★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Drift around corners with guns blazing and take out legendary competitors in this fast-paced, top-down racing game.

- 4 different game modes on 5 different tracks each.
- Universal Binary that supports iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
- Retina Display support for 4th generation iPod touch and iPhone 4.
- Game Center leaderboards support, so you can compete with your friends.
- 5 Game Center Achievements to earn.

A video of the game in action is viewable here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr4rOc-mpdg

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

iPad Screenshots:
(click to enlarge)

03-11-2011, 09:00 AM
This looks pretty fun. The touch controls remind me of touch nitro racing.

03-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Just visited the developers website, and was shocked to see that they were the same team that worked on N+!! I also watched the xbox arcade video and the game looks sick. I just want to know what other features the iOS version has. If it has multiplayer and car customization, I'm all over this.

03-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Impressions after a very quick go. It's a good looking game and seems nicely polished. There's no multiplayer but there's a few different modes so it seems like there's reasonable single player content.

However; I just can't get on with the controls. Firing is handled automatically apart from specials, which I think is a good thing but the steering is a different matter. Rather than buttons/wheel/slider you put your finger on the track ahead of your car and it heads in that direction.
The game's just too hectic for that to work IMO and your finger's in the way for a lot of the time.

If there was an option for a more traditional setup or better yet, a suite of schemes to choose from then I would recommend this game. Oh yeah, and multiplayer please.
03-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Thank you for the impressions. I assumed their wasn't multiplayer, but just wanted to be sure. How's the frame rate?

03-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seishu View Post
This looks pretty fun. The touch controls remind me of touch nitro racing.
That's definitely a good thing in my opinion. I loved the controls on that game.

(GC = BUNGLEZ) (OF = farmersuitical) (Plus+ = bungle747) (Crystal = bunglez)

I review apps and games frequently in the UK app store, and here on the forums. If you want anything reviewed, just ask.
03-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Hi MetaGonzo,

I'm one of the devs of the game, so thanks for the feedback!!

We experimented with different steering methods (including steering wheel, sliders, etc), and most of them really didn't work very well. The cars in our game tend to be smashed and rotated around a lot, and this (in our opinion) makes steering really difficult with a steering wheel or a slider. Once we changed it to the touch nitro racing style steering, everybody was able to drive around the track without crashing into walls, so we stuck with it.

That said, we can always add it back in in an update.
03-11-2011, 01:30 PM
That makes sense, but more control options are generally a good thing. Does the game run smoothly?

(GC = BUNGLEZ) (OF = farmersuitical) (Plus+ = bungle747) (Crystal = bunglez)

I review apps and games frequently in the UK app store, and here on the forums. If you want anything reviewed, just ask.
03-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Hi Seishu,

The iOS version of Scrap Metal is a 'light' version of Scrap Metal XBLA. It doesn't have multiplayer, and it doesn't have the XBLA campaign. It does have 4 different modes (race, derby, survivor, and timetrial), with 5 challenges each. Each challenge is hooked up to GameCenter leaderboards, so you can compete with others for the best times or highest scores.

We were under the (possibly false) impression that not many people were actually playing realtime multiplayer games on their iOS devices. Hmm, maybe we need to look into this some more and add it in a future update...

Cheers,
Nick
03-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Hi bunglez,

Yea, the game runs quite smooth. The game runs at 30fps on 3GS and up.

Here's a video of the game in action on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr4rOc-mpdg

This was recorded from an iPad using a camera.

Cheers,
Nick