Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-17-2011, 03:07 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Yeah, this is a fun freemium title done right. Great job devs!
Old 03-17-2011, 03:22 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Default Review

There's been quite a lot of talk about this game and the majority of it seems to focus on this issue of IAP, so perhaps I should focus on this first because this game is excellent and if people can see pass this, they are in for a real treat.

You don't need to spend a penny, a cent, a Euro, anything. Zip. Zero. Nada. From my experience with Overkill for the last few days, I've had a great deal of fun for nothing. I've been able to go through all the levels, gain access to all the weaponry and upgrades and not felt the compulsion to buy a thing...

...if you're patient. You are, right?

So, before I go on, let's set the record straight. Overkill is developed and published by Craneballs who has established an extremely high level of credibility. It's more polished than a Granny Smith apple, more complete than an "all-you-can-eat" buffet. It doesn't push you to buy more credit (in the form of Overkill Medals - "OM") through advertising. And, most importantly of all... it's just F U N .... with a capital "F".

You like fun? I'm guessing yes because you're here... cunning, huh? ^_^

The basic premise of Overkill is you playing the role of a sniper, a mercenary, hired by some unknown organisation to right the wrongs of the world but putting sharp and pointy bits of metal into the enemy. Cool... guns! And as the cherry on the top, you're paid for each person your practise this gratifying form of acupuncture on.
You're taken through 4 differing and increasingly complex locations where misadjusted individuals jump out at you from varying positions, hell bent on showing you what their gun can do. Think of it along the lines of "my gun is bigger than yours". Each of this locations is broken up into "waves", 21 per place, with the final wave being something more akin to one of the inner circles of hell. You've been warned.

Each enemy has a visual timer around them which counts down before they take a pop shot at you. It's up to you to relieve them of their mortal coil before the timer reaches zero, because, at that point, they give into their urge to pull that trigger. You get awarded different points according to where you shoot them, and also power-ups that gift you with some extra abilities such as armour boost, double fire rate and score bonuses. Also, from time to time, health packages will appear that, once shot, will replenish what has been so quickly lost (on later levels that is...)

A big criticism of this type of game has always been the control system implemented, but I'm happy to report that there are no such problems here. The basics go like this; right hand (finger/thumb) operates the fire button, left hand (finger/thumb) operates a virtual d-pad that moves the crosshair around the screen. Reloading a weapon is automatic if your clip is empty, but you can always reload any time by the quickest of shakes. Changing the weapon can happen automatically (from most to least powerful) if you're out of ammo, or again can be done manually by swiping down with two fingers on the left and right side of the screen. Note to those who hate automatic switching - this can be turned off in the options. So, no whining, okay? Oh, and I should also add here that the game initially uses a gun-type sight when playing, but this can be switched for a simple white cross which for me is preferable as it obstructs less of the screen... I can see a lot of people turning this option off.

Be warned. This game is extremely graphically visceral - it doesn't leave much to the imagination when you're shot and it become much more challenging when your screen is covered in faux blood and your straining to see your target. Me likey... bring on the realism!!! :-) BUT... This effect can be turned off for the more squeamish or discerning player. A little strange considering what this game is about (basically adding extra ventilation holes to people), but it's a very nice touch implemented by Craneballs.

The game's universal and if you have a retina-enabled device, then you'll appreciate the extra detail youíll be given on the screen. It looks great, it looks gritty, it looks like it should look and it doesnít look like anything it shouldnít. Okay, joking apart, it does look great, thereís just about zero lag on the screen (played on an iPhone 4, iOS 4.3). I have no experience with this game on other versions, so, Y M M V ... (and before you ask; Your Mileage May Vary)....

Details details details... and if you're a details fan, a fan of lots of choices or a fan of a wide range of upgrades, then consider your thirst quenched. This game has HEAPS... and as you play, you'll accumulate money and OM which can be used to buy new guns and upgrading different aspects; ranging from increased clip size, greater accuracy, faster reload time, bigger coffee cup holder (okay, just kidding about that last one), but hopefully you get the idea... the bottom line is that there is a LOT here to do. There is a balanced range of guns, classified in terms of accuracy, power, etc... You can go from the slow but ultra precise sniper to the mass-devastation-ask-questions-later gun. I know that some people have a preferred weapon, well, if itís not here, then tough... find something you do like and get into the game. And, in case you forgot what I said at the beginning of the review, you don't actually have to spend anything except for time to get them!

The major currency in the game is OM.... oh, and dollars. Dollars you get from being a jolly old good shot. OM you get from levelling up after a set number of kills and special accomplishments. Both are in plentiful supply if you're willing to put in the time and practice... Now, a personal rant here. Some people treat IAP like the proverbial elephant in the room, like some bad smell and even something vulgar. If you're one of those, then you're missing out in a really great little game with a pedigree. All I can say is shame on you for being so judgmental. Really. Seriously. You don't need to spend anything to play through the entire game, unlock all the weapons and levels, and as some have already mentioned in this forum, extra credit can be found through downloading, and re-downloading apps... some of which are also for free. There is really no excuse for not trying this game, putting some time into it and enjoying the fruits of your "humanitarian" labour.

For the socially-orientated among us, itís got Game Center and a stack of achievements - plenty enough to keep those who care satisfied for a fair time. Bottom line? Itís another Craneballs classic. Highly recommended and highly enjoyable.

Still here? Why? Download it now and start releasing all that pent-up frustration!

Great
Game

Old 03-17-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor25 View Post
Sure ill test it out.
Just sent you a PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataloss View Post
There's been quite a lot of talk about this game and the majority of it seems to focus on this issue of IAP, so perhaps I should focus on this first because this game is excellent and if people can see pass this, they are in for a real treat.

Great
Game

Wow. thanks a lot! you should be a website editor!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:06 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via AIM to bLiNdSiDe
Default Buttons broken on iPad 2

Would love to play this but the buttons are broken on iPad 2
Old 03-19-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLiNdSiDe View Post
Would love to play this but the buttons are broken on iPad 2

Update is on the way... Stay tuned
Old 03-19-2011, 10:18 AM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

I'm anxiously waiting for the update too! Looks like a great game!
Old 03-19-2011, 01:24 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via AIM to bLiNdSiDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneballs View Post
Update is on the way... Stay tuned
Thanks for being so involved. I'll be sure to throw you a few bucks once the update drops.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:45 PM

F476B8B7 thx
Old 03-19-2011, 04:17 PM

In less then 3 days (62 hours) Overkill has been downloaded 1 milion times. Thanks a lot!

Time spent in game: incredible 22 years!