★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Multi-Player iPhone/Touch Gaming

04-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Multi-Player iPhone/Touch Gaming

Hello Again,

Many thanks to all the feedback given in the past, this does get considered during our development meetings.

Anyway, I want to take your thoughts to another discussion I am having with my team about 'Multi-Player Gaming' on the iPhone and Touch.

Any thoughts on Local Wifi Multi-Player Gaming, Internet Wide Location Multi-Player Gamings' would be of much use.

Do you think it can be a success on the iPhone?
What type of games do you think it will/does work best with?
Any great examples that you know where is DOES and DOESN'T work.

As stated in my original post, we are a Publisher/Developer and use these forums to chat with the people that it means most too.

Happy Discussions!!

http://www.playeronesport.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/PlayerOneSports

Publisher - iPhone, J2ME, Brew, Blackberry, WinMob
04-02-2009, 08:19 AM
i am new here, but if I play mulitplayer it is never local..

offcourse simple games like 4 in a row always work as multiplayer, card games, sport games etc.

For "bigger" games like racers and fps you will need a good community to rely on for a succesfull online expirience, for example Raging thunder and wave blazer are multiplayer but I rarely see people playing it??

I had winmobile and symbian devices before the iphone and I saw a lot of developers trying but all failed because of lack on interest from the community.

Imho a good online game on mobile devices will be very hard look @ xbox live and how long it took them to create a succesfull online gaming business

My personal expierince is that quake 1 till 3 ( both symbian and pocket pc's ) were most succesfull because you could play against people on normal pc's which instantly creates a big community

on the other hand if fifa for iphone would be online it would be playing it all day lol

04-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Whether it's over local WiFi or teh interwebs I have so far only enjoyed playing people who are in the same room for the following reasons (disclaimer: I'm into super casual games):

- Lack of substantial communities as mentioned above.
- Game speed often quite slow: frustrating alone but bearable with friends.
- If someone doesn't understand something, the other person can help.
- If someone in the same room decides not to play anymore it's not as frustrating as online players repeatedly dropping out.
- Boardgames are fun but don't really fit with our culture anymore. It's nice to play 20mins of something on an iPhone and then instantly pack everything away with the 'home' button and instantly resume it whenever we want...

So... so far I prefer the speed of 'passing' games, where only one iPhone is used.

However, I think it would be really nice to get more games that work well over local WiFi. My friends and I are waiting for Classic Monopoly on four iPhones!

The online games communities I do think work are XBL and Casual Collective. The first from sheer number of people playing and the second from commitment and an established culture of buying into what's happening on the site.

Wishlist: Alien Hominid, Castle Crashers, Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Swords & Soldiers, Tyrian
Playing: Kryzer Prologue, Flight Control, Knights Onrush
04-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by winmo View Post
on the other hand if fifa for iphone would be online it would be playing it all day lol
I second that notion.
04-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Local wifi has never really done me any good since I'm not just going to sit around with my touch and play games with my friends. I know lots of people probably do do that but I've never used local wifi gameplay much.

However, online multiplayer is a different story. A game that works perfectly with online play and has a large user base is a big success in my book. I always look for online games since it's so much fun to see how you stack up with other players around the world. But, like I said, without a large user base and if you have a bad server, online play fails. I think Galcon and Bomber Online did pretty decent jobs in making a fun online experience. There are always people to play with and it's a different game everytime you play. Watchmen: Justice Is Coming failed at online play IMO. There's hardly anybody ever on and whenever there is my touch always lags like crazy and every once in a while they boot me off the server for no reason.

I think online play is an interesting idea that consumers love if it's pulled off correctly.

/sarcasm
04-02-2009, 09:16 AM
One of my personal pet peeves is how few games use internet online gaming with a device where almost everybody is connected to the internet in someway especially via distribution of games. Wifi gaming is cool but I'm sorry most of us don't have four friends we hang around with to play locally. Imagine how cool something like ishoot would be if we were able to play each other right now instead of having only wi-fi play.

Internet play is the single best way to introduce long term playability if it fits the concept of the game someone is making so I'm always annoyed that iphone devs have sort of ignored it.

As far as what games work best all I can say is that turn based or real time strategy games so far seem like the best mix. It's always better to be playing against a human in those situations than an AI.

Or How about a co-op tower defense game where you can play with a friend and the map is larger than the screen so you have to pinch in and pinch out and you both have to concentrate on different parts of the map

Also someone make a Chu-Chu Rocket clone please on the iphone. Just thought I would say that.

Last edited by Stoney Mason; 04-02-2009 at 09:18 AM.
04-02-2009, 09:16 AM
local Wifi is so pointless, I mean, I don't know WHO has a ton of friends who just HAPPEN to have iPhones and just HAPPEN to have the same game as you. Online multiplayer is waaaay better.

look at Galcon if you want to see an example of good online multiplayer action.
04-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashzed View Post
local Wifi is so pointless, I mean, I don't know WHO has a ton of friends who just HAPPEN to have iPhones and just HAPPEN to have the same game as you. Online multiplayer is waaaay better.

look at Galcon if you want to see an example of good online multiplayer action.
youre dam right there. i get really annoyed when i head that a game is having wifi play only to read that its local only

online against anyone is awesome and im dying for someone to bring out a fps game like quake, call of duty etc with online deathmatch
04-02-2009, 10:19 AM
To be honest, in my personal opinion (not PlayerOneSports), I believe that FPS games work best at a fast paced.

I do not believe that the iPhone is yet capable of giving the user the FPS experience that everyone wants. I do believe that it would work well (sniping people while on the train home would be satisfying), however I do not believe that the FPS experience would be good at the moment.

Personally, I believe that turn-based games are the way forward with the current hardware limitations, or very simple apps.

We have just downloaded Galcon from the comments above, and myself,our development director and our head of post production hear really likes the game.

The information and discussions that you guys have are a real asset to us, helping create the better game.

As for turn-based games, what should we be paying particular attention to and why?

Cheers guys and girls.

http://www.playeronesport.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/PlayerOneSports

Publisher - iPhone, J2ME, Brew, Blackberry, WinMob
04-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet View Post
youre dam right there. i get really annoyed when i head that a game is having wifi play only to read that its local only

online against anyone is awesome and im dying for someone to bring out a fps game like quake, call of duty etc with online deathmatch
Always read close into the description of the game before you buy it and do a little research because I have the same problem too. Local Wifi is a joke but I would buy a game solely because it has a good online play user base.

I don't think anybody can wait for an online deathmatch fps to come out. Just think of how many hours of time wasting, violent entertainment it can provide!

/sarcasm