★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

So, do you like xcode 4.0?

03-10-2011, 05:09 PM
So, do you like xcode 4.0?

I have just updated to XCode 4.0 and i must say i like it a lot!It's more organized, the debug is awesome, the fact that you see your errors in real time without having to build your code is a really cool feature!
Another thing that popped was the fact that it looks a little bit like itunes!
03-10-2011, 06:24 PM
sounds good. havent gotten around to downloading it yet. my connection is so slow it takes about 2-3 days to download it so i'll prolly do it over a w/e.

do i have to download it through the mac app store? or is it still possible the old way?

03-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonan View Post
sounds good. havent gotten around to downloading it yet. my connection is so slow it takes about 2-3 days to download it so i'll prolly do it over a w/e.

do i have to download it through the mac app store? or is it still possible the old way?
If you're a registered iOS or Mac developer you can go to http://developer.apple.com to download it, otherwise I believe it's $4.99 in the Mac App Store.

One thing that threw me off, was that the build folder is no longer located in the project directory. Took me a while to figure it out by looking at the prefs! heh
03-11-2011, 12:16 AM
I know James (other 1/2 of Makeshift Games here) has been IMing me all day with awesome new things he's discovered while using it.

Apparently it's a pretty amazing upgrade for his workflow

Tim Moser - Developer, Makeshift Games
Depict - The Ultimate Multiplayer Pictionary Game
Get Depict on iTunes
Like Depict on Facebook
03-11-2011, 01:55 AM
hate it. can't open up docs in new windows, they blew up all my shortcuts.

will use 3.x as long as I can.
03-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Another great thing i discovered is the fact that it figures out what you are trying to do and if you have a syntax or implementation error it suggests a fix, it saves a lot of time!
Another nice thing is that interface builder is no longer a diffrent aplication, it is incorporated in xcode!you can see your code side by side with your nib file allowing you to link your elements directly with your code, for example if you have a button you can link it with the iboutlet declaration by control dragging from the button directly in the header file!!
03-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Its friggin Awesome!

I have both XCode 3 and 4 installed on my machine right now. Iv been using 4 throughout its beta days (when it was prone to crashes every now and then) but even then it was totally worthwhile to use. Even though im a beginner at iOS development - XCode 4 has decreased the learning curve tremendously - and in case you havent noticed yet - Im a HUGE fan! Some of the best things so far about it:

-- Dual Pane Mode: The ability to see my .m and .h files side by side (and have it intelligently recognize which file it should show in the right pane) is INCREDIBLY helpful when your just getting back into development. It just makes it easier to visualize the object you are creating as you write its methods.

-- Integrated Interface Builder: It made no logical sense for me as a developer that IB was a separate application. The workflow you have by having it integrated into XCode is super smooth and just makes more sense.

-- Real Time Debug: Not having to build a project in order to realize that I have left off a semicolon somewhere just reduces frustration - that means that im willing to sit at my computer working on my personal projects for a much longer time then I would otherwise.

I understand that long time XCode developers arent going to like a lot of the changes - but for me it just created a world of a difference. Im not a fan of the fact that they changed the way templates are handled / structured (so none of my Cocos2D templates will show up till cocos gets updated) which is the only reason I still have XCode 3 installed - but if anyone who is learning is going to make the switch, they should jump straight into XCode4!

"Ride down the face of a tsunami and tell me you don't feel bitchin'." -- Charlie Sheen
03-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfarrell View Post
hate it. can't open up docs in new windows, they blew up all my shortcuts.

will use 3.x as long as I can.
Yes you can open docs in a new window...

Preferences > General tab > Double Click Navigation = Use Separate Window
03-12-2011, 01:12 AM
So far it's a nightmare. I might very well grow to love it in time, but for now it's just a completely alien environment. I'm having loads of trouble doing simple stuff like building/archiving, even getting my app to run in the simulator was anything but straightforward.

*Sigh* guess I better look through that pdf on Apple's site.
03-12-2011, 01:50 AM
Hm. Tried to install it yesterday.
Result: "In order to continue installation, please close the following application: iTunes"
Itunes *is* closed....