★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Create whole new worlds! Puzzle Planets is an action puzzler which puts the epic forces of nature at your fingertips.

Quickly assemble a planets tectonic plates then smash them together to cause massive seismic activity. See life sprout on continents that rise from the ocean, then defend your creation from mega disasters long enough for strange creatures to evolve.

- Create 15 planets across 3 galaxies
- Collect all 45 alien lifeforms
- Challenge your friends through Facebook Connect

With awesome 3D visuals and hi-resolution support for Retina and iPad its a great way to show off the awesomeness of your new device. Its also inspired by real science, so you never know, you might pick up a few facts along the way!

Download now to see how Puzzle Planets truly is out of this world!

Learn the science behind Puzzle Planets in the National Geographic Channel show Clash of the Continents.
03-20-2011, 03:22 AM
Looks nice ... And seeing it's from nat geo , there should be some creditability . Anyway , any impressions on this one ?

03-20-2011, 04:28 AM
This looks like a really solid game, but perhaps awkward timing on the release :/
03-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Yeah, polished but really bad timing...

Waiting for: Airborne Troopers, Mini Motor Racing. Minisquadron 2, Tweetland, Car Jack Streets 2, Drive Forever, Turf Geography Club, Junk Jack!!
Twitter: @nkatti
Proud Beta Tester of over 30 Games!
03-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpowers View Post
This looks like a really solid game, but perhaps awkward timing on the release :/
Ummm... Downloaded it. Nothing in the game to remind you of Japan.

Anyway, I think it's a cool concept, but gameplay is underwhelming. It is just a handful of time trials -- fit the pieces, tap on the buttons, populate landmasses and prevent disasters. The faster you complete them, the more a planet's lifeform evolves. There is no real puzzling or strategy to be had. And there is no customization of planets -- you can't build your own unique one. (Unless that comes after you've beaten all the challenges, which I haven't done so far.)

Ironically, I had an idea for a similar game combining slider puzzle elements and life simulation -- sort of Spore meets Cogs. But I'm no computer programmer. And that's what I think is disappointing about this game: it could've been so much more with some polish. But right now it is just a budget title that really isn't much of a bargain except for those of us who have a great interest in the subject matter.
03-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post
Ironically, I had an idea for a similar game combining slider puzzle elements and life simulation -- sort of Spore meets Cogs. But I'm no computer programmer.
That's not irony.
03-20-2011, 07:46 PM
I'd buy the game if only I could see a YouTube/Vimeo video of the game first. Pictures look great but video would be better.
03-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Still no video so you won't get my $2, Starbucks will.
03-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristocratic View Post
Still no video so you won't get my $2, Starbucks will.
LOL

I agree. We need to see the game in action. I love nat geo and everything but I'd rather buy the mag than an app without knowing what I'm gonna get.
03-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Hi guys,

I worked on the Puzzle Planets game and hope that you like it! There's a game trailer coming, and for now there's a gameplay trailer you can see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAYa8Ng8vJ4

We'd love to hear your feedback on the game, good or bad, so we can make the game better in the long run. There is also a v1.1 update coming out soon that tweaks and improves a few things.

One half of Acorn Heroes, makers of Acorn Money and Goo! Follow me on Twitter