★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Question about an online game and payments

View Poll Results: How would you prefer multiplayer games to make money?
Monthly Subscription 5 71.43%
Micro Payments 1 14.29%
Make it all free and go bankrupt in the process 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll
02-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Question about an online game and payments

We are working on an online game for the iOS systems and I have a question that I'm not sure of the answer to.

As a user what would you prefer, a $.99 a month subscription fee, or micro payments for things like in game currency and items.

I am really against making the game 'easier' by allowing players to buy currency and charging for additional moves and things like that, but I'm also not sure how receptive players will be to paying monthly subscriptions for an online iPhone game.

Share your thoughts with me if you have the time. Keep in mind that we are just 2 dudes making games, we dont have funding from outside companies and can't just let players use servers without charging.
02-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Subscription fee man with a three day trial time. I'm tired iAP that let's people get ahead on an online game as well, especially MMORPGs.

Twitter: @back2this

02-28-2011, 01:20 PM
I agree that if we did something with a subscription there needs to be a free trial. The goal isn't to 'trick' people into getting a subscription and forgetting about it like AOL Servers are expensive and we just need a way to pay for and maintain all that.

I would probably even go longer than 3 days tbh. Maybe give the players 2 weeks free or something.
02-28-2011, 01:21 PM
One week sounds pretty good. Just make sure you mention the subscription fee in the first line of the app description to ward off the retard reviewers.

Twitter: @back2this
02-28-2011, 01:24 PM
The retard reviewers wouldn't even read the first line
02-28-2011, 03:22 PM
It greatly depends upon your game and the type but what alot of developers are doing on the pc is going the freeium route if you will. Battlefield heroes from EA was a good example. Everyone had access to all the items to keep things fair but there was a lot of extra customizing that was available and many people did.
02-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAwesome View Post
It greatly depends upon your game and the type but what alot of developers are doing on the pc is going the freeium route if you will. Battlefield heroes from EA was a good example. Everyone had access to all the items to keep things fair but there was a lot of extra customizing that was available and many people did.
As a developer I like the idea as there is a lot more money to make. Look at zynga who is now valued higher than EA, which is bananas. As a gamer though I hate the idea of paying for turns or paying for items.

I think what blizzard does is okay, where they have a few items you can buy, but when you start spending real money for in game gold and every item you want now costs real money, I think that takes away a lot from the game.

It is a big reason why I would prefer a small subscription method, but I don't know how users will react to that.