★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What games have Incredible visuals but bad gameplay and/or story

03-07-2011, 09:45 AM
What games have Incredible visuals but bad gameplay and/or story

Just wondering if there are any games that are visually excellent, but doesn't get much deeper than that.

Pm me if you would like me to beta test any of your games!
Games I've beta tested/testing: Button Trials, Chalk n' Talk, Third Blade
03-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgooseman17 View Post
Just wondering if there are any games that are visually excellent, but doesn't get much deeper than that.
Infinity blade imho

I love this world!

03-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Eternal Legacy & Infinity Blade IMHO too

Currently Playing: Crashlands, Pokemon Heart Gold, Digimon Re: Digitize, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
Officially moved to android
03-07-2011, 01:00 PM
For me, Shadow Guardian is the biggest and best example of "graphics maketh not the game".

Regarding Infinity Blade, although I personally do like the game, and am generally a big fan of it's unique style of intuitive combat, I must concur that the remainder of the gameplay does not live up to the super-high standards set by it's incredible visuals.

Other gameplay letdowns would have to include:

• Gangstar 2: Miami Vindication
• Twin Blades
• Madden NFL 11 (I'm probably in a minority on this one!)

Each to his own though.

Hall of Fame:
1. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP 2. Machinarium 3. Limbo 4. World of Goo 5. Ridiculous Fishing: A Tale of Redemption 6. Home 7. Rayman Jungle Run 8. Space Miner: Space Ore Bust 9. Rage HD 10. 1-Bit Ninja

Last edited by Simon Potticary; 03-07-2011 at 01:07 PM.
03-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Lol I personally thought that G2 and Twin Blades had horrific graphics. Also, Madden 2011 plays better than any other football game on the iOS.

To each his own* you mean.

Infinity Blade provided everything Chair had promised..so I'm not sure what there's to he disappointed about with the gameplay.

Twitter: @back2this
03-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I believe 'Epic Citadel' would apply here as it is graphically stunning but doesn't have much gameplay (except for moving around) and no story.
03-07-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm pretty sure Epic Citidal will be turned into a real game eventually. Right now, it's merely a tech demo.

Regarding Infinity Blade, I think one of the biggest reasons it gets such dislike are the ridiculously high expectations. Even though it's rather short and can be repetitive, it has really deep gameplay, and it's getting new content regularly. In the long run, I think it will be worth every penny, especially when multiplayer is introduced.

The game has an incredible atmosphere that has the potential to create a truly epic saga. I hope they're working on a sequel with a fully fledged storyline.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
03-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PwNaGeDaN View Post
I believe 'Epic Citadel' would apply here as it is graphically stunning but doesn't have much gameplay (except for moving around) and no story.
They specifically said it was a tech demo and not a game lol..

03-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_envoys View Post
Eternal Legacy & Infinity Blade IMHO too
+1 Excellent.

I've never hated iOs games more than FN:Champion (Legacy Mode) and Eternal Legacy.

Infinity Blade is a great example of "Pretty but Boring".
Aralon is a FANTASTIC example of it, (in my opinion).
Shadow Guardian comes close, but still has some "decent" gameplay.

@ PwNaGeDaN: "Epic Citadel"was a company demo showing that the Unreal
Engine CAN be used on iOs. It's supposed to be beyond pretty without game
content.
03-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Just another hate thread filled with the usual complainers who've made nearly identical posts elsewhere..sigh.