★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Does anyone remember a chess game on the Apple computer...

11-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Does anyone remember a chess game on the Apple computer...

Does anyone remember a chess game back on the apple computer when you took a piece down, you actually had to fight?
If for instance it was a pawn vs. a queen, the queen had higher attributes and was tougher to "take down"..
What was that called....
And wouldn't that be fun on the iPhone/Touch?
11-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Was that Battle Chess? I had a Star Wars version back on the Sega CD.

11-01-2008, 10:26 AM
No, it wasn't actually Battle Chess, though it's totally the exact same type of game.
Not sure if in Battle Chess, you actually battle, but in the version I'm talking about, you actualy duked it out.

I think it was on the Apple II....old school....green and black monochrome monitors...
11-01-2008, 10:45 AM
It was called Archon. Your strength in the battles changed as the game cycled between night and day, so if you were playing the armies of darkness, you had more power in the night cycle and so on.

From what I remember, the Archon series went on for quite a while after the original Apple ][ version.
11-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwilnik View Post
It was called Archon. Your strength in the battles changed as the game cycled between night and day, so if you were playing the armies of darkness, you had more power in the night cycle and so on.

From what I remember, the Archon series went on for quite a while after the original Apple ][ version.
Oh yeah! Thanks so much Zwilnik. That was really bothering me.
Wooo, I feel better now. You made my day!

Now, if they could make something along these lines (just maybe some updated graphics LOL) for the iPhone/Touch, I'd be extremely happy.
11-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Archon was the sh*t!

I remember hoping for a Mortal Kombat version or anything recent. That game needs a revisit big time. Nothing felt better then using a pawn piece to take out one of your opponents big guys.
11-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Send a message via AIM to Magnulus Send a message via Skype™ to Magnulus
A group of people actually developed something called Archon: Evolution, which was a re-make of the original C64 version of Archon. However, it suddenly halted after one or two betas. Never heard from them again. Looked really good, too.
11-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Well, I took the proactive approach and I am emailing the developer and including a link to this thread. Hopefully it will convince him to port that sucker to the iPhone. It is already written in C++, so hopefully the move to Object C or whatever is used isn't too difficult.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the dev will come here and let us know if a port is possible. If he emails me back any info I'll post it here.

Cross your fingers!
11-01-2008, 03:31 PM
i've been asking for Archon for evah!!!
loved it on the C64

at sometime i heard EA bought the rights to it..but i can't confirm that

but ...Def. Port it to zi Iphone and ...wow
11-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
Well, I took the proactive approach and I am emailing the developer and including a link to this thread. Hopefully it will convince him to port that sucker to the iPhone. It is already written in C++, so hopefully the move to Object C or whatever is used isn't too difficult.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the dev will come here and let us know if a port is possible. If he emails me back any info I'll post it here.

Cross your fingers!
Genious! That would be incredible to get a response and an even "wow, didn't even think about it, but since you guys showed interest, we'll do it"!

And glad to see others have the same affection to this old school gem..