★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: what do you want for $0.99?

10-31-2008, 08:22 AM
what do you want for $0.99?

ok, question to the gamers/customers:
What do you think game costing $.99 should have in terms of value?
Like, sound effects, music? Animations, or just static pictures?
Would you expect for this money different game-modes and different levels?
How much replayability do you want for 99 cents? Couple days of fun or few weeks?

Sure, main issue is if you like the game or not, let's say, it's a puzzle and you just like puzzles. We are not talking here "This game should be fun". We are talking about production value

In case you are interested, here is what I think. For 0.99 you should get:
1 full functional app (everything works and finished)
2 no music, maybe soundeffects
3 no animated suff, may be minor visual effects
4 something you would play for 10-20min a day for few days, maybe a week
5 coming out of #4 - no different levels, gamemodes optional
6 no high score table, no online scoring

So, basically, it should be nice looking minigame, not too shiny but solid.

What do YOU think?

I'm talking here about regular price, not sales etc.

PS - This is kind of inspired by "don't mean to be rude" thread
10-31-2008, 08:33 AM
That's the wrong question. It's not what we want for ,99 (of course everything), but what the developer should price his app for. It's about what the developer thinks his work is worth and what he thinks the people would pay for as a max. And it's about what we expect and accept as a minimum requirement for an app to be "complete" and "polished".

Here are the minimum requirements of what I want an app to have:

1 full functional app (everything works and finished)
2 no music, soundeffects, if music, don't fade out my ipod
3 animated interface, which fits into the whole core animation thing, the iPhone is known for
4. support for the mute switch, graphics volume sliders, autosave on home/calls, pause when the iPhone goes to sleep, disable the screen dim
5 playtime of a minimum of constant 4h
6. evolving storyline

If an app is this polished, than I would pay 4,99€ or more. If the app is missing 5 and 6, I would pay 2,99€ for it. If the other stuff is missing, I would not buy the app. I would not use the app for free.

So, it's all about features and how well the app integrates into the whole iPhone interface. The price does not matter. I'm not looking for apps which cost ,79€, I'm looking for polished apps which make fun. And I'm willing to pay the price for the work.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de

Last edited by Oliver; 10-31-2008 at 08:36 AM.

10-31-2008, 08:49 AM
You developers are too hung up on pricing, and how people jump all over a free app and won't pay when the price goes up.

Bottom line: There are way too many copycat apps and just plain shitty apps out there. Make something GOOD, and then watch the word of mouth carry it to success. Too many developers take an existing idea and try to put their own 'spin' on it, and they wonder why it's languishing at the bottom of the list in sales. If it's good, original, creative, fun, IT WILL SELL.

If you're in this to make a quick buck w/o much creative firepower, you're likely going to fail. If you have a great idea and you can implement it, you'll make money.
10-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingOnThis View Post
If you're in this to make a quick buck w/o much creative firepower, you're likely going to fail. If you have a great idea and you can implement it, you'll make money.
agreed, but that is hard

i have an idea i've been working on for almost 3 months straight...nothing like it exists in the app store as of yet, everyday my heart jumps in fear that someone has thought of it and has released it..

yet i'm still have troubles implementing it...i am almost there..but there are three feartures, two of them key..that i am struggling with...but i dont dare tell anyone

its a lonely world sometimes
10-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingOnThis View Post
You developers are too hung up on pricing, and how people jump all over a free app and won't pay when the price goes up.

Bottom line: There are way too many copycat apps and just plain shitty apps out there. Make something GOOD, and then watch the word of mouth carry it to success. Too many developers take an existing idea and try to put their own 'spin' on it, and they wonder why it's languishing at the bottom of the list in sales. If it's good, original, creative, fun, IT WILL SELL.

You are absolutely right, 100%.

Just like in the real business world, regardless of price (high or low), people pay for quality products, end of story. Add in originality and something that the masses want, you're golden.
If it's not something that most people want, $.99 isn't going to make them want it.
10-31-2008, 09:27 AM
The problem for the devs is, that we want more than just a lemonade stand . Take the graphics and look what has changed between the last 20 years, how games looked than and how they look now and imagine what work has to be done, to create a game, which has a "current" look. That sucks of course (for the devs). That's why we have so many puzzle games: They are easier to implement than something like Fieldrunners. But of course if you create a mediocre or even good puzzle game, you're lost in a crowd of 200 similar puzzler which were created by devs who did not have the time, money or talent to create something bigger. If your create something outstanding - like Fieldrunners - you can be at the top position. Even as a small dev. So: Just make good software .

--
taptoplay.de

Last edited by Oliver; 10-31-2008 at 09:29 AM.
10-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Lets just look from this perspective - you buy an ice-cream. You paid lets say $2, ate it, it was pretty good, you are satisfied.

Now, let's say we have some "one-time" app. Not meaning it is bad, but meaning - not really reusable. You run it few times, it's nice and fun, bit you don't want to run this particular app anymore - you've seen everything it has to offer. Why don't we apply "ice-cream consumer" pattern here? Just remove it and go on.

To be clear - I'm not advocating for crappy apps (no matter cheap or free). Developers should release only quality stuff, no questions.

But on other hand reading comments like "it's fun mini-game but it has no replayability" regarding cheap or free game does not feel right to me. C'mon, it's an ice cream, you ate it, it was good - why complain?
10-31-2008, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirill View Post
Lets just look from this perspective - you buy an ice-cream. You paid lets say $2, ate it, it was pretty good, you are satisfied.

Now, let's say we have some "one-time" app. Not meaning it is bad, but meaning - not really reusable. You run it few times, it's nice and fun, bit you don't want to run this particular app anymore - you've seen everything it has to offer. Why don't we apply "ice-cream consumer" pattern here? Just remove it and go on.

To be clear - I'm not advocating for crappy apps (no matter cheap or free). Developers should release only quality stuff, no questions.

But on other hand reading comments like "it's fun mini-game but it has no replayability" regarding cheap or free game does not feel right to me. C'mon, it's an ice cream, you ate it, it was good - why complain?
With the example of an ice-cream, once you're done your ice-cream, you are satisfied (satisfied being the key word)

With most free and $.99 and even $1.99 or whatever apps, the consumer is not satisfied, and therefore doesn't feel like they got what they paid for.
In the example of Topple, it's a short lived game, that I won't play anymore. I can't beat level 9, and either way, there is no highscore tracking, so it doesn't have replayability for me with that free play mode. At the same time, I'm satisfied that I got my money's worth, and would again spend the $.99 on this application without any hesitation. It had good production value, good gameplay, and it's done for me.
So I think we can apply this thought to some extent, but again, leads me back to the fact that we as consumers need to feel satisfied. Again, if we're satisfied, we'll pay good money for good quality apps.

You can buy a $.99 no-name ice-cream, but more people will be more satisfied with the Haagen-Daaz.
I'm not advocating buying EA rather than no-name invidual developer, I'm talking quality....
10-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Again, that has nothing to do with ,99. I spent much more for Virtual Villagers. I went through the game in 4,5 hours, then deleted it. It were fun hours and I don't look back at the money. It was worth the money. It entertained me a lot. At the same time, Bomberman was not worth the money, because the controls sucks and multiplayer is missing - which is what Bomberman is all about. I removed it and feel betrayed. So, satisfaction is what's all about. Regardless of the price.

--
taptoplay.de

10-31-2008, 02:42 PM
I paid 59p for Solebon Solitaire, and play it every day. Probably without fail. Would I pay more? Sure, I'd probably pay 3.49. But I saw the sale and I thought why not.

I've also paid 59p for iSplume which I will probably only play a few times... Would I pay more? Probably not. If the developer got his act together? Sure, probably 1.79+

As a side note, I've found 1.79 to be the sweet spot for apps. Dizzy Bee, Gaia and Bejeweled cost me that much and they have been awesome.