★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Route Candle

04-02-2009, 02:46 AM
Route Candle

Odd name for an interesting looking game. It was new about half an hour ago and it is no longer in the store. We hardly knew thee, Route Candle. Anyone grab it in that window? Any thoughts?

App Shopper
04-02-2009, 02:59 AM
I saw it, but didn't feel like spending $4 on something so new.

Quote:
In this game, the player guides a ‘flame’ to light candles.

All the player needs to do is specify each destination for the ‘flame.’
The “flame” will attempt to reach each destination via the shortest route.
Master the behavior of the flame to successfully collect as many matches as possible during each stage and light all the candles.
Each stage will have its own pitfall traps and one-way streets, and you may need to use your ingenuity as you can only specify the destination a certain number of times.

There are 50 stages in total. The more you allow the flame do in fewer steps, the higher the score.
As there are many different ways to clear each stage, you can further enjoy the game by trying to find the shortest route or aiming for a higher score.

[Characteristics of the Flame]
- Tries to find the shortest route to the destination.
- However, as the flame has difficulty doing U-turns, it will base its choice of shortest route on the direction of movement. (Note that a dead end will force the flame to change direction.)
- Chooses the route with as few turning points as possible.
- Collects nearby matches even without your command.
- A match is needed to light each candle.

[Playing instructions]
- Tap the stage with your finger to place a flag. This will show the shortest route to the flag with a line.
- Tap the “GO” button to make the flame start walking.
- Once you have mastered the flame’s behavior in selecting its route, you can predict its movement and prepare flags one after another on the path ahead.

[Further challenges]
- Once you can get through the whole game, try to clear each stage within the number of flags indicated by the “Par” number in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Try to also pass over every score item and stay within the number indicated by “Par.”

Last edited by IAmAlive; 04-02-2009 at 03:02 AM.

04-02-2009, 04:33 AM
This one looks like it had a lot of time and thought put into it too.

Maybe there was a substanial bug noticed upon approval and the pulled it temporarily.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
04-02-2009, 06:35 AM
I was going to pick it up but I noticed that the name had <peakvox> in the title of the game. I figured it would get pulled by the dev once they saw it and sure enough it happens.

No dev would let their game sit in the app store with a mistake in the title. So it was better to pull it before they got any sales. At least, I HOPE they didn't make any sales before they pulled it.
04-02-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm not sure I follow.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
04-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donburns99 View Post
I'm not sure I follow.
When the game was on the appstore it was called "<peakvox> Route Candle"

Someone on the dev team made a mistake in the name when they submitted it. They must have taken it down to correct the error which means it needs to be resubmitted.
04-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Some What off topic, but That is one of the best looking iPhone icons.
Love it. =D

Last edited by iKoda; 04-02-2009 at 11:51 PM.
04-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
When the game was on the appstore it was called "<peakvox> Route Candle"

Someone on the dev team made a mistake in the name when they submitted it. They must have taken it down to correct the error which means it needs to be resubmitted.
Interesting, I understand what you were getting at now. I don't think that was why it was pulled though, something like that was done intentionally. Especially because there are braces around the developers name. Even their Rev Counter game does the same. It seems to be a branding strategy that they were aware would happen upon submission.

Anyways, Route Candle is now back in the AppStore, with the same name.

Last edited by Donburns99; 04-03-2009 at 02:18 PM.
04-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to get this back on the forum chats as I have just purchased this and it is a fabulous little iPhone game!

a superb art style and a very nice puzzle, strategy game.

I will do a bigger write up once I have played it past the first few levels.
04-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Game's available in the U.K and quick impressions are it's highly polished, stylistic and very good.

A Friend In Need Is A Pest

Plus+:PrivateJoker