★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: QuanAtomic
  • Genre: Adventure
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 11.1 MB
  • Version: 1.01
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: QUANATOMIC ... a RETRO SPACE SHOOTER RPG for the iPHONE, iPOD TOUCH, and iPAD.

30 FPS on 1st generation devices ... BLAZES on 4th gen with SWEET RETINA graphics.

Minimum requirement: iDevices with IOS 3.2 installed.
Game Trailer Video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrIqnkPZa9k

FEATURES:

- Clean, retro graphics optimized for iPhone

- Blazing gameplay

- Precise, responsive controls

- Awesome music by Buba Producer (www.bubaproducer.com)

- 12 tutorial missions ensure a smooth learning curve

-An engaging story arcs across 24 challenging campaign missions with increasing difficulty and unique layouts

- NPC characters with three alien races

- Upgradable weapons and ships

- 5 distinct mission types with unique play mechanics

- Endless challenge in survival mode

STORY:

Enlist in an epic campaign spanning 24 missions in subatomic space. You are a raw Quarkian recruit undergoing basic fighter training when the Leptons brutally attack without provocation. With little training but plenty of guts, you are thrown into the fray! Explore sectors filled with dangerous nebulas, mine quanatomic particles with Higgs bosons, and avoid deadly gravitons, tachyons, and accelerons. Find abandoned Preon technology for weapons and shield upgrades, curry favor with the Bosons to cement a precarious alliance, and keep fighting despite facing ever increasing danger. It is up to you to restore JUSTICE while obeying one rule to survive ... SHOOT EVERYTHING!!
03-20-2011, 03:00 AM
Game Impressions

Short version since there doesn't appear to be much interest in this:

I've played through the first 12 tutorial missions so far and had a quick go both at the Campaign and Survival. No complaints about the technical side; frame rate is very smooth.

Gameplay is interesting and engaging. A story is relayed via text messages before, after, and sometimes during a mission, which actually works very well in setting up the atmosphere and making you care beyond the fly/shoot/evade gameplay at face value.

Unfortunately where things untangle is on the controls side. There are too many of them on screen, and they are too small and too close together. I don't need to draw a picture of the problems this poses. Now, it isn't horrible or anything, certainly not unplayable and definitely doesn't break the game. However it does insure that the gameplay never feels intuitive and often feels frustrating. Bottom line: if Space Miner can offer similar gameplay with four buttons on screen and your interface requires eight, well, you haven't really done your homework.

So a very competent, engaging game, that really needs a complete interface/controls overhaul in order to shine. (Which actually isn't as much work as it might sound; there's no requirement to re-invent the wheel.)
03-20-2011, 03:58 AM
Cool cool graphics...looks like my kind of game. But saddled with control issues, is it? That's a killer...And I've spent too much this week as usual. Probably give this a few days and see how I feel then. Plus, who knows, there's always the possibility it'll drop to 99 cents or free in the first week of release.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms