★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: ColdSpell - The Best Word Game on iPhone

03-14-2011, 04:43 PM
ColdSpell - The Best Word Game on iPhone

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time writer.

Please check out our debut release on iPhone, ColdSpell, an icy themed arcade spelling game. We think it's great fun for all the family, so check it out and challenge your friends.

Youtube link | Pop Up

"COLD" "SPELL" "IS" "AWESOME" and thousands of other words are at your disposal in the latest and greatest word spelling game to hit iOS! You’ve played the rest, now play the best!

SUITABLE FOR ALL
With intuitive controls ColdSpell is simple to pick up and play and is suitable for everyone from children to grandparents.

FOUR WAYS TO PLAY
Pit yourself against four incredible games modes, each offering a unique exciting way to test yourself:
- Time Attack – Complete against the clock trying to score as many points as possible. Look for bigger words to score more points to beat your best scores.
- Elimination – Spelling words cracks tiles which don’t get replaced. Try and eliminate all the tiles to score big. Rotate the device to slide tiles in different directions to link more letters together.
- Challenge – Complete a series of increasingly difficult challenges to progress through this mode. Will you settle for just completing the challenges or will you push yourselves to the limit to score big and gain 3 stars in each?
- Chill – A relaxing practice mode suitable for those getting to grips with ColdSpell or for those that want to try and spell long words without the pressure of the ticking clock.

EMPOWERING
Letter tiles contain special power-ups to help increase your score:
- Extra Time – Gives you longer to search for words
- X2 – Multiplies your word score by two. Get many in a single word to score big.
- Bomb – Got tricky tiles you can’t get rid of? Use the bomb to blow up surrounding tiles

GAME CENTER ENABLED
Compete against your friends to see who's best. Your best friend’s scores are displayed at the end of each round so you can easily see if you’ve beaten them or hit restart to improve your score.

UPDATES COMING SOON
New challenges, new game modes, new fun! Please rate highly in the AppStore to help support future update development.

Get the inside scoop for ColdSpell tips, news of future updates and plans for new exciting games at: http://www.touchheroes.co.uk

P.S. “QI” – ‘Chinese life energy’ and a great word to remove those tricky Q’s

Last edited by Helen - Touch Heroes; 03-15-2011 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling mistakes
03-14-2011, 04:58 PM
This looks great actually, just off to buy it now

03-15-2011, 03:54 AM
That's great Ian, hope you and others are enjoying ColdSpell.

From the initial feedback we've had on launch day, people are loving challenge mode. We think it's a unique mode for word spelling games and we hope to expand this mode further over the coming weeks. We've got a load of new challenges in development but if anybody wants to see a specific challenge then let us know as we're always to open ideas to improve our products.

Hope you all enjoy it!!!
03-15-2011, 04:43 AM
This looks well polished but there's nothing about it that screams out that I must get it over any other decent word game I already own. I guess I'm on the fence; kind of feel like I can take it or leave it. Also, when trying to sell a word game it's extra important to have your app description proof-read. It doesn't exactly instill confidence buying a word game from someone who doesn't appear to know how to spell "empowering," or the difference between "whose" and "who's."
03-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Hi Gabrien,

Thanks for your comments, glad you think ColdSpell looks polished. We worked really hard on it and we believe it is one of best looking and playing word games on the iPhone.

As you are currently 'on the fence' maybe I can try and offer a little encouragement for you to climb down on the snowy side :-)

ColdSpell combines the traditional word spelling mechanic you'll find in lots of other word games but it does so with an arcade twist to bring more excitement to the genre. Rather than the letter board be static and you just try and find as many words as possible, the letters vanish when used and are replaced by new ones. This may sound like a minor difference but it brings in a new tactical element where you try and move tiles next to others to allow large words to be formed. The way new tiles appear is also based on the rotation of the device so you can slide tiles in different directions to get them where you want them.

As described above, we have 4 modes in which to play ColdSpell. We believe this sets us apart from other word games which only offer 1 or 2 modes:
- 'Chill' is where you can relax and get used to the controls.
- 'Time Trial' sees you trying for the highest score against the clock.
- 'Elimination' is more of a puzzle game. The tiles aren't replaced and so you must plan ahead to combinations of letters able to spell words.
- Finally we have 'Challenge'. This combines the elements of all game modes but with set tasks to complete, 'Spell words with no vowels', 'Spell 6 letter words'. Whilst this might sound simple it is great fun and like Angry Birds/Cut The Rope each level is scored against a star rating system so you come back trying to improve your rating.

We also believe that word games like this are best with a bit of competition against friends. Whilst we didn't have time to put in a full multiplayer mode we encourage competitive play by showing your friends best scores as soon as a game ends. Unlike other titles you don't need to head into leaderboard screens off a menu because we show how your friends are doing straight away, so you can try and beat them!

Finally, can I apologise for the spelling mistakes on the description. I hung my head in shame when I read your post. I totally agree it is not acceptable for a word game to make those errors and I won't even try and make any excuses.

We hope you do get off the fence and give it a go, we think ColdSpell is a great title and we're sure you won't regret it!
03-15-2011, 05:54 PM
This is a great word game and both me and my wife are really enjoying it

One thing, though, it really needs a pause button so you don't have to completely exit the app if you need to do something else for a minute.
03-16-2011, 02:44 AM
Hi Ian, great that you both you and the wife are enjoying ColdSpell. To pause the game whilst playing press the paw print (above the countdown clock) to bring up the pause menu. The icons from left to right then allow you to restart the game, continue the game and start a new game.

Maybe we should have beta tested whether people understood that paws meant pause :-(

See you on the leaderboards!
03-16-2011, 04:11 PM
That sounds so obvious now you say it

Thanks
03-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Game Impressions

I did actually download the game shortly after my previous post. Meant to post some impressions but it completely slipped my mind until I saw this thread again just now, sorry.

Overall I'm really pleased with the game. The game modes are actually significantly varied and equally fun.

Two issues that stuck out for me:

This game could definitely benefit from having retina graphics added. Perhaps even some graphical improvements overall. On my iTouch 4G the tiles look pretty washed out and more like granite blocks with chalk scribbled on them than blocks of ice. Ice should look smooth, crisp and clear. That's definitely not happening here. Does not affect the gameplay in the slightest of course, but having top notch graphics like that would make for a more enjoyable experience and sell you a lot more copies.

The other issue, is I'd really like some aural feedback when selecting each tile. The obvious thing would be to play the "ice cracking" sound (and show the graphic) while selecting each tile/letter, then have a more pronounced "shatter" effect/sound for a completed word. While I'm on the topic, the generic "beep" when failing to make a word definitely should also be replaced with something more appropriate and consistent to the theme.

That said, this is still one of the better word games I've tried with regard to gameplay without question. It just needs a few strokes of brilliance and a more concerted focus on the fine details to make it outstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen - Touch Heroes View Post
Hi Gabrien,

Thanks for your comments, glad you think ColdSpell looks polished. We worked really hard on it and we believe it is one of best looking and playing word games on the iPhone.

As you are currently 'on the fence' maybe I can try and offer a little encouragement for you to climb down on the snowy side :-)

ColdSpell combines the traditional word spelling mechanic you'll find in lots of other word games but it does so with an arcade twist to bring more excitement to the genre. Rather than the letter board be static and you just try and find as many words as possible, the letters vanish when used and are replaced by new ones. This may sound like a minor difference but it brings in a new tactical element where you try and move tiles next to others to allow large words to be formed. The way new tiles appear is also based on the rotation of the device so you can slide tiles in different directions to get them where you want them.

As described above, we have 4 modes in which to play ColdSpell. We believe this sets us apart from other word games which only offer 1 or 2 modes:
- 'Chill' is where you can relax and get used to the controls.
- 'Time Trial' sees you trying for the highest score against the clock.
- 'Elimination' is more of a puzzle game. The tiles aren't replaced and so you must plan ahead to combinations of letters able to spell words.
- Finally we have 'Challenge'. This combines the elements of all game modes but with set tasks to complete, 'Spell words with no vowels', 'Spell 6 letter words'. Whilst this might sound simple it is great fun and like Angry Birds/Cut The Rope each level is scored against a star rating system so you come back trying to improve your rating.

We also believe that word games like this are best with a bit of competition against friends. Whilst we didn't have time to put in a full multiplayer mode we encourage competitive play by showing your friends best scores as soon as a game ends. Unlike other titles you don't need to head into leaderboard screens off a menu because we show how your friends are doing straight away, so you can try and beat them!

Finally, can I apologise for the spelling mistakes on the description. I hung my head in shame when I read your post. I totally agree it is not acceptable for a word game to make those errors and I won't even try and make any excuses.

We hope you do get off the fence and give it a go, we think ColdSpell is a great title and we're sure you won't regret it!

Last edited by Gabrien; 03-16-2011 at 06:44 PM.
03-16-2011, 06:48 PM
heres a link to the game. dont see why we have to visit the site to get the game.

Plus+/openfeint: nesio718 Game Center: panama chief
Playing: this new iPad....DAT RETINA!!!
Waiting for: SALES!!!!