★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: THE FABLED LANDS II EXPANSION IS LIVE! (in-app purchase of the expansion now available!)
SET OUT ON A JOURNEY OF FABULOUS ADVENTURE IN LANDS BEYOND THE LIMIT OF YOUR IMAGINATION!

The ultimate 2D RPG for your iPhone and iPod Touch!

With this latest version, you can now purchase (using a new in-app purchase button inside this app) and unlock the major 10-hour-long Fabled Lands II HD expansion, allowing you to travel freely to Golnir in the West. You can use any existing savegame or create a new character in either land, and passback and forth between Golnir and Sokara when needed.

Reviews from various websites and players :

This looks a blast from the past!
The series is incredible, and probably will be the closest thing to a real pen and paper RPG experience that ever makes it to an iOS device
The app itself is brilliant. Graphics are glorious, and the quality is top notch. Obviously, the writing is amazing, and is probably the best written game book available on iOS .
Greatest game book ever! This game is a must-have in my book. I played for about 3 hours straight, and I can't really put this game into solid words without giving things way, but let me put it this way... The game is open world. You can do whatever you want .
Trust me whole hardly when I say," If you like gamebooks you HAVE to buy this game"
I really think this game does a great job of streamlining and redefining the whole gamebook genre. This game feels more immersive and fun than the others games in the genre .

You think it's a gamebook because you know there's a print version. With the other gamebook adaptions, that's very apparent, they don't even try to hide it or make life easier for you. The first few that I bought, I always thought it was cute because it reminded me of the paper gamebooks I own, but that eventually wore off and now I always only think "why couldn't they use the advantages of the platform better". This game is an example of how to do that. It doesn't give up too much of the gamebook feel to be something entirely different, but it doesn't let me do all the work either, keeps track of stuff for me, and so on.
Been playing Fabled Lands for about a couple of hours now and all I can say is I'm really loving it. Gamebooks really shine when used on iPhone. The artwork and style is quite riveting. Not to mention the experience in taking you further in the mind of Dave Morris's creation in another different or perhaps deeper perspective .

Based on the masterpiece gamebook series "Fabled Lands" by legendary authors Dave Morris (Golden Dragon, Dragon Warriors) and Jamie Thomson (Way of the Tiger).

Choose for yourself what role to play, where to go and what to do.

In THE WAR-TORN KINGDOM, revolution rages in Sokara.You can join forces with the king to restore his throne - or look for profit in the pay of the dictator, Grieve Marlock. Use fighting skills or sorcery, bribery or skulduggery to survive the assassins in the city backstreets.

Descend to the sewers of Yellowport to defeat the vile rat-king, Skabb. Retrieve the golden net of the gods from the Repulsive Ones deep beneath the sea - and use the rewards of your victories to travel beyond the boundaries of the known world.

Your journeys will bring you foes and friends, danger and triumph, fortune and fame - and more adventures than you have ever dreamed of. Role-playing as you've never known it before - in the perilous world of the FABLED LANDS.

More screenshots of the game are available at www.megara-entertainment.com

Ninievre's comments:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fabled-lands/id421720874?mt=8

Fabled Lands free update 1.1 is now available !
Here are the 1.1 patch notes :

- You can now complete the Oak Druid's quest taken in the City of Trees
- Made a hotfix for all ability tests : while the percentage of success was displaying correctly depending on your ability level, items and difficulty level, there was a problem leading to failing some tests when you should have passed them instead. The bonuses granted by some items weren't functionning as planned in some cases. We found the problem and now all items will be working as intended.
- Revamped the market display so that it's more comfortable for iPhone and iPod users.
- Bug when trying to flee the sokaran galley -> fixed!
- Bug when joining the cannibal cult -> fixed!
- Rare bug if an ability goes down to 0 causing death -> fixed!
- You can now complete the Rebels quest if you talked to the Provost first
- 9 new items added to the random chests (2 common, 1 unco, 3 rare, 3 legendary)
- You don't get to see Yanryt again after his quest is completed.
- Removed the random events when entering your town houses, for various reasons. You can now store shards and items without having them stolen.
- You can now store only a max of 5,000 shards in each town house you own. This (and the fact that we'll develop more features around town houses in later installments) will encourage you to buy the 4 town houses available in FL1.
- Fixed a bug where a player would not be able to enter his sewers cache again if he stored the sewers map in his storage chest.
- Maximum amount of shards you can now carry on yourself is 1,000. If you reach that amount, you'll have to store extra shards in town houses. We'll raise that max amount in the next update.
- Various sound effects added, and some typos corrected.
- Tweaked the mining mini-game loot table and added 1 new gem.
- You can now fish in the Cadmium docks without paying 15 shards.
- The stone statue in Larun Forest now gives you a quest (you'll need Fabled Lands 3 to complete it though)

Thank you for your support,
Mikael
Megara Entertainment
03-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninievre View Post
- Revamped the market display so that it's more comfortable for iPhone and iPod users.
Awesome update! Thanks Mikael!

There is one bug that shows up in relation to the quoted feature. When trying to sell cargo, the cargo item appears as a dagger in the expanded image. It still sells at the correct price for the cargo though, so it's purely a cosmetic bug. Buying cargo shows up correctly.

One other quirk I should mention. This one is a bit trickier because it is consistent between the source gamebook as well as the app. When you are in a ship around Scorpion Blight (WTK paragraph 85), if you go south into the ocean (paragraph 416) and are unable/unwilling to convince the crew to continue, you "teleport" to the waters around Shadar Tor (paragraph 559), completely bypassing the waters around Yellowport. I don't know if you want to "fix" that or not in the app, as it does exist in the book, but I'd bet a million shards it was in error. Perhaps you could ask Dave Morris if it was an intentional shortcut.

Favourites: KotOR, Gridlee, iDOS, Deus Ex: The Fall, Gamebook Adventures, Baldur's Gate EE, GTA: Vice City

03-16-2011, 04:24 AM
Send a message via MSN to Ninievre
Thank you Dahak ! We didn't see those ones ! We'll fix them in the next update !
03-16-2011, 05:57 AM
Just a quick question. The app description gives the impression that this contains only the first book in the series. Does it just contain that one or all the others as well? Thanks!
03-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninievre View Post
Thank you Dahak ! We didn't see those ones ! We'll fix them in the next update !
Nice game devs. Hope your game will be better.
03-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDan View Post
Just a quick question. The app description gives the impression that this contains only the first book in the series. Does it just contain that one or all the others as well? Thanks!
This one is just the first of the series. Hopefully the next ones aren't too far away.
03-25-2011, 10:29 AM
[information from the devs below]

Last edited by Ninievre; 04-04-2011 at 07:22 AM.
04-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Hello,

Some major news here concerning the Fabled Lands apps.

The bad news :

- Because we are constantly now working on the Fabled Lands II beta, and because of its relation with Fabled Lands, there won't be any patch for download for Fabled Lands until FL2 is released. Also, Fabled Lands 1.2 / Fabled Lands HD 1.5 are cancelled for the moment - in fact postponed. These updates for FL1 will only become available after the FL2 release.
- The Mac version for Fabled Lands is postponed to after FL2 release. The porting tools for the Mac store are not good enough at the moment to port such a complex engine of ours. We'll try again in some months, hoping that those tools have evolved.

The good news :

- That will give us more time to throw in more content and polishing for free updates FL 1.2 /FL HD 1.5 ; those updates will be more interesting for the Fabled Lands I players.
- Fabled Lands II is now announced and has entered internal beta stage.
- We are pleased to announce that we have successfully designed a specific expansion unlocking engine. You will be able to keep any savegame from Fabled Lands, and use them in the sequel.
- Release confirmation dates for Fabled Lands II : July for HD iPad and September, 2011 for iPhone.iPod touch

Until then, a gift for you : you can listen to the FL1 game soundtrack that we are giving away for free on Megara's website www.megara-entertainment.com

See you soon in Golnir / Fabled Lands II !

Mikael
CEO
Megara Entertainment
04-04-2011, 08:13 AM
So let me get this right, fabled lands is 5 something and it's not even a whole game, it's only part 1 ? I'm glad I didn't buy it day release if this is the case.
04-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oooooomonkey View Post
So let me get this right, fabled lands is 5 something and it's not even a whole game, it's only part 1 ? I'm glad I didn't buy it day release if this is the case.
It's a complete game, derived from the first book. Although enough art/sound has been added to this that at times if feels more like a straight RPG than a gamebook. The books connect to each other (6 released, 12 total planned) but can be played just fine on their own.

Each book covers a region of the game world - in the app, if you try to venture off into a link to another book, the game will tell you and send you back. There are some quests in this book that cannot be completed without other books, but there is a LOT to do with the first book/game alone. Things will really open up when Fabled Lands II comes out - then the whole main continent will be available to explore.

If you like gamebooks and/or pen & paper RPGs, this is a series to watch for. If you think the price is steep, head over to Amazon and order the books instead. You can download the soundtrack to listen to while you read the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!