★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The Game Developer Anti-Piracy Initiative : Developers Unite and Read!

03-12-2011, 04:40 PM
The Game Developer Anti-Piracy Initiative : Developers Unite and Read!

OK, so basically I'm getting annoyed by piracy. Knife Media has lost 1000's of sales to careless pirates who think nothing of stealing our apps. So what am I gonna do about it?

Here's the plan.

I propose that 20+ developers get together and create a once shown app startup sequence video to educate players about piracy. We need to form some sort of alliance to stop this, or at least make them feel bad about it.

I'm asking well known developers as well as small timers to join together and fight piracy. If you are big time, all the better. If small, this is beneficial to you too.

The video we need to make will display once, then never again. It will have branding (the anti-piracy initiative logo, etc.) and a humorous cartoon segment to show the folly of their selfishness. Not only that, but to give developers a face we can all upload and combine our 5 second "I'm X from company X, and I lost X amount of dollars to piracy" video monologues.

Tell me what you think, but let's get this rolling. I have experience in animation and design so I should be able to get the basics done. I'll need support for this to gain momentum. The more on board, the better.

I really think we can do this.

VIVA LA REVELADOR!
03-12-2011, 05:17 PM
90% of iOS device owners probably don't know that piracy of apps exists and think that you can only get games through the app store, do you really want to let them know that it is possible to download them for free?

03-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Plus, crackers will be crackers no matter what and seem to crack anything even if they're not particularly interested in the title anyway.

I know nothing annoys me more as a consumer than having to watch that stupid anti-DVD-rip film: "You wouldn't steel a car... don't copy" or whatnot. I JUST BOUGHT THE BL*ODY THING I am not a part of the problem. People downloading films never have to put up with this crap, you always risk annoying the paying customers which might actually make people more positive to the idea of pirating...
03-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Plus, crackers will be crackers no matter what and seem to crack anything even if they're not particularly interested in the title anyway.

I know nothing annoys me more as a consumer than having to watch that stupid anti-DVD-rip film: "You wouldn't steel a car... don't copy" or whatnot. I JUST BOUGHT THE BL*ODY THING I am not a part of the problem. People downloading films never have to put up with this crap, you always risk annoying the paying customers which might actually make people more positive to the idea of pirating...
+1
Don't show your pain, there are some anti-piracy code that will slow down piracy and not make it so mainstream. I have no clue why developers choose not to use this code.
03-12-2011, 06:03 PM
I agree with the respondents. Pirates simply do not buy games. Therefore, I'm not going to waste time and money "educating" anyone at the risk of alienating the paying customers. I hate those anti-piracy messages on DVDs and Blu-ray, too. Pirates never see them. Far better to spend that time on polish. Also, claims of lost revenue due to piracy are dubious for many reasons. There is an entire ecosystem for games and media, and like it or not, pirates will always be there. Far better to convince pirates to support you if they like your game rather than shame everybody with anti-piracy messages.

Our plan is to release frequent updates with the occasional IAP. This way, paying customers from the App Store will have a pain-free way to keep up with changes. Make things simple and easy for paying customers and ignore the pirates who will have to jump through constant hoops to jailbreak and install updates. In short, make the paid version a better value in the long run than the pirated version.

Dangerous - Epic 3D space combat RPG
Discussion - Website - Trailer - Soundtrack & Preview
03-12-2011, 06:23 PM
I don't think it makes sense to lecture your paying customers.

Instead, I think it makes more sense to target the sites that make it easy to download content illegally.

I posted a thread on this forum that might be helpful to you...
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=72600

Michael Garofalo - App Developer and author of The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook.
03-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
5% of iDevices are jailbroken. Why are you worrying about that tiny slice of the pie instead of the other 95% of the market?

Also, one pirated unit is not the same thing as a lost sale.

i'm a pretty kitty cat
03-13-2011, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shiels View Post

I really think we can do this.
And honestly, I really think you shouldnt´t.

In Addition to the replies of the posts of
Photics, swiftest, Epox, NickFalk & matt1413 (so far)

all you come up with is to punish PAYING customers.
you are about to to all the mistakes the PC and Consoles Game industry
has already been done.
Having to watch Anti Piracy warning for a game I just bought or having
online checks is the best ways to annoy customers.

Plus pirates are pirating because they don´t want to pay. They never would
have payed for you products in the any way in the first place.

my $0.02

TouchArcade Patreon - GameCenter: dyscoder -
03-13-2011, 01:43 AM
We don't have to show it to paying customers - just pirated copies (using isGenuine). It would send them a nice message
03-13-2011, 04:58 AM
It isn't true that a pirated copy is a lost sale, neither is it wrong.
A few pirates actually would buy a game they want if there's no chance to get it free.

But I believe that it is also Apple's turn to do much more against software theft & piracy.
Apple is the distributor, in the end - and obligated to protect the products they sell for you. They take quite a bit of a share - 30% - from every sale, so I guess it should also be in their interest to get their commissions.

Maybe like a special signature in every app which makes it unable to put it on different devices except the ones from the original buyer.
Dunno, but there might be no final solution versus piracy - but they have to make it as difficult as possible for these greedy idiots.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.