Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-17-2011, 01:46 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Send a message via AIM to speednoisemovement
Default Vetica: a font-based vertical shooter - play as the A from Helvetica!

Still not sold? Here's a "cinematic trailer":

Youtube link | Pop Up

And a gameplay video:

Youtube link | Pop Up
Old 03-17-2011, 02:13 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Default Original

Looks like something different. Lets hope the gameplay is good.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:40 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

To answer some questions I've been asked elsewhere:

Game Center?
Next update.

Retina?
Next update.

Endless mode
Forthcoming, though probably not next update. There are a few other game modes in the works also.

HD/Universal?
Short answer: probably not, long answer.

You should be able to kill Comic Sans!
There is no secret cow level.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:24 PM

Pretty solid vertical shooter. Wish the controls were a little tighter and the 'hitbox' a bit smaller--seems to be the entire 'A' that registers damage.

Looking forward to GC and eventually Endless mode.

Hope the game does well and a sequel based on Futura gets made.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:45 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

The hitbox is indeed smaller than the A but not as small as typical bullet-hell hitboxes. I'll consider changing it if a lot of people think it's too big, but it never came up in playtesting.

Before I understood the iPhone market, I had a tentative plan to follow up with "Tura." One of the things I'm considering now is a "Caves of Tura" campaign in a future update. Some people have suggested a skin, but that's not possible due to the different looks and proportions of the letterforms. "Caves of Tura" would have brand new enemies based on the Futura glyphs.

Could you elaborate re: your concerns with the controls?
Old 03-19-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speednoisemovement View Post
The hitbox is indeed smaller than the A but not as small as typical bullet-hell hitboxes. I'll consider changing it if a lot of people think it's too big, but it never came up in playtesting.

Before I understood the iPhone market, I had a tentative plan to follow up with "Tura." One of the things I'm considering now is a "Caves of Tura" campaign in a future update. Some people have suggested a skin, but that's not possible due to the different looks and proportions of the letterforms. "Caves of Tura" would have brand new enemies based on the Futura glyphs.

The controls are fine as is, though can sometimes feel a bit 'slippery'. Not a lag, really, or anything that urgently needs to be addressed.

'Caves of Tura' sounds awesome. Thanks for the quick response.

EDIT: The 3 star review on iTunes elaborates on the controls slipping sometimes. Again, I don't find it to be a major issue.

Last edited by Guise; 03-20-2011 at 01:35 PM..
Old 03-20-2011, 01:01 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Default Game Impressions

I'm really enjoying this game and it's quite creative. This is the best example of kinetic typography I've ever played. Great animations and enemy behavior. Not just a gimmick, it's a serious shooter. Great job, Speed Noise Movement, and great name for a company.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:46 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

at 1.19 its a decent game if you are a fan of creative works and shmups..

Im enjoying this game so far, would agree about 'slippery controls' - Is there some acceleration going on there?

..and with regards to the hitbox may i suggest the legs of the 'A' to not be included so that it is just a small triangle - my thumb can obstruct view of enemies appearing from the lower half suddenly...other than that solid gameplay!

Enjoying the various enemies and working out the best weapons...imaginative would be a word id use to describe a lot of whats coming out of vetica..not least of which is shown from the bosses at each level which you end up looking forward to! ...when health and A's (lives) are plentiful

+1 for an endless mode and please keep up the good work
also +1 to everything djflippy said

endless mode i understand takes a lot of thought and work, hopefully the 3 difficulties, scoreboard/achievements(?) for the 13 levels will keep us going, at 6 so far.. until then i look forward to the updates and thanks for the info above!

Also as a suggestion, perhaps change the first screenshot on the app page to something with more chaos then the simple block bullets so people are less likely to assume gimmick (you only see one type of enemy bullet-square)...you know how quick people can be to judge..

was it me or was the music on the second gameplay trailer better than in-game? although the sound effects come in handy with those pesky letters

Last edited by ysr.; 03-20-2011 at 03:07 PM..
Old 03-20-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speednoisemovement View Post

But...but...why can't we kill Comic Sans glyphs!

Using Garamond!
Old 03-20-2011, 05:42 PM

Re: controls, the 'drift' occurs when you stop moving the A but keep your controlling finger onscreen. The A then moves around randomly, making it difficult to stay still for any amount of time.