★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is cute game better?

03-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Is cute game better?

Hi,all.
I want to develop a game on the iphone. In my research, most game of top100 are so cute. Is the cute graphic game better ? Would you give me some suggestions?

thx for your helps
best regards
03-02-2011, 11:06 AM
I do think I would be liking it also, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

03-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Cute sure seems to do well in the casual market, but "kid-safe" is important too. I'm afraid you won't get as far with a cute bloody serial killer as with a cuddly critter that eats candy. Cute zombies that eat candy brains might work though...
03-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper Flick View Post
Cute sure seems to do well in the casual market, but "kid-safe" is important too. I'm afraid you won't get as far with a cute bloody serial killer as with a cuddly critter that eats candy. Cute zombies that eat candy brains might work though...
It worked for Battle Bears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
03-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
It worked for Battle Bears!
AWWYEAH! UPTOP! *killerhighfive*

Word.

Also, to avoid tooting my own horn and walking out of this thread (like a boss) I'll throw in my opinion, for whatever it's worth*

I think it has a lot less to do with how "cute" the art is and more to do with how... "accessible" it is and how it fits with the feeling of the game it's in. Angry Birds would not have done half as well as it has if the birds were all photo-realistic bird lumps and all the pigs were veiny, fleshy pig nubs with deep, black, soulless eyes. On the other hand, if it were "Precious Moments" cute, it would also suffer because that *****'s creepy.

"Where's Waldo" isn't that cute, but its style is clear and cohesive across the board and Jelly Car 3, in my opinion, is uggers but the style of it fits the narrative and makes sense.

I think you should really let the type of game dictate the style of art you choose, not the other way around. Wind Waker (bestgameever) would have been EXTREMELY off-putting if its aesthetic was treated like Twilight Princess', for example. Forcing one aspect to work is going to hurt the other. Ying Yang it, as it were ;D

*the exchange rate on my opinion to real dollars is the same as leprechauns to unicorns.
03-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks for your help.
I'll try my best to make a balance between gameplay and graphics.
03-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Pigs?

Ha! It appears you a certain disdain for swine.

' veiny, fleshy pig nubs with deep, black, soulless eyes '

M@
03-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeanee View Post
Thanks for your help.
I'll try my best to make a balance between gameplay and graphics.
I fully agree with Lt. Action, but I think the advice can be best summed up by a single phrase: avoid blandness. A game that has a personality will always do better than one that doesn't. Obviously the style should fit the gameplay, but it's just as important that your aesthetic choices are memorable.
03-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Send a message via AIM to Java
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Action View Post
AWWYEAH! UPTOP! *killerhighfive*

Word.

Also, to avoid tooting my own horn and walking out of this thread (like a boss) I'll throw in my opinion, for whatever it's worth*

I think it has a lot less to do with how "cute" the art is and more to do with how... "accessible" it is and how it fits with the feeling of the game it's in. Angry Birds would not have done half as well as it has if the birds were all photo-realistic bird lumps and all the pigs were veiny, fleshy pig nubs with deep, black, soulless eyes. On the other hand, if it were "Precious Moments" cute, it would also suffer because that *****'s creepy.

"Where's Waldo" isn't that cute, but its style is clear and cohesive across the board and Jelly Car 3, in my opinion, is uggers but the style of it fits the narrative and makes sense.

I think you should really let the type of game dictate the style of art you choose, not the other way around. Wind Waker (bestgameever) would have been EXTREMELY off-putting if its aesthetic was treated like Twilight Princess', for example. Forcing one aspect to work is going to hurt the other. Ying Yang it, as it were ;D

*the exchange rate on my opinion to real dollars is the same as leprechauns to unicorns.
Whenever I read your posts I do the happy dance. Hysterical sir, hysterical.
03-06-2011, 04:05 AM
Yeah, I think so too, most likely because the cute graphic can target a larger audience. I also notice that cute icon will get more clicks on appstore. Iconic and cute character on casual game like angry birds, tiny wings, or megajump will boost your visibility on appstore if you hit top 200 IMHO.