★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What game review sites do you rely on?

03-19-2011, 05:25 PM
What game review sites do you rely on?

With 50,000+ games in the app store, it is crucial to go to forums like these and speak to gamers about the latest releases. However, it is also nice to have some reliable review sites when looking for games. I have listed a few of the ones I visit below with some comments on them. Please list yours as well. The more information us gamers have, the more confident we can be of our purchases.

TouchArcade - the thing I love about this site's main page is that they are usually the first to review the hottest games. However, I think that implementing a scoring system would be nice. It seems anticlimactic to "review" a game and not have a score at the end!

TouchGen - This site tends to focus more on the major releases than the indie games but they have pretty thorough reviews. Because they tend to take a long time to review games, I don't visit as frequently.

Appspy - I like this site because they review a lot of games. However, they tend to give average games a lot of 4/5 rankings. Still, I visit this site quite a bit because they get their reviews out quickly and have nice video reviews.

PocketGamer.uk - They probably offer the most critical reviews, and I really like that. Not a lot of their reviews get 8/10 or higher but if they do, you know they are quality

Gamespot & IGN - useless.

Slidetoplay (Gamefinder) - great for folks new to iOS gaming because of all the categorization but I tend to disagree with a lot of their reviews.

Appsmile - Don't like, way to generous on their reviews.

Gamecenter: DEATHLRD

Last edited by natedogg213; 03-19-2011 at 05:35 PM.
03-19-2011, 05:28 PM
You're forgetting the Best app review site aside from Toucharcade: Slidetoplay! This site is almost entirely reviews, and their reviews are long and focused. I don't like their scoring system, but it is still the #1 app eview site out there.

In Soviet Russia, whenever anyone mentions Twilight, they are brutally PWNED by Simon Belmont... wait, that happens everywhere.

03-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtz6 View Post
You're forgetting the Best app review site aside from Toucharcade: Slidetoplay! This site is almost entirely reviews, and their reviews are long and focused. I don't like their scoring system, but it is still the #1 app eview site out there.
I did, that's "Gamefinder"! "Gamefinder by Slide to Play is the app. I used to like the site when I first got my touch but don't frequent it as much now.

03-19-2011, 05:31 PM
I tend to use Touch Arcade, TouchGen, and iFanzine the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg213 View Post
Gamefinder - great for folks new to iOS gaming because of all the categorization but I tend to disagree with a lot of their reviews.
I never heard of this. Are you referring to STP's app?

Edit: Oops, posted before seeing the above post.

Follow me (@zeroxharuhi) on Twitter!
03-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruhi View Post
I tend to use Touch Arcade, TouchGen, and iFanzine the most.

I never heard of this. Are you referring to STP's app?

Edit: Oops, posted before seeing the above post.
I am checking out iFanzine right now. Like the site so far, they have a nice review of Grim Joggers, one of my favorite games from January

03-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Appspy is my favorite.
They're straight to the point, and always include the youtube video.
I've been supporting them since they've had 50 views a video on youtube.
03-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
I just use TouchArcade.
But when it slows down around here in the forums, I usually go through my routine of other sites. I always go to other sites in this order:

Appshopper
SlidetoPlay
Pocketgamer
Appadvice

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg213 View Post
Appsmile - Don't like, way to generous on their reviews.
Why do you think they call it Appsmile?
03-19-2011, 05:59 PM
I tend not to read any reviews unless someone specifically links me to one for some reason. I know what I like well enough to be able to judge through user feedback on forums alone. If there's a glaring problem it's more likely to be noted by a crowd of people than a lone reviewer.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
03-19-2011, 06:24 PM
I read user impressions / user ratings rather than those from reviewers .

And i second, Gamespot / IGN is just pure badass (shit).
03-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Appadvice is really good for iOS news and app reviews--some of which are games.

148apps isn't bad.