★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Spectre 1.2 - Single/Multiplayer Tank shooter! iPad Universal!

03-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Spectre 1.2 - Single/Multiplayer Tank shooter! iPad Universal!

Alright, it's finally here! Spectre 1.2.0! The long awaited patch that's so big it's almost like a new game!
  • iPad Support - A new HUD and weapon selection system - all on the game screen! The game host options and multiplayer join screen have also been revamped for the optimal iPad experience.
  • Arcade Mode - The all-new single player mode that was designed for iOS. It's a fast-paced score attack with different power-ups, point multipliers, and chain-explosions! Your scores are sent to the Game Center leaderboard, so you can compete with friends!
  • Retina Display Support - iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4G users will enjoy crisp, bright Retina display-enhanced visuals!
  • Game Center Enabled! - Over 25 achievements and 5 leaderboards have been added!
  • New skyboxes! - There's even more skyboxes to add to the atmosphere. They're also HD-enabled for iPad and Retina Display users.
  • Re-balanced gameplay. Spectre Classic and VR mode are easier now.
  • Tons of bug fixes and adjustments.

This adds to the already enormous list of features, which now looks something like this:
  • 3 Single-player and 4 Multi-player modes!
  • Bluetooth, Wifi, and Internet lobby multiplayer, with AI multiplayer bots and up to 16 players!
  • Nine different weapons
  • Completely customizable online game options
  • Weapons, shield and flight energy power-ups
  • Running dedicated servers

Note
The 1.2.1 patch is on its way, with a few small bug fixes.

Home Page

Last edited by matt_j; 03-18-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: appinfo link
03-18-2011, 01:42 PM
How does one make the buttons on the right side larger? It's no exaggeration that they're currently miniscule - not much larger than the dock button that is directly adjacent to them. The controls of v1.0 seemed much better on iPad, though admittedly a small handicap for ipad players could make arena matches more interesting - if that's why the buttons are smaller. In any case, the sharpening of the visuals in a vector game is always welcome, and there's always the chance of future tweaks.

Last edited by Grubjelly; 03-18-2011 at 01:46 PM.

03-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubjelly View Post
How does one make the buttons on the right side larger? It's no exaggeration that they're currently miniscule - not much larger than the dock button that is directly adjacent to them.
Do you think they should be larger, farther apart, or both?

Quote:
The controls of v1.0 seemed much better on iPad
The 2x scaling, of course, but they were farther from the edge of the screen, making it strenuous to control.

Quote:
though admittedly a small handicap for ipad players could make arena matches more interesting - if that's why the buttons are smaller.
You can't please everyone with control sizes, though I'm probably one of the few that is offering a resizable joypad. Relating to my previous question, do you think a better option would be to simply increase the spacing dynamically?

Quote:
In any case, the sharpening of the visuals in a vector game is always welcome, and there's always the chance of future tweaks.
Yeah. I doubled the resolution of the skyboxes, plus they load in the background now, so the initial load time was reduced significantly.
03-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_j View Post
Do you think they should be larger, farther apart, or both?

The 2x scaling, of course, but they were farther from the edge of the screen, making it strenuous to control.

You can't please everyone with control sizes, though I'm probably one of the few that is offering a resizable joypad. Relating to my previous question, do you think a better option would be to simply increase the spacing dynamically?

Yeah. I doubled the resolution of the skyboxes, plus they load in the background now, so the initial load time was reduced significantly.

In my opinion, there should be an option to make all three buttons at least 50% bigger, and put a little space (2-3mm) between fire and jump. In v1.0 scaled to 2X on ipad, it was possible to use two fingers for the buttons on the right, but now that's nearly impossible due to the layout. I did manage to get used to using right thumb for the buttons after about 30-60 min of play in Arcade mode (unlocked "Strategic Approach" on Hard, by the way, although substantial luck was involved in getting 7+ multi), but I still end up jumping too often by mistake. A control option that closely resembles that of the iphone version scaled to 2X would be ideal. Good update overall, however. My thumb is sore from Arcade mode alone.
03-19-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm loving playing this on the iPad2. Really smooth and well done and great game play. More people need to buy it for multiplayer arena!
03-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codhisattva View Post
I'm loving playing this on the iPad2. Really smooth and well done and great game play. More people need to buy it for multiplayer arena!
Yeah, as we discussed in the chat I don't think that's a selling point. However, I got a report of 3 people playing within an iPhone wireless hotspot, with another connected from their office!

The architecture is there, just no demand. I think the problem was that it was difficult to build and polish it (network protocol, lobby, four multiplayer modes, bluetooth, hosting menu UIs, lobby menu UIs, bot AI, etc), and then tacking an extra $2 onto the price tag because of it.

The new Arcade mode is great in my opinion, and has actually turned out to be one of the most fun games on my iPod Touch/iPad, which says a lot because I'm pretty critical of my stuff!
03-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Patch 1.2.1 released with minor fixes and a new large icon.

Also I need to bump this the iPad thread! The iPhone/iPod Touch thread is pretty active but Spectre plays even better on the iPad!
04-24-2011, 02:20 PM
The latest update features fixed iOS 3.1.2+ support! There's also landscape auto-rotation, and re-sizable iPad controls!