★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Ring Blade is an arcade shooter that tests your reactions and nerves across 30 levels of frenetic action. The flick-fire mechanic adds a tactile response that allows you to enjoy the intense, arcade shooter experience without any fingers blocking the action.

*** PRESS QUOTES ***
"Ring Blade, from MindTrip Studios, is a mobile game right in the sweet spot of any shooter fan with an iPhone." - Kotaku

"Ring Blade is cool, inventive and challenging, and works within the vertical shooter/bullet hell genre while adding a lot to the conversation." - Appolicious

"Ring Blade offers an original control system and an impressive graphical style, as well as bullet hell fun." - 148Apps

*** FEATURES ***
No unnatural virtual sticks. No fingers blocking the action. Just finger-flickin fun!

Unique tribal tattoo art style and stylized graphics.

Giant, screen-filling bosses and dozens of varied enemies!

30 levels of fast-paced, frenetic, arcade-style action

OpenFeint enabled for high scores and achievements

*** BACKGROUND ***
In the deepest recesses of your mind, somewhere between madness and reason, lies a place where thought becomes creation. Trapped inside you have the only weapon you need the Ring Blade. Master your fear. Free your mind. Fight or Die!

Gabrien's comments:

03-08-2011, 01:11 AM
Game Impressions

Interesting concept, and more importantly it works. Controls are very good, enemies are interesting and varied, frame rate is smooth, and the overall gameplay is fun and satisfying. Recommended.

03-08-2011, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Interesting concept, and more importantly it works. Controls are very good, enemies are interesting and varied, frame rate is smooth, and the overall gameplay is fun and satisfying. Recommended.
I'm going to be the contrarian on this one, as I don't actually agree with any of your points. I don't think the controls work, because the flick and swipe mechanics are at odds with each other. By that I mean, flicking makes you stop moving and moving makes you stop firing, which is rarely a good thing.

It's not a bad game, per se, but it's not one that I would see myself coming back to. Props for the new art style, but such fine detail doesn't look great without retina support and they should have played up the animated appearance of the tattoos more.

To each, his own, I guess. That's why it's a multi-user forum.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
03-08-2011, 02:46 AM
Well,I like tatoos very much.And this game explains my crush onto it !The backscene is really cool,it rocks!
03-08-2011, 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichone View Post
Well,I like tatoos very much.And this game explains my crush onto it !The backscene is really cool,it rocks!
Fail.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
03-08-2011, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
Fail.
Haha. A little obvious, I agree.
03-08-2011, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
I'm going to be the contrarian on this one, as I don't actually agree with any of your points. I don't think the controls work, because the flick and swipe mechanics are at odds with each other. By that I mean, flicking makes you stop moving and moving makes you stop firing, which is rarely a good thing.

It's not a bad game, per se, but it's not one that I would see myself coming back to. Props for the new art style, but such fine detail doesn't look great without retina support and they should have played up the animated appearance of the tattoos more.

To each, his own, I guess. That's why it's a multi-user forum.
I think having to stop to flick is actually an integral part of the gameplay in this case. You only have 3 discs as default so aren't able to flick constantly anyhow. Find a safe spot - let loose - find another safe spot - etc. is how this game works and I like it. You could use tilt to move I guess, and it's actually interesting and might work too, but it would change the gameplay significantly.

You won't get an argument from me regarding retina graphics making a game look better in most cases, not just this one. As for the art style itself, I think it will appeal to less people than it will turn off unfortunately. Personally I can take it or leave it. I've little doubt though that had this game had shiny neon graphics with blinding particle effect explosions, you could safely add a "X10" to whatever sales figure it will achieve as is. None of that of course affects the actual gameplay in the slightest.

Last edited by Gabrien; 03-08-2011 at 04:48 AM.
03-08-2011, 06:05 AM
Seem really cool, but need to download and play full game.
03-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Send a message via AIM to RoozMTS
Ring Blade - Out Now!

Hi Everyone,

It's shameless plug time. Ring Blade, the game I've been working on for the past few months is finally out.

Check out the gameplay trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0U5PxA1PFk

and the link to purchase on iTunes is here:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ring-blade/id420836339?mt=8

Would love to get some feedback from everyone here on what y'all thought, how to make it better, and what I should include in the next updates and stuff.

I hope y'all like it.

-R-
03-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Seems interesting ! Promocode would be welcome !