★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Vilotto - New Unique Turn Based Strategy - In Design (No screenshots yet)

03-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Vilotto - New Unique Turn Based Strategy - In Design

First off, I want to apologize if this is not the correct forum. I could not find a place where this type of post seemed most fitting. If this is the wrong place, mods feel free to move it

So now on the meat. I'm in the process of developing a new unique Turn Based Strategy game for the iPod / iPhone (and eventually iPad). The game is currently in the early alpha development stage so I have little to show right now, sadly I wanted to start a thread here, however, to provide some information on the game and solicit feedback from what appears to be the most active community of iOS gamers

For my first post I'd like to give a little background on the game and what it is. I'd also like to talk about one of the biggest features in the game - the huge class system which revolves around character aging and reincarnation.

Quote:
Brief Overview of Vilotto

Vilotto is a new, unique, single and multiplayer Turn Based Strategy (TBS) game. What makes Vilotto unique is the view it's played from. Most TBS games are played from either a top-down or an isometric view. Vilotto is played from a 2D Side Scroller view (like MapleStory, Mario, etc). This view provides Vilotto the ability to offer new battle techniques such as Upwards and Downwards attacks and movement. Since sprites are "blocking" this also opens up a new angle on the strategy of character placement. For instance, a Warrior in the backlines is useless since he cannot move through the Mage, and the Mage ends up bearing the brunt of damage. If you move the Warrior in front of the Mage, however, the Warrior can act as a tank for the Mage.

Vilotto also offers a world where NO equipment is rewarded and/or bought. Instead only crafting materials are dropped as rewards or bought from stores. It's the sole responsibility of the player to collect materials and craft any and ALL equipment his/her characters may need. I'm also currently toying with the idea of allowing for player shops and/or a global auction house system. If this system makes it into the release this would allow players to sell materials and crafted items to other players.

As mentioned above, Vilotto also offers a HUGE class system for the player to take advantage of. The initial release of Vilotto will see about 15 - 20 different classes with plans of expanding that to 45-50 classes through content expansions and game updates. Each and every class will have their own unique set of characteristics and abilities.

Class System (Part 1)

For Part 1 I will not be going into specific class names and details but instead want to provide a quick overview of how the system will work.

In Vilotto your charcter(s) start out at Lv1 and Age1. As you fight monsters your characters earn experience points (per usual). When a character has earned enough XP, he levels up to the next level. He/she also ages up one age. So if your character is Lv1, Age1 and levels up, your character is now Lv2, Age2.

When your character reaches Age10 he/she has the ability to be reincarnated as a more advanced version of their current class. In order for reincarnation to happen, however, the character must die. When a character past Age10 dies, they lose half their experience points (Lv10 becomes Lv5) and they MUST be reincarnated.

This loss only happens at the first death past Age10. Any other following death will be treated normally. That is, of course, until your character ages up to to the next multiple of 10 (20, 30, etc). At that point the process of reincarnation is repeated. So basically the reincarnation process happens once for an Age10 character and again for an Age20, and again for an Age30, etc.

They are not forced to reincarnate into an advanced version of their class, however. They can reincarnate into a different (or the same!) class while still keeping some of the abilities of their previous class. This effectively provides a class change system and also allows for the ability for class branching (Class A and Class B need to be Level X before Class C can be used) which I will talk about in more detail in a later part.

Now, once a character has reached an Age multiple of 10 (10, 20, etc) he/she does not have to reincarnate so long as they stay alive. Going this route allows your character to keep earning skills for their current class and also to keep gaining levels so when they do finally have to reincarnate they will come back at a higher level. If you do wish to reincarnate immediately you can have your character take the easy route and commit suicide.

It should also be noted that Age continues to climb through each reincarnation. NO Age is lost. An Age10 character who dies comes back as Lv5 and Age11. This is important because characters can only get so old before they die for good. How old a character can get is fully dependent on the character. A warrior who has taken a beaten in his life will lead a shorter life than a wizard who has an extreme amount of willpower or a bard who has a high spirit.
Well there you have it, a brief introduction to Vilotto and one of it's biggest features, the reincarnation system. As I said in my introduction, at this point I'm currently looking for feedback on the ideas I throw out there so please provide any thoughts, concerns, and/or questions you may have. I want to keep the people who will (hopefully!) be playing the game in the feedback loop as much as possible.

I hope what I've thrown out there so far sparks at least a little interest in my project Mucho thanks in advance for any feedback you may provide and thanks for reading

Last edited by jlach; 03-20-2011 at 07:11 PM.
03-13-2011, 12:51 AM
I'm interested in seeing how this side-view TBS plays out.

And 20 classes?!?

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind

03-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
I'm interested in seeing how this side-view TBS plays out.

And 20 classes?!?
First, thanks for the reply. I've heard the "I'm interested in seeing how this plays out" response from everyone I've talked to. It seems the concept serves to pique curiosity if nothing else

I'll have some early alpha preview videos ready in the next couple weeks that show off some basic gameplay elements. I'm convinced it will be a fun view to play from

Also, 20 classes are not really 20 classes. For instance, there are Male and Female versions of each class which are counted as different classes (different name, slightly different skill values). Also, there are no "jack of all trades" wizards/sorcerers. Instead there are Fire Mages, Wind Mages, Ice Mages, etc.

Each and every class has a highly specialized role. As an example, there may be a Healer class which is really good at burst healing but has no "over time" spells. Her counterpart might be a class with no Burst healing spells but is instead very good at "over time" healing.

I went this route because, honestly, it's the type of class system I prefer and this project started out of my lust for a game of this type and it not existing! I guess my point is that while it sounds like a lot of classes, it's not as daunting as it seems because there will be a role for each and every class to fill.
03-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlach View Post
It should also be noted that Age continues to climb through each reincarnation. NO Age is lost. An Age10 character who dies comes back as Lv5 and Age11. This is important because characters can only get so old before they die for good. How old a character can get is fully dependent on the character. A warrior who has taken a beaten in his life will lead a shorter life than a wizard who has an extreme amount of willpower or a bard who has a high spirit.
There have been games in the past that had things like age or perma-loss from death (usually old WRPGs, but Fire Emblem also comes to mind) and there's a good reason people don't implement it anymore. That kind of mechanic just makes the reset button a big part of the gameplay (or in the case of iOS games, the backup/restore function). I do think the rest of the description sounds great, and I'm also curious to see how it will come out.
03-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Certainly sounds like you have to put some careful thought into building your team, since the classes are highly specialized and restricted. That could be part of the fun though; experimenting with different combinations.

And sorry for the vague "interested" comment. Without more details, images, or a video, there isn't really much else to say.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
03-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazarath View Post
There have been games in the past that had things like age or perma-loss from death (usually old WRPGs, but Fire Emblem also comes to mind) and there's a good reason people don't implement it anymore.
I thought about that during the design process and decided that I think I can do it a little better than just "You die and you're dead". The player will know if the character is aging to the point of being close to dying - their will be cues such as a decline in stats. There will also be a "Character X is getting old, has about X battles left" warning as the character is getting close to the end of his life. There will also be ways in the game to prevent death from happening, such as fountains of youth and what not.

We're also toying with the idea of adding in the concept of "Ghosts". This would work like this - if a character ages to a certain age and then dies the player has the option of bringing them back as a "Ghost". Ghosts are normal, playable, characters except they lose the ability to be reincarnated. This means that if the ghost dies he can still come back but he can never advance beyond his current class. If implemented this would obviously come at a cost to the player. Something like maybe Ghosts earn 50% less XP or something. Haven't really designed this concept out that far yet.

Not to discount what you mention, of course During testing it may be found that the idea, even with our twists, still sucks at which point we'll have to scrap it

Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
Certainly sounds like you have to put some careful thought into building your team, since the classes are highly specialized and restricted. That could be part of the fun though; experimenting with different combinations.

And sorry for the vague "interested" comment. Without more details, images, or a video, there isn't really much else to say.
No need to apologize for the comment. I think it's a good response and one that is to be expected. It is something that may have never been tried (though I'm sure it's been done once or twice?) and is certainly not common.

The player absolutely has to put thought into their party makeup. Fortunately for the player this won't be hard and will be kind of forced upon them. (Outlined why and how below).

Vilotto is a TBS without much of a story. The plan is to have it a be a never ending game with as many levels as people want to grind (up to about level 9,999). The game consists of really two different maps - the "town" and the "battle" maps. The town map never changes. It's always the same and it serves as a place to buy materials, items, hire characters, craft, etc. Not unlike the town seen in the Disgaea series.

The battle maps, on the other hand, work very differently. They are randomly generated and a very distinct and laid out "workflow" is used when building the maps. It goes like this -

1) Player choses to enter a battle. Every X number of battles won the player can chose to enter a "Boss" battle. Every X "Boss" battles won the player can chose to enter a "God" battle.
2) System randomly choses a "theme" for that battle. Maybe it's a cave, maybe it's a lava pit, etc. The theme of the battle determines the types of enemies that will spawn.
3) System randomly generates the "weather" for the map. This will determine elemental weakness and strengths of the monsters spawned.
4) The map is generated without monsters.
5) Player has chance to inspect map and see the "theme" and weather of it. This will let the player know what type of characters they'll want to bring into battle.
6) Player choses his/her characters and places them inside the "player area" on the map.
7) System randomly generates X number of monsters. The level and class of the monsters are determined based on the average level of the party and the classes in that party.

The game is, ultimately, about beating things up and earning big numbers. But that's also where the challenge is going to lie. It's not going to be easy keeping characters alive long enough to reach the max level of 9,999. It will be possible, however, through crafting items and using some special skills from some of the higher tiered classes.
03-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Wow, you're right, this is actually make me interested. I never played games with reincarnation system, well except if you want to call The Sims one of it, hehe. Can't wait for the videos now. C:
03-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlach View Post
The game is, ultimately, about beating things up and earning big numbers. But that's also where the challenge is going to lie. It's not going to be easy keeping characters alive long enough to reach the max level of 9,999. It will be possible, however, through crafting items and using some special skills from some of the higher tiered classes.
This game sounds right up my alley, and the "big numbers"/reincarnation concept reminds me of Disgaea, which is my favorite SRPG series to date. Was this inspired by Disgaea, and will there be more Disgaea influences in the game (i.e. comical characters, insane damage numbers)? I would love to see some concept art for this game.

Follow me (@zeroxharuhi) on Twitter!
03-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruhi View Post
This game sounds right up my alley, and the "big numbers"/reincarnation concept reminds me of Disgaea, which is my favorite SRPG series to date. Was this inspired by Disgaea, and will there be more Disgaea influences in the game (i.e. comical characters, insane damage numbers)? I would love to see some concept art for this game.
Vilotto was definitely heavily inspired by Disgaea. There will be insane damage, high level caps, crazy monsters, etc. I'm also working on a way of brining the item world into Vilotto without ripping off Disgaea too bad. The one thing from Disgaea that will be missing is the humorous story.

The game play will be humorous, however. My plan is instead of adding cool "hit effect" animations (ie: when someone is hit with a sword) I'll be using old cheesy comic book words like "Bam!" and "Pow!". If someone casts fire, instead of seeing flames you'll see "Torch!" with the cheesy stared bubble around it. If someone blocks an attack with a shield you may see the world "Tink!" show up on top of the blocker to denote that he/she just blocked an attack.

Concept art is in the works, though it's not your typical concept art. Basically just hand drawings. I'm not an artist so I'm using a friend of mine for the concept art. I can't take too much of his time, ya know?

In the mean time I'm using the awesome prototyping graphics from the Lost Garden website. (Had to plug him since they've been useful in many of my projects!) http://www.lostgarden.com/2007/05/da...ible-game.html
03-13-2011, 04:31 PM
I see, thanks for clarifying. I'll be looking forward to seeing the concept art.

Follow me (@zeroxharuhi) on Twitter!