphics that the tanks leaves behind (the tire marks) are not accurate and need to be adjusted and more smooth)
- When you lay a mine, it should make a sound
- Turning can be improved
- Could have more levels, seems like 20 could go by fast. But It does say Hard mode is almost unbeatable so that should last a while (I played on easy)
- Could have online scores

It also says there is a two player mode, which I have not tried out yet.

But overall very nice game and for only $.99, it's a lot of fun. I finally get my tanks game I've been wanting! You won't be throwing away your money with this purchase. As long as your open-minded to the tank genre obviously.

Ask me questions about it if you'd like!

EDIt: in the iTunes description it says more levels and online high scores coming soon!

Last edited by Zincous; 04-01-2009 at 03:17 AM..
Old 04-01-2009, 03:22 AM

Thanks for the write-up Zin, Yes I have a question...

I played Crazy Tanks, how would you compare...better? worse? or more of the same?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:25 AM

Z, you've been contributing alot of detailed/useful reviews lately, thanks. I'm assuming there is probably no tilt calibration?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:29 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott30 View Post
Thanks for the write-up Zin, Yes I have a question...

I played Crazy Tanks, how would you compare...better? worse? or more of the same?
Your welcome.

They are different. Crazy tanks is 3D and this is 2D top down view. So crazy tanks is more you in the game shooting other tanks.

While iCombat is more strategic and able to see the whole level and aim all the way across at an enemy and a lot less "craziness" (by that I mean in crazy tanks your tilting and firing as fast as you can to get a hit) and in this game you can pinpoint shot and plan ahead for them to run into them.

They are both good games and different experiences with each. I think that you can have both without having one replace the other. I personally will be playing iCombat more than crazy tanks though.