★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Analytics: Good or Bad?

03-01-2011, 01:35 AM
#1
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 168
Analytics: Good or Bad?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if most of the developers on the forum are using any sort of analytics tracking SDK in their apps.

Mainly I came across Flurry Analytics through the awesomely informative post by the devs of Ramps and I felt like implementing this would greatly benefit future updates and the developing process.

So, has anyone used this? If yes, are there any downsides? How long did it take to implement Flurry and get it up and running?

Any information would be great, thanks!

Ezmobo Games!
Check out our dev blog for sneak peaks at our upcoming titles.
03-01-2011, 08:02 AM
#2
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohthree View Post
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if most of the developers on the forum are using any sort of analytics tracking SDK in their apps.

Mainly I came across Flurry Analytics through the awesomely informative post by the devs of Ramps and I felt like implementing this would greatly benefit future updates and the developing process.

So, has anyone used this? If yes, are there any downsides? How long did it take to implement Flurry and get it up and running?

Any information would be great, thanks!
I'm using Flurry and I think it's great. The only downside is that I think it adds 400k to your binary, which is well worth it for me.

03-01-2011, 08:47 AM
#3
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Munich
Posts: 1,137
Send a message via Skype™ to Nullroar
Flurry has a fantastic product. If you have time to check out their blog, do so. It's one of the most informative in the industry.

As a response to the topic question of analytics, knowledge is power. What you DO with it can hurt you or help you, but the knowledge itself is always a boon.

I've placed geocached DRM-free USB copies of my newest game in various locations throughout Europe and Southeastern US. Email me if you find 'em for the free "explorer" cape.
03-01-2011, 10:53 PM
#4
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullroar View Post
Flurry has a fantastic product. If you have time to check out their blog, do so. It's one of the most informative in the industry.

As a response to the topic question of analytics, knowledge is power. What you DO with it can hurt you or help you, but the knowledge itself is always a boon.
Honestly i feel the same way you do. The product that Flurry offers I feel really bridges the gap in development and gives us "eyes" on our users.

So how long did it take you guys to implement it? With or without adding events?

Ezmobo Games!
Check out our dev blog for sneak peaks at our upcoming titles.
03-01-2011, 11:30 PM
#5
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: alea iacta est
Posts: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohthree View Post
Honestly i feel the same way you do. The product that Flurry offers I feel really bridges the gap in development and gives us "eyes" on our users.

So how long did it take you guys to implement it? With or without adding events?
How every hidden feature is implemented: An update that says "minor bug fixes"

There's a line between too much info and knowing your customer. I don't mind analyitics for the devs sake but I don't want apps sharing my contact information and location with advertisers, either.
03-02-2011, 02:30 AM
#6
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 1,674
see thats the problem with perception

take a look again at the link you provided..

the graphics on the right just sucks because it makes it look like user/pw, contacts and phone numbers are being send, which is not..

the iphone has no field for your age and your gender.. such information are not bound to your iphone but to other crappy snoopy shoddy servicey people use, like facebook.. bohoo.. if you shit in one corner of the room people should not whine about that it smells in the other too..

the article is totaly bolocks.. most people give out more personal data daily than they will ever be by an iphone app..


stuff like flurry and co are meant in first to track usage.. so developer can see what time is spend where in your app, for whatever reasons they need that data..

a developer itself is surely not interested into your udid.. thats useless information.. he wants to know what you play how you play it .. pretty every game on console & pc have such features.. they are called statistics..

as for flurry.. if i recall right you can limit what kind of information you want.. but since this is a third party tool you will never have full control over whats going in behind your back (the devs)

but apple made alot stricter rules for such "analytics" software.. and i assume big services like flurry & co are being properly checked out by apple.

Last edited by mr.Ugly; 03-02-2011 at 02:38 AM.
03-02-2011, 04:02 AM
#7
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Munich
Posts: 1,137
Send a message via Skype™ to Nullroar
I love the WSJ, so I'm not going to bash em for a little sensationalizing.

I've placed geocached DRM-free USB copies of my newest game in various locations throughout Europe and Southeastern US. Email me if you find 'em for the free "explorer" cape.
03-02-2011, 05:40 PM
#8
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 977
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Ugly View Post
pretty every game on console & pc have such features.. they are called statistics.
Indeed, I used to be a developer with EA's Global Online team, and they take reams of data points about users going online, offline, going through this menu path or that, how long you spend on each screen, and many other things.

It's all used to drive metrics reports that the heads of each game use to make decisions on how to improve the game.

EA calls it "telemetry" internally.