★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Hello from a new iphone gamer (complete with redundant obligatory questions :)

03-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Hello from a new iphone gamer (complete with redundant obligatory questions :)

Hi all,

So I got an iphone 4 and about 100 dollars in itunes giftcards for my birthday over this weekend and as a former "hardcore" pc gamer back in the mid 90s I went through the app store and spent a bit of credit already. What questions I have will follow the little list of what games I already have (so as not to get recomendations of the same game)

(My List)
Dungeon Defense
Infinity Blade
Battleheart (this game is freaking rad)
Real Racing 2
Sentinel 3
Dungeon Raid
Robokill
Rogue Vertex Online

So basically I want to know a few things...

1 ) I dig RPGs, are there any old school cRPGS being re-released on the iphone (Wizardry, Might and Magic, the old goldbox D&D stuff like Eye of the Beholder)

2 ) What are some of the can't miss games in these genres
- RPGs
- Strategy (Turnbased and otherwise)
- Tower Defense
- Dual Stick shooter type games
- Racing games (sim types with career modes please)

3 ) Are Aralon or Galaxy on Fire2 (or any other 9 dollar and up games for that matter) worth the cost? I've read good things about Aralon but it seems that it may be just an elder scrolls clone in your hand with alot less to it. Not trying to bag on it or anything just don't want to play anything that takes a ton of time on my phone, I'd rather play time sinks without having to squint quite so much.

Thanks in advance everyone
03-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
Definitely pick up Aralon! And a game that just launched named Mission Europa is worth the $10 for the collector's edition! Pick those up right now. And I'd go with Legendary Wars for tower defense.
Best dual stick shooter is Bug Heroes and the best racing game without a doubt is Real Racing 2!

btw, Welcome to TouchArcade!

03-15-2011, 11:27 PM
RPGs: Mission Europa, Aralon, Inotia 3, Zenonia 2, Chaos Rings
Strategy: Starfront Collision
Tower Defense: Plants vs Zombies, Sentinel 3
Dual Stick Shooter: Bug Heroes
Racing Games: RR2, but you already have that

Both Aralon and GoF2 are worth the $9.99 IMO.

Follow me (@zeroxharuhi) on Twitter!
03-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Welcome to the site!

A for your questions, I don't really know anything about the first one.

For the second question...

RPG's: Definitely check out aralon, it amazes me how big it is all the time, and it's quite fun to play. Some other standouts are rimelands, the quest and Dungeon hunter 2

Strategy: Starfront Collision is a good starcraft clone, Battle for wesnoth is a fantastic and huge tbs. Also there are several advance wars-like games coming up soon (check out the upcoming games section).

TD: The erlier sentinel games are more of the same, but that's not a bad thing. Dungeon defenders is also a very deep TD/rpg hybrid even though it feels a bit cramped.

Dual-stick shooters: So many to choose from, Max adventure is great. Bug heroes is an absolute must-have. minigore is a great example of smooth graphics and controls even though it lacks content.

Racing: You already have Real Racing 2 so there isn't much else, though you might want to check out gt racing: motor academy. It has a larger car list than real racing even if it is worse.

As for your last question: It depends on the game, though in the two cases you mentioned it is definitely a yes.

Also, get street fighter 4, it's a great game on sale with all profits aiding japan.

Hope you enjoy yourself.
03-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Underworlds has been around for ages now but it's a pretty good RPG with a Diablo feel to it.

If you're into roguelikes there's Sword of Fargoal and 100 Rogues.

For strategy, one of the best games around is Carcassonne and if you're into Risk then Lux DLX 2 is the best clone around and even better than the official Risk app.

For tower defense there's The Creeps, geoDefense and the awesomely unique take on the genre (and my personal favourite) Defender Chronicles. Bloons TD is really fun and frantic as well.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Last edited by MidianGTX; 03-15-2011 at 11:34 PM.
03-15-2011, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigheadmikelove View Post
Hi all,

So I got an iphone 4 and about 100 dollars in itunes giftcards for my birthday over this weekend and as a former "hardcore" pc gamer back in the mid 90s I went through the app store and spent a bit of credit already. What questions I have will follow the little list of what games I already have (so as not to get recomendations of the same game)

(My List)
Dungeon Defense
Infinity Blade
Battleheart (this game is freaking rad)
Real Racing 2
Sentinel 3
Dungeon Raid
Robokill
Rogue Vertex Online

So basically I want to know a few things...

1 ) I dig RPGs, are there any old school cRPGS being re-released on the iphone (Wizardry, Might and Magic, the old goldbox D&D stuff like Eye of the Beholder)

- Palm Heroes.
- The Quest Gold.

2 ) What are some of the can't miss games in these genres
- RPGs
- Zenonia 1 & 2.
- Inotia 2 & 3.
- Chaos Rings.
- Queen's Crown.

- Strategy (Turnbased and otherwise)
- Battle For Wesnoth.
- Uniwar.
- The War of Eustrath.
- Sword of Fargoal.
- Wolfenstein RPG.
- 100 Rogues.
- Flight Control.
- SteamBirds.

- Tower Defense
- Dungeon Defenders.
- Defender Chronicles.
- geoDefense.
- geoDefense Swarm.

- Dual Stick shooter type games
- Bug Heroes.
- Call of Duty: World at War Zombies.
- Isotope.

- Racing games (sim types with career modes please)
- Real Racing 2.
- GT Racing.
- 2XL ATV Offroad.

3 ) Are Aralon or Galaxy on Fire2 (or any other 9 dollar and up games for that matter) worth the cost? I've read good things about Aralon but it seems that it may be just an elder scrolls clone in your hand with alot less to it. Not trying to bag on it or anything just don't want to play anything that takes a ton of time on my phone, I'd rather play time sinks without having to squint quite so much.

Yes on both games and pretty much yes regarding Aralon, but its still a great game and well worth the investment.

Thanks in advance everyone
Those are a good start.

Game Center: Diligence
03-16-2011, 12:52 AM
Dual stick shooters:

iDracula, Alive4Ever 1 and 2, Gun Bros, Guerrilla Bob, Against the Fire, Age of Zombies, Meteor Blitz, Alien Space, Minigore, Max Adventure, Pirate Treasure