★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Boom Dice is Out!

04-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Boom Dice is Out!

Hi! I'm the developer of an app called "Mach Dice" and I just created my first game, "Boom Dice" -- a dice game that requires luck, strategy, and guts to win. My goal was to create a fun little app that groups of up to four people could play with on a single iPhone. Check it out!

Boom Dice website
iTunes Store link

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by MachWerx; 04-03-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: fixed video
04-03-2009, 12:19 PM

04-03-2009, 12:19 PM
No worrys I got u covered
04-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Hey MachWerx,
Believe your dice technology is licensed to WordFu which I enjoy immensely. Also I have your Mach Dice app which is fantastic. This one might be tad too much luck based for me. Err not enough decisions.

You thought about implementing a Can't Stop version perhaps? That way one would have decisions to make and press your luck. Boom Dice feels like a mini version of Can't Stop but without the pyramid and without the numbers combo decisions. http://www.rollordont.com/ has a java version...isn't very pretty though.
04-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Send a message via AIM to superbad
Just because my friend Mach is too shy to admit it... this is the dice engine NGMOCO used for WORD FU!

This game's fun! It's a nice little pick and play game. It was funny when he was demoing it to me, he couldn't get the bomb dice to pop up.

Me and Jeff were like uh oh. It's not working.

PLEASE Visit The APPera | Follow Me Superbad24 | Follow The APPera Tweets
LOST. Let Go. Move On. Zing!
**GO LAKERS **
04-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Indeed, Word Fu does use my physics engine and thanks for the link to Can't Stop. I hadn't heard of that game before. Pretty interesting.

It does have a simpler decision process, but there are still some open questions about optimal strategy. For example, how often should you reroll? My gut feeling is it's good to reroll at least until you get your first set of 10 points and then stop if you get to 18 before getting your second full set. The single player version is a little different and just goes for 5 rounds. For that version, what's the optimal strategy if your goal is to get over 100? What about 200? I've never gotten above 112, so I don't know.

Also, you get to roll dice that explode! I figure that's worth a buck to some people...
04-03-2009, 04:40 PM
This looks fun, if simple, and the price is right. Just purchased. Looking forward to v2 with the other dice, etc.

edit: Any plans to add AI opponents?

Last edited by yacoub; 04-03-2009 at 05:11 PM.
04-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Kaboom!

Just got Boom Dice - so fun! I really like the dynamic gears background and how the dice seem to be vibrating. Makes it look really alive. Great work!

Also, how cool of a name is Mach if you're making games? It could only be cooler if you made, say, planes. Or razors. You need to do a plane/razor game next
04-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Great game, I'll be purchasing this one for sure. ^ ^

I am surprised Apple allowed the commentary about some things being available in version 2. I may be wrong, but I could have sworn they didn't allow mention of "additional features to come" inside the game, for either future versions or about full versions inside a lite version.

Not saying it's a bad thing, I actually like it as it lets us know what is to come in the future. I've just seen other developers get rejected due to mentioning things that are currently unavailable.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
04-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the comments!

Yup, Apple does indeed reject apps if they refer to future features. In fact, I wrote a blog post on that. But the demo video was created beforehand. Ah, live and learn...