★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Belowscape update v1.15

04-01-2009, 05:42 AM
Belowscape update v1.15

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that the new Belowscape version 1.15 has just been submitted to Apple for review. As most of you probably already know, usually this means the update will be made available next week.

New in version 1.15

* Option to have the camera follow your ship. Really useful with virtual joysticks.
* Virtual joysticks center themselves automatically when you're not touching them.
* Functionality hidden in the main menu 10tons logo.
* High score screen scrolling is a bit smoother.
* Player ship acceleration increased a bit - improved playability.

Although this means you will probably be able to score a bit higher, we will not be resetting the online high score lists. Just consider getting the update in timely manner an excellent chance to soar sky high on the online lists of glory and awesomeness

Oh and, like it isn't obvious, please feel free to comment here if you've got any thoughts on this update -- or feature suggestions for the next one.

Anyways, I hope you like the changes.

Cheers,
10tons - www.10tons.net
04-01-2009, 06:38 AM
Yeeeahhhh!!!!
Eagerly awaiting the update!

Thanks!

Add me: GameCenter: Crypton72
Agon|CloudCell|GameloftLive!|OpenFeint|Plus+: Crypton
Proud Member of Touch Arcaders Against Piracy!
Follow me on Twitter!

04-01-2009, 07:00 AM
This is a geometry wars clone?
04-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanny View Post
Its similar. 10tons have a gameplay video on their site.

@10tons:
It would be great to see some stats in future updates.
Something like:
longest playtime, avg palytime, max number of enemies destroyed, avg number of enemies destroyed....

AND: would it be possible to use an analog joypad like in Dropship. Where one could place the thumb anywhere on the left side of the screen and that would be the center of the joypad?

AND: It would be nice if the accellerometer could detect in which direction the screen is oriented. I normally play with the Home button on my right, but there are occassions where I have to put it on the left side (charging).

Add me: GameCenter: Crypton72
Agon|CloudCell|GameloftLive!|OpenFeint|Plus+: Crypton
Proud Member of Touch Arcaders Against Piracy!
Follow me on Twitter!
04-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanny View Post
Yeah, the game has definitely been inspired by Geometry Wars - which is one of my favorite games available in XBLA.

Another source of inspiration is one of our older games called Crimsonland, which actually came out way before Geometry Wars

Paddling further down the stream of clo- I mean inspiration, there are always the old classics like Ikari Warriors and SmashTV. And at the very heart of darkness, Robotron.
04-01-2009, 10:24 AM
I'll have to play the new game and let you know how I feel. I do know that there was a pretty steep incline in the waves where I had a hard time gettin past the 75k. I got over 70k scores about 15 or 20 times but I could never break past that 75k mark.. so it says something about the ramping of difficulty.

also. at 30,000 you get a double shot.. this is really handy and awesome and I think 10,000 points of doubleshot is wasted too quickly. I would even sit on screen at 29k and try not to shoot enemies so I had a useful 10k of doubleshot.. (like you wouldn't want to waste the doubleshot on a waves of single square guys.. etc.)

I'd like the doubleshot to come back? maybe every 20k points and could even stay forever until you die.

and of course my biggst request is bombs and extra men every certain points. Bombs would be huge and being able to get extra men would also be huge.

I also noticed some enemies that you rarely ever see, like those hexagon white shapes that look like circles.. you rarely score enough points to even see those waves...

Can't wait to check out the new belowscapes
04-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Gross... I wish I picked this up at 99 cents. After playing the lite version when it was out I felt that 99 cents was a good price for what you got. Now they went and raised the price after releasing an update
04-02-2009, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd3 View Post
Gross... I wish I picked this up at 99 cents. After playing the lite version when it was out I felt that 99 cents was a good price for what you got. Now they went and raised the price after releasing an update
But on the bright side the update really did add some extra value, right? I know a lot of people have gotten used to the $0.99 price point, but the truth is that you can't support the development with that price unless you hit high on the sales charts. I mean, it all always comes down to the fact that we do have to eat. At some point. Something. You make lousy games when you're hungry and constantly giving funny looks at your mouse.

Aanyways, about the lite version, we actually decided to drop it and concentrate our focus on adding more stuff to the full version. In the end, this should reward better the players who are giving us something to munch on.
04-02-2009, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10tonsLtd View Post
But on the bright side the update really did add some extra value, right? I know a lot of people have gotten used to the $0.99 price point, but the truth is that you can't support the development with that price unless you hit high on the sales charts. I mean, it all always comes down to the fact that we do have to eat. At some point. Something. You make lousy games when you're hungry and constantly giving funny looks at your mouse.

Aanyways, about the lite version, we actually decided to drop it and concentrate our focus on adding more stuff to the full version. In the end, this should reward better the players who are giving us something to munch on.
The game is definitely way further along than when I first picked it up on release. This is a perfect example of implementing user feedback. Kudo's guys!! PS. I payed for a double cheeseburger for one of you guys.

My friend said to me, "I think the weather's trippy." I said, "No, man, it's not the weather that's trippy, perhaps it is the way that we perceive it that is indeed trippy." Then I thought, "Man, I should've just said, 'Yeah."CS.one R3DC3ll Faction-Join us or die...proud member of TheBeastlyNinja Epic-uber elite comedy crew
04-02-2009, 07:43 AM
no, bad devs!
studies show you're smarter when you're hungry.
the market is just smartening you up for game development goodness.

edit: senior member now! woot!

PS: the stuff behind the glass in your LCD is much more nutritious...

PS2: I have not played the game, but the ipod market does suck at the moment. I'd say "make your game better and you'd get some sales!" but it's sadly not true. but then a game like Flight Control comes along that actually IS good and DOES get some sales...I know, it's confusing.

PS3: OK I lied. I didn't bite because I didn't like the lite version enough. Maybe if you unified the codebase with an (#ifdef LITE) or some other method (only including a few levels) it'd make maintaining it easier. Then I'd get to see the improvements, try them, see if I like it, and then buy it. I just bought Ancient Frog ($5) from the Lite last night. But if your game is bad or doesn't have broad appeal definitely do not put out a lite version! niche games can be harmed by lite versions badly. Only games with broad appeal should put them out. Rule #4 of iphone dev success. It's patented but you can have it for free because I love devs.

PS4: the PS3 is supposed to last 10 years. there IS no PS4.

PS5: Actually I do have Belowscape. Wow I'm impulsive. I guess I'll try the update. LOL

Last edited by writingsama; 04-02-2009 at 08:02 AM.