★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Rails & Trains is a virtual model railroading for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.
Build and run your own railroads or solve a hundred of challenging puzzle levels!

Build railroads from track segments, switches, cars, locomotives and signals
When your railroad is ready, run it: drive trains, toggle switches, operate signals, couple and decouple cars

PUZZLE MODE:
Cars and rails have several colors, your goal is to deliver all the cars so that the colors match
Watch out to not crash trains or break switches
Most levels have timer (optional): operate fast to earn score points and achievements

FREEFORM MODE:
Build your own railroad, with as many switches, trains and signals as you like
Run your road as you will, just don't crash

FREE VERSION:
10 tutorial levels
12 sample levels - 3 for each of the 4 different packs available in the full version
Freeform mode demo

FULL VERSION (unlocked with a single in-app purchase):
+ Additional 4 level packs with 20 levels in each one
+ Unlimited amount of parts in the freeform mode
+ Level creator (and the ability to save your freeform works)

Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeMl-e7LC80

NOTE: Railroad behavior in this game is close to reality, and you can control a lot of elements. If you like trains, you are going to love this game. It's not simple though. To start playing quickly, there are an in-game tutorial and a short demo video on YouTube. Please start by watching the demo (linked from the game's help page), then continue to the tutorial.

Support: Please don't hesitate to leave a feedback or to ask questions. Rails & Trains is now on Facebook too: https://www.facebook.com/railsntrains (You can access the page from the game after completing a level)

silyevsk's comments:
My new game, Rails & Trains, is available on the App Store:

Youtube link | Pop Up
03-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Trains, FREE!

I'm on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

03-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Game Impressions

OK that was quick!

As a fan of trains I am very impressed with this game - it's very much a sandbox train game with puzzles!

First you lay track & switches. Then you start the "simulation."

Engines are controlled by tapping on them, which creates a button for that engine, which can (and should!) be dragged around, like to the corner of the screen. Then by using two fingers: one holding the engine button, another can swipe up/down for throttle and swipe left and right to swap directions. I'd prefer the direction swap be another button instead (perhaps one that would pop up if the Engine control was held and was stationary) but it works.

Graphics are simple, but clean and functional, sound is also decent.

And that's it! You can run multiple trains, connect up to cars, zoom in/out, etc. If you're someone like me who loves model railroading, you should probably pick this up.

DLC (full game: $0.99) Purchased!

Oh, yeah it's got Game Center, and I can't wait to try this out on an iPad - give each person their own train & control and you've good to go! If the developer could make this universal (just show more of the map) then this would be even better!

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

Last edited by drelbs; 03-18-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling
03-19-2011, 10:42 AM
This game has alot of depth! I'm really enjoying this on the ipad (unfortunately this game only crashes on my ipod). Thanks for the video above, it helped get me started.
03-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Thank you for the feedbacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus70 View Post
(...)unfortunately this game only crashes on my ipod(...)
Can you please tell me the iPod and iOS versions?
03-19-2011, 02:19 PM
It worked fine on my iPod Touch 4G with 4.3.

I really like the idea and the game controls surprisingly well, but I do wish the graphics had a bit more character. They work well as they are, but it looks more like a blueprint for a railway than the railway itself. I'd love to be able to make my own designs and then decorate it with buildings, trees, bridges, farmyard animals, etc.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
03-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Being able to decorate a completed railroad would be nice. Just turn the background green and add scenery bits to drop on - you could even add roads/rivers and level crossings/bridges. A model railroad set on your pocket!

Since trains link controls when both held down (good use of multitouch, BTW) to modify for 2-player on an iPad, divide the screen in half make train controls orient to the half of the screen they're on, and not link with controls on he other half.

Next step is to add tunnels for network play - train going out a tunnel goes to a tunnel on the device you're networked with for really BIG layouts!

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
04-01-2011, 07:25 AM
v1.0.1 was released - crashes fixed

v1.0.1 was released today, which fixes crashes on iPhone 3G and 2nd generation iPod touch.
04-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Nice
04-27-2011, 05:21 AM
1.1.0 is out

What's new in 1.1.0:
✔ An option to skip up to 2 levels per pack
✔ More time added in several levels
✔ Sample Levels pack reorganized: it now has 4 sub-packs and there's no need to complete a level in order to unlock the next one
✔ Integration with Facebook
✔ Sharing private levels via email
✔ Minor fixes and updates