★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Desert Island Apps!

03-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Desert Island Apps!

Ok, so you're all alone on a desert island with just your iPhone (or iPad, iPod Touch) for company. But here's the rub, you're only allowed 10 games on it! What are they?

I guess you'd want a pick'n'mix of various genres - even diehard action fans would most likely kill for a decent puzzler inside a week! So what'd help kill time when you're not hunting down a hog for dinner? Well you'd probably want at least 2 big, expansive games that would help get the hours flying by. Perhaps a nice big adventure, a racer, a word game? Definitely some mindless button mashing too yeah?

It's not as easy as it sounds. Go on, give it a go. And no Bear Grylls or SAS survivor apps! It's games only here chaps!

I'll kick us off with my 10 Desert Island Apps (in no particular order):

01. Space Miner: Space Ore Bust
02. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
03. Aralon: Sword and Shadow
04. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
05. N.O.V.A. 2
06. Real Racing 2
07. Street Fighter IV
08. FIFA 11
09. Kami Retro
10. Scrabble

Damn! No room for Galaxy on Fire 2, Speedball 2 Evolution, Rage HD or even Angry Birds! Well, I guess I said it would be tough.

So that's me done. I guess I'm packed..!!

Over to you..

Hall of Fame:
1. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP 2. Machinarium 3. Limbo 4. World of Goo 5. Ridiculous Fishing: A Tale of Redemption 6. Home 7. Rayman Jungle Run 8. Space Miner: Space Ore Bust 9. Rage HD 10. 1-Bit Ninja
03-13-2011, 07:38 PM
You really want to play Aralon, Real Racing 2, NOVA 2, and Street Fighter IV? On a desert island? What about the battery?
Wait-- do we even have electricity and charger there? >:?
I will probably use it for flashlight... or Sudoku. C:

03-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by natejeevas View Post
You really want to play Aralon, Real Racing 2, NOVA 2, and Street Fighter IV? On a desert island? What about the battery?
Wait-- do we even have electricity and charger there? >:?
I will probably use it for flashlight... or Sudoku. C:
It's metaphorical clever clogs!

Hall of Fame:
1. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP 2. Machinarium 3. Limbo 4. World of Goo 5. Ridiculous Fishing: A Tale of Redemption 6. Home 7. Rayman Jungle Run 8. Space Miner: Space Ore Bust 9. Rage HD 10. 1-Bit Ninja
03-13-2011, 08:30 PM
if it were me on the island, i would only play doodle jump, and for the rest of time, desperately call 911
03-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Knights of the Phantom Castle (micro real time strategy)
Highborn (grueling turn based strategy levels)
Dungeon Hunter II (can not emphasize how awesome this is)
Ghost Ninja: Zombie Beatdown (diverse platformer)
N.O.V.A. 2 (if I can not call for help, I might as well frag some people)
Space Invader: Infinity Gene (decent shoot 'em up)
Doomsday (sure it's a cheap Doom clone, but it's a cheap Doom clone!)
Paladog! (polished tower offense)
Devil Invasion (I can not explain it's hold over me despite being a rip-off match 3)
The Quest (it's the game that will not end; it goes on and on...)

Games I haven't gotten around to yet but really want to include: Samurai II, Lara Croft, Battle for Wesnoth, Trouble in Tin Town, Ascendancy... I have too many games.

Edit: How could I have omitted all dual stick shooters?!? ...I guess they're good but they're not "desert island" good.

Last edited by undeadcow; 03-13-2011 at 09:42 PM.
03-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
hmm. Stuck on an island huh? I guess I'll have to go with:

- Grand Theft Auto (You can never get bored of steeling cars and running from the cops)
- Aralon (Nice long RPG)
- Hots Springs Story/Game Dev Story (Lots of replay value)
- Puzzle Agent (I could play through the campaign 100 times and not get bored)
- Run Like Hell (Best Endless Runner IMO)
- NBA: Jam (Gotta have a sports game with ya.)
- Fruit Ninja (Obviously)
- Battleheart (So fun!)
- Bug Heroes (Best DSS)
- Modern Combat 2 (Best FPS)

And a wild card would be Mission: Europa!.....when it comes out.
03-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
hmm. Stuck on an island huh? I guess I'll have to go with:

- Grand Theft Auto (You can never get bored of steeling cars and running from the cops)
- Aralon (Nice long RPG)
- Hots Springs Story/Game Dev Story (Lots of replay value)
- Puzzle Agent (I could play through the campaign 100 times and not get bored)
- Run Like Hell (Best Endless Runner IMO)
- NBA: Jam (Gotta have a sports game with ya.)
- Fruit Ninja (Obviously)
- Battleheart (So fun!)
- Bug Heroes (Best DSS)
- Modern Combat 2 (Best FPS)

And a wild card would be Mission: Europa!.....when it comes out.
You pretty much nailed it perfectly. I'd take out PA and RLH though and replace them with 2 other RPGs :].

Twitter: @back2this
03-13-2011, 11:37 PM
- Defender Chronicles - Great RPG TD game with a Disgaea-calibre metagame
- *One of those Sokoban games with 1,000,000 levels*
- Minecraft (Not sure if it exists yet, but have heard rumors)
- Battle for Wesnoth - Strategy game, probably has the most content in any iOS game today
- iDOS + Abandonware games

Also, I'd like to have a TV that I can output video to and a shack. The small screen and the terrible visibility in direct sunlight would probably make me go blind in a few months .

...you know what, as long as I'm asking for extras I'd like to have a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse as well XD
03-14-2011, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapMad_D View Post
if it were me on the island, i would only play doodle jump, and for the rest of time, desperately call 911
I prefer your answer. I would call 911 without playing Doodle Jump. Haha
03-14-2011, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Potticary View Post
Ok, so you're all alone on a desert island with just your iPhone (or iPad, iPod Touch) for company. But here's the rub, you're only allowed 10 games on it! What are they?

I guess you'd want a pick'n'mix of various genres - even diehard action fans would most likely kill for a decent puzzler inside a week! So what'd help kill time when you're not hunting down a hog for dinner? Well you'd probably want at least 2 big, expansive games that would help get the hours flying by. Perhaps a nice big adventure, a racer, a word game? Definitely some mindless button mashing too yeah?

It's not as easy as it sounds. Go on, give it a go. And no Bear Grylls or SAS survivor apps! It's games only here chaps!

I'll kick us off with my 10 Desert Island Apps (in no particular order):

01. Space Miner: Space Ore Bust
02. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
03. Aralon: Sword and Shadow
04. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
05. N.O.V.A. 2
06. Real Racing 2
07. Street Fighter IV
08. FIFA 11
09. Kami Retro
10. Scrabble

Damn! No room for Galaxy on Fire 2, Speedball 2 Evolution, Rage HD or even Angry Birds! Well, I guess I said it would be tough.

So that's me done. I guess I'm packed..!!

Over to you..
I have to say that this guy is an imaginative guy. I have two questions here, the first is how a person can calm down to play games if he is on a desert island alone? The second is now that there is no electricity on the island, how can a guy play through a game?
If i have to make a choice, well i'd like to play Real Racing 2. It's one of my fav.