★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: New game NINTAII in the style of CubicMan Deluxe and Action Blox

04-01-2009, 04:15 AM
New game NINTAII in the style of CubicMan Deluxe and Action Blox

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=309801077&mt=8

I haven't tried it myself yet, but it looks pretty good, and it's pretty cheap now as well, at just 99c.

A couple of demo videos on a BlackBerry:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up

Quote:
Enjoy Nintaii at a special release price of $0.99 for one week till Friday April 10! Act quickly before this addicting puzzle game goes back up to $2.99!

Originally developed for BlackBerry, Nintaii won the prestigious “Best Game of the Year” in the BlackBerry Developers Challenge. Now enjoy this dazzling puzzle game with new and improved features at a limited time sale price for your iPhone or iPod Touch.

Calling all inquisitive minds! Are you ready for a real challenge? Nintaii is a brain twisting puzzle game of rolling blocks and switches. Guide your animated puzzle piece through 100 levels of mind-boggling physical riddles, all the while exercising your “nintai,” a Japanese term, meaning “patience, perseverance, or endurance.”

Just like most of the great puzzle games, Nintaii has a simple concept at its core, and yet proves to be very challenging, electrifying and invigorating!

Tumble your rectangular block through each brilliantly colored stage in an attempt to deposit it into the goal at the end. Use your block’s dimensions to your advantage as you shimmy down narrow corridors and around multitudes of obstacles that would thwart your success. Scroll ahead to survey the map and prepare potential moves, carefully triggering switches in the proper sequence to remove road blocks from your path. This is a game for the true puzzle hound. Do you have the foresight to endure the challenges before you? Can you use your ‘nintai’ to survive the mental trial that is Nintaii?

Features:

- 100 unique stages designed for the iPhone and iPod Touch

- Enjoy a variety of bright and invigorating backgrounds

- Slick and responsive user interface

- Use touch and drag controls or tilt controls to move your block

- Set your own unique tilt angle to personalize the tilt controls to your liking

- "Fly Over Stage" feature lets you use two fingers on the screen simultaneously to survey the entire board without moving your block

- Special sound effects and enticing background music

- In game tutorial

- Level select feature lets you play any stage

- Hall of Fame

- Select from customized themes

- And much more...
It appears to be quite similar to CubicMan Deluxe — which I LOVED, although there were less "switch" elements in this game, it was more about manoeuvring (free lite version here) — and Action Blox, which I liked the idea of, but never bought because of all the bad reports on a very sluggish framerate with it. Hopefully this Nintaii doesn't have the same problems. Action Blox is a direct port of the free online Flash game Bloxorz, by the way. Try it out, it's good fun, and will give you a good idea of the general idea behind these types of games if you're not already familiar.

So if anyone here does try Nintaii, please report back here with your impressions. Thanks.

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox

Last edited by BrettArchibald; 04-01-2009 at 04:25 AM.
04-01-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm tempted but I have cubicman, Diamond Islands and that free one Tower Free or whateve it's called...sigh.

04-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks!!

I just purchased this one. I think I like this one best of the genre (CMD, Diamond Islands, DemarcStars, etc). I am a sucker for clean designs.
04-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prab View Post
Thanks!!

I just purchased this one. I think I like this one best of the genre (CMD, Diamond Islands, DemarcStars, etc). I am a sucker for clean designs.
How responsive are the controls?
04-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Probably my favorite puzzle game

Just purchased Nintaii. Overall, very impressed. It is very responsive, the animation is fluid, really fun. It will take me some time to complete the 100 levels. I especially like the "fly over" feature. Using your 2 fingers, you can see the rest of the stage
04-01-2009, 01:11 PM
umm... Edge rip-off anyone?

looks ok though.
04-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashzed View Post
umm... Edge rip-off anyone?

looks ok though.
Hmm... I'm not too sure, but I think these cubicman type of games existed way before Edge.
04-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
How responsive are the controls?
First impressions:
Controls are pretty responsive. Soundtrack is ok, relaxing enough for a puzzle game. The graphics look crisp, but maybe so crisp that it looks more 2D than 3D. Two finger gestures lets you pan around, but no zoom in/out with pinching.

Overall, the game could use a little more polish. If you play the game, you get the feeling that it wasn't designed natively for the iPhone. For example, some (obvious?) features were missing (the zoom in/out I mentioned earlier) and some features are quite arbitrary (it makes your iDevice vibrate everytime you complete a level: do I really need a notification to tell me I've completed a level?).

With all that said, I like the level design. It starts off easy, but quickly gets interesting. I think its a decent game at 99 cents.
04-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
I'm tempted but I have cubicman, Diamond Islands and that free one Tower Free or whateve it's called...sigh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prab View Post
I think I like this one best of the genre (CMD, Diamond Islands, DemarcStars, etc).
Interesting... I wasn't aware of other games like this one on the App-Store apart from the ones I'd already mentioned in my original post.

I had a look at Diamond Islands and DemarcStar but didn't really fancy the look of either of them that much.
@Prab: Can you tell me what the "CMD" game is?
@mrbass: Can you recall what that "Tower Free or whatever" game is called?

Thanks.

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
04-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettArchibald View Post
Interesting... I wasn't aware of other games like this one on the App-Store apart from the ones I'd already mentioned in my original post.

I had a look at Diamond Islands and DemarcStar but didn't really fancy the look of either of them that much.
@Prab: Can you tell me what the "CMD" game is?
@mrbass: Can you recall what that "Tower Free or whatever" game is called?

Thanks.
CMD refers to CubicMan Deluxe which is very good btw (challenging and plenty of levels), and I think what mrbass is talking about is Time Box which is free.