★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: The Mario of the iPhone?

04-02-2009, 03:17 PM
The Mario of the iPhone?

Hey guys!! This may have already been talked about (and maybe quickly buried?) being a somewhat silly question, but I must ask...

What game do you think will be remembered as the "Mario" of the iPhone?

Growing up, I remember hundreds of thousands of NES games coming out all the time but in the end, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania...etc. withstood the test of time. Now that the iPhone/iPod Touch is quickly becoming the next big gaming console(?), is there any game(s) you'll fondly look back on, years from now while floating down the street in your hover car?

Not that I ever beat it but I think Super Monkey Ball (and maybe Papi) will be remembered. What do you think?
04-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Bounce on

Currently Playing: MiniGore, LUXOR, Baseball Sluggers, Zenonia, Spy Bot Chronicles,
openfeint ID: stykman Plus+ ID: Stykman
Twitter: Stykman1 follow me
Beta tested: 15 games

04-02-2009, 03:22 PM
The short answer?... there isn't one!

I think, in my opinion, the closest the iPhone/iTouch has to a 'Mario' game at present would be 'Bounce On'. Sure, you control a little red ball, but it captures the platforming element more than any other at this current time.
Rolando and Sway really stick out for me.

Life Is Too Short To Be Wordy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppAttack View Post
Hey guys!! This may have already been talked about (and maybe quickly buried?) being a somewhat silly question, but I must ask...

What game do you think will be remembered as the "Mario" of the iPhone?

Growing up, I remember hundreds of thousands of NES games coming out all the time but in the end, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania...etc. withstood the test of time. Now that the iPhone/iPod Touch is quickly becoming the next big gaming console(?), is there any game(s) you'll fondly look back on, years from now while floating down the street in your hover car?

Not that I ever beat it but I think Super Monkey Ball (and maybe Papi) will be remembered. What do you think?
Thats easy, Rolando. Rolando is the most visible game on the app store, and the most successful. Not that I think it's the best game for the iPhone, but it does have a certain polish that most games don't have.
Rolando and maybe but probably not iDracula
pocket god!
04-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan1192 View Post
Rolando and maybe but probably not iDracula
Huh?!?! The only thing Mario and iDracula have in common is that they both have the letters a, r, and i in their titles.
04-02-2009, 03:28 PM
All of those games you mentioned endured because they were heavily marketed and ultimately made into franchises with iconic characters and/or highly memorable qualities that spawned numerous sequels, most of which are still alive today on modern consoles. To be a "Mario of the iPhone" a developer would pretty much have to meet very similar criteria. There aren't many games on the iPhone right now that could qualify. There are various flavours of sparks of it in the likes of Bobby Carrot, Toy Bot Diaries, Bounce On, and games like that, but they haven't achieved any sort of iconic status yet.

However, if and when a game comes along that could very well be the iPhone's Mario, it's something we'll all pretty much know right off the mark.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
04-02-2009, 03:28 PM
People when they say the "mario" of the iphone they dont mean just the best platformer... they mean that when you hear the word "iphone" the first game that pops in your head is the "mario." And its the game that open the doors of gaming on that platform, just as mario opened the doors for the NES.

I'm probably going to have to say Rolando, because its the first well polished game that used all the capabilities for the iphone, and from what I could read, its going to be an on going series.

Last edited by Maythius; 04-02-2009 at 03:33 PM.