★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Hexo Mini for iPhone

03-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Hexo Mini for iPhone

Hi everybody!

I just wanted to let you know that our latest app for iPhone, Hexo Mini, was just released.

Hexo is a multi player game that allows form one to four players on the same iPhone. So You can play against any combination of three other people or computer controlled AI players. There are four different AI personalities to choose from: the Queen of Hearts, the Queen of Diamonds, the Queen of Spades and the Queen of Clubs.

The object of each play mode is to play out all of the tiles available in the tile bag. The current count of tiles remaining is listed at the bottom of the game board. After each turn the player’s tile rack will be repopulated with tiles from the bag until no more tiles remain. The first player to play all of their tiles out ends the game and the player with the highest score wins.

For more information, check out: http://appracatappra.com/iphone-apps/hexo-mini

If you have any questions or comments, I'd be happy to hear them.
03-11-2011, 09:37 AM
The UI and gameboard look pretty nice. Do you have a vid showing the game in action?

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy

03-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeDaddy View Post
The UI and gameboard look pretty nice. Do you have a vid showing the game in action?
Actually yes we do, lookup Hexo on YouTube
03-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerKevin View Post
Actually yes we do, lookup Hexo on YouTube
Given that you're pretty new to the forum, I'd like to recommend some tips based on what other devs have done to help promote their wares on this forum. I am sure I'm not alone when I say that I consider this to be THE Premiere site for all things game-related for the iDevices. That being said, it would help both you (as the developer) and us (as prospective buyers who not only could possibly purchase the app for ourselves but, if we really liked it, spread the word about your game) by making it as easy as possible to see what you're game is all about.

I've been on your site and there are only screenshots and text. Gamers like to see clips or vids...whether it be a teaser trailer or actual gameplay...it all helps us make a better, informed decision. I actually Googled your game for any vids earlier today after my initial post and found nothing. As per your direction, I went to YouTube and searched using the following key words "hexo" (as you instructed), "hexo mini", "hexomini", "hexo mini iphone" and found nothing as of the time of this writing. As a prospective buyer, I think you need to make it easier for us (given that there are many apps out there to choose from) by positioning and presenting your game in a way that would draw the most attention.

One might argue that that is a lot of work for a $0.99 game, and who cares, just buy it. However, I spend on the average anywhere from $25-60 a month on games and apps. Even with that flexibility in my budget, I always do research prior to purchasing. Forgive my rant, but, we need more than just text and screenshots to make an informed decision.

Then again, I could be wrong and you'd be raking in the bucks despite my marketing preferences. Anyway, I just thought I'd let off some steam due to the lack of information surrounding your game and it has been rather frustrating trying to discover more...Have a great night.

Drummerboycroy
03-11-2011, 11:14 PM

Gameplay Trailer:

03-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Thanks, Sanuku. (I gotta learn how you guys make the software posts...)

Drummerboycroy
03-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Ok, after watching the video of how the game operates on the iPad, I was blown away. Sadly, the game in its current state for the iphone/itouch isn't optimized for the smaller screen. The main menu poorly utilizes the available real estate as the four games displayed for users to choose from has print so tiny that it renders any text illegible and useless. There is some grace, as one can pinch inward or outward for relative scaling that makes the text readable.

The game itself runs at a very slow framerate and barely chugs along. In fact, I experienced delays when, after my turn, the AI players' text would appear and I'd try to zoom in to see it, but the game doesn't record touch movement when the AI is thinking, so you can't read your opponents' text.

To the dev's credit, the price point is low and the graphics are stellar. But, I ended up deleted this game after about an hour of frustrating gameplay. The dev needs to rework the game and make some smart choices keeping in mind that "mini" doesn't mean its a larger game scrunched into a smaller device. This needs to be optimized for the smaller screen and the latest OS (I'm currently running on 4.3 as of this writing).

I really wanted to like this game. I'm tempted to say that I want my money back as I ended up deleting it an hour later. I hope future upgrades will address these problems. I also hope upgrades come quickly because, as I said, I want to enjoy the game, but can't due to its glaring shortcomings.

Drummerboycroy
03-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeDaddy View Post
Thanks, Sanuku. (I gotta learn how you guys make the software posts...)
Just quote the post to see the code he used.

(GC = BUNGLEZ) (OF = farmersuitical) (Plus+ = bungle747) (Crystal = bunglez)

I review apps and games frequently in the UK app store, and here on the forums. If you want anything reviewed, just ask.
03-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunglez View Post
Just quote the post to see the code he used.
Thanks!

Drummerboycroy