★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The Fish Dies in the End - Coming Soon

03-13-2011, 07:43 PM
The Fish Dies in the End - Coming on April 13th!

The Fish Dies in the End is an iOS game developed with cocos2d featuring a cute little fish trying to survive as long as possible against all odds. And now the game has been released! Check it out on the App Store and visit the new thread here on TouchArcade!

You can visit our website: http://www.thefishdies.com for more info.
There's also a Twitter profile (@thefishdies) and Facebook page. So please follow/like us if interested!

Features:
  • Gorgeous 2D cartoon graphics.
  • Retina support.
  • Several unique obstables and enemies to avoid - beware of sharks!
  • Simple, one-touch controls. Anyone can play!
  • Randomly generated game - a different experience every time you play!
  • Game Center integration - Achievements and Leaderboards.
  • Multiple difficulty levels.
  • Best way to kill time! (And a fish...)

Screenshots (click to enlarge):

Trailer:

Youtube link | Pop Up

I would love to hear the feedback from this awesome TouchArcade community that helped so much since I began developing for iOS devices! Please tell me if you have any comments, suggestions or criticisms.

Thanks everyone!

Gutenberg Pessoa Botelho Neto
Co-Founder @ Fuze.cc / Developer - The Fish Dies in the End
contato@gutenbergn.com :: http://www.gutenbergn.com/
Twitter :: LinkedIn

Last edited by gutenbergn; 04-13-2011 at 12:12 PM.
03-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Well that name blows, what about changing it to.... well anything else really.

I'll throw out a name to try and get you going in the right direction, Little Fish.

Upcoming Games: CJS2, Racing Apex, High Strangeness, Dino Run, Super Feed Me, Mimeo and the Kleptopus King, Loot, Run Run Dash, Pogo Rampage, Burrito Bison, Star Saver, Pocket Cars, Rock Rider, THEM, Prince of Europa, Epic Dive, One Tap Hero

03-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the reply, doodlejumper. A shame that you don't like the name . I hope that you at least liked the screenshots and general idea of the game!

03-13-2011, 09:03 PM
I like the name... but the black humor might turn off some people. Personally I'm hopeful the cynical jests carry through within the game.
03-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks a lot, undeadcow! I'm biased of course, but I think it's a pretty funny game!

03-14-2011, 03:29 AM
First, the name of the game needs a change. "The Fish Dies in the End" let me have a little negative feeling somehow before playing it. How about changing it to the name of the fish or just Little Fish, something like that. Another, are there any videos which can show more of it as i just feel it's a normal game, having nothing special things which can hold my attention.
03-14-2011, 04:33 AM
Same opinion as the replies above, the name of the game do need a change. It makes me feel sick. A positive one is much better for players to accept. Next, I hope the design of the character can be much more detailed and nicer. The main fish is not attractive currently. One more thing is I can't find the highlights of the game which can make me feel interested in.
03-14-2011, 04:55 AM
Clearly the name is meant to be tongue in cheek, it's going to stand out more then something like "Lil Fishes". Of course, it would help immensely to have some of that black humour seen throughout the game; if all you have is a cute fish trying to survive and unceremoniously dies in the end, it will be seen as an nastily thematic affront to games like Tiny Wings.

So your grasp on humor is key here; you want to be seen poking fun at cute games, either with a wink or harshly, but NOT poking people in the eye. Ever play Tilt To Live? Read the "helpful messages"? Snarkiness like that would go a long way in making people shake their heads and chuckle, instead of scowl.

Show us gameplay video for us to see how you handled it.

Last edited by arta; 03-14-2011 at 04:59 AM.
03-14-2011, 07:38 AM
Lots of feedback, so thanks everyone!

My idea for the name of the game was exactly what arta said, it meant to be tongue-in-cheek and not negative. Anyway, if so many people are feeling bad about the name, maybe it's better to change it after all. If you have any more comments about this topic, just let me know.

I'll have a gameplay video coming really soon, you guys will be the first to know once it's ready .

03-14-2011, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutenbergn View Post
Lots of feedback, so thanks everyone!

My idea for the name of the game was exactly what arta said, it meant to be tongue-in-cheek and not negative. Anyway, if so many people are feeling bad about the name, maybe it's better to change it after all. If you have any more comments about this topic, just let me know.

I'll have a gameplay video coming really soon, you guys will be the first to know once it's ready .
I don't know if you need to change the name just yet, when you posted you didn't really explain that you were doing a tongue in cheek game, so people just saw a casual type game with an ill fitting name. Perhaps you should show us video of what you have at the moment before you do anything; that way we can see the gameplay and vibe of what you're trying to achieve.

I still think if done right you could have something that stands out from the pack, like:

Something funny in the loading screens, cutscenes, messages when you get bonus items, etc like

"What do you get from a bad-tempered shark?
As far away as possible!"

"I knew I should have gone with a cute flightless bird instead."

"Fish... because cute flightless birds don't do so well underwater."

Something like that, maybe darker or lighter depending on your taste. Maybe even the animations could reflect the humor, like Earthworm Jim.

Point is, you have to add more to let people know it's meant to be dark comedy, rather than some bitter dev trying to provoke people.