★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Companions - Dungeon-Crawler/RPG in real-time by smuttlewerk interactive

03-02-2011, 02:55 AM
Companions - Dungeon-Crawler/RPG by smuttlewerk interactive

Hey there folks!

This is "smuttlewerk interactive" talking.

We are very proud to announce our little jewel to the gaming world.

Companions is a "Party-Dungeon-Crawler-RPG-Action-Tactics" Game , where you lead a party of four brave warriors into combat against the false god "Detexx" and "The Hordes of Nether"!

Be prepared for a campaign mode and a single-map experience, packed with achievments and leaderboards (OpenFeint & Gamecenter).

The game will be released in May 2011.

More information on how the game is played will be added soon. For now, have fun with the first teaser/trailer:

Please share your thoughts with us! Questions will be answered ASAP!

I forgot to mention: watch the trailer in HD on your iPad in fullscreen-mode and you get a good feeling how the actual game looks like!

Edit: here is me myself trying to explain the tactical pause in Companions:

Last edited by smuttlegiaco; 04-02-2011 at 12:56 PM.
03-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Looking good! -- and always happy to see a new dungeon crawl/roguelike RPG on the platform.

Can you tell us more about the skills (spells?) and items (inventory?) on the bottom of the UI? What kind of character development/leveling/customization will the game include?

03-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Looks nice. Can you choose the members of your party?
03-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Nice!

This looks really awesome!

I'll be looking for it in May!
03-03-2011, 04:08 PM
@simulated: the max number of skills for each class is 5 (there are three classes for each of the four races). three of them are basic skills which can be upgraded through experience. the other two skills are skills that are bound to special items.
the inventory: you have one weapon slot, two equip slots (armor, rings, etc.) and 21 storage slots (potions and other stuff). You only have three "quick" slots, the other 18 are integrated in the character window.

@ojtitus: you always play with the four different races, but each race has three classes, each one with unique skills
Minotaur: Berserker, Gladiator, Bull
Elf: Assassin, Archer, Ranger
Dwarf: Engineer, Draftsman, Miner
Human: Light, Matter, Void
03-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Sounds great, I look forward to it's release.
03-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Reminds me of Ultima. Looks very fun. Makes me want to break out Moria again too...

Electronic music and soundtracks...
http://www.impurfekt.com
03-05-2011, 03:55 PM
hey fellas,

I currently finish a map and I ask myself: is this bossfight to difficult for the average player to master?

I can do it (and in my view I am an experienced player) and I think it's fun, but the first two times my party lost the fight and I had to reload.

My position on the difficulty of games is that you have to have a hard time for the game to be fun. If it's to easy you could let the game play itself...

What do you think?
03-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuttlegiaco View Post
hey fellas,

I currently finish a map and I ask myself: is this bossfight to difficult for the average player to master?

I can do it (and in my view I am an experienced player) and I think it's fun, but the first two times my party lost the fight and I had to reload.

My position on the difficulty of games is that you have to have a hard time for the game to be fun. If it's to easy you could let the game play itself...

What do you think?
I do agree with you about that, but I would like to add that if it is way too difficult, then a lot of players might give up on the game too soon.
03-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuttlegiaco View Post
hey fellas,

What do you think?
I prefer games to be difficult but not arbitrarily so (impossible puzzles which require trial an error to solve, battles which require pure luck to survive, etc.). If you are concerned about it being too difficult, why not implement a difficulty setting? Then the gameplay should appeal to a larger audience. Just be certain the difficulty level is consistent.

The one thing that made Dragon Age: Origins no fun at all for me was the erratic difficulty. I was constantly having to change the difficulty level from hard to easy and back again in order to progress. It was easily the worst game I'd ever played in that regard. Occasionally a battle would totally destroy me ten tries in a row. I'd switch the difficulty one step down and I'd waltz through the same battle unscathed, turn it back up and move on. Sooo tedious...

Electronic music and soundtracks...
http://www.impurfekt.com