★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Wifi and 3G Questions

04-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Wifi and 3G Questions

I have a few questions as to how WiFi works. I dont have it at my house so I cant really experiment with it. I have a Touch.
First Question:
If a game says WiFi local mulitplayer, I realize that means that you can only play against others if they are in the same server as you, am I right? So for RS 09, if I was at Starbucks, than only other people in that Starbucks could play with me?
Second Question:
For a game like Galcon, if you have WiFi at your house, does in connect to all over the world? Does Galcon multiplayer only work for something like the iphone with a network, or can I play against people all over the world with WiFi?
So basically my question is; if I get a WiFi box for my house, can I play against people all over the world in multiplayer games such as Galcon? Does the Touch have the same capibilities as an iphone as far as mulitplayer games when you are in WiFi?
Last Question:
What exactly is the 3G network that the iphone runs on?

Thanks for any help.
04-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Well I can answer the first 2 questions for you. Sadly I have an iPhone 2G so I don't really know about all the 3G stuff

Well first off, if people were at Starbucks and using the same Starbucks WiFi as you, then they should be able to play with you on games like RS 09 and iShoot.

An answer to your second question:
Yes. Anyone playing that game on either a 3G or WiFi network will play with you. So for some examples, Scramboni. In that game, you play with players from all around. And yes, the Touch has the same capabilities with WiFi as the iPhone. Just think of the Touch as the same thing as the iPhone except without the phone

04-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Great! Thanks for the quick answer.
I have another question. How do you get WiFi at your house? Can you buy the box from a store like Best Buy and install it yourself, or do you have to pay people do install it for you? Is WiFi even a box?
04-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Apple has a WiFi "box" called Airport. I haven't actually set it up myself but I hear it's very simple and should take 5-10 min. The Airport should come with an instruction kit and stuff like that to get you started. I'm sure Best Buy and all those store have the machines, but they're usually either slow or somewhat inconvenient. From all the WiFi boxes, I would recommend Airport the most because of it's easy to install since it sounds like you haven't done this yet.

And yes, some are shaped like boxes. The newest Airport is shaped somewhat like a box but the older one was a cone shape.
04-03-2009, 07:36 PM
If you have a mac, you don't need an airport just to set up a wi-fi for your iPhone. You can easily share your internet from your mac, so it's like creating wi-fi which everyone in the house can use.

Problem with this is when your computer is off, the wi-fi is off too.

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.
04-03-2009, 08:10 PM
That's why I love Macs, they come with everything like wifi, blue tooth built in, it's so much easier than buying dongles and boxes etc.
04-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks again for the replies.
Do I have to have a mac to use the Airport? I'm assuming not because you said macs have them built in.
Also, does the WiFi work for all appliances that require WiFi, or just for ones that are made by Apple?
04-03-2009, 08:30 PM
All you need is an internet connection (broadband - cable/dsl). Assuming you have that, you don't need an Airport. I have Macs and PCs and I prefer to use Linksys, which is just a brand of router, and Airport is just Apple's branded router. Not all routers are wireless, however, so you'll want to make sure you pick out a wireless type. Other brands besides Linksys are Belkin and Netgear, among others. Setting that up is simple...mostly just follow the picture directions to get it working. Then, the instructions normally walk you through naming your network, changing the password (so your neighbors can't use it), and generally securing it. In addition to your computers, gaming consoles/devices like the xbox, wii, PS3, DS, and of course, iphone/ipod, all use wifi. It's a cool thing. It's networking without wires. If you need any help buying or setting it up, PM me, it's what I do for a living

Oh, I forgot one thing. Computers aren't all wireless-enabled, if they're older or desktops. It's hard to find a laptop these days at any price that's not wireless. It's also very easy and cheap to install a wireless card in a desktop, and they even have wireless cards for most laptops (I found one to work with really old G3 Lombard, but it wasn't officially supported and while it worked, it was a pain).

Last edited by krazyfingerzz; 04-03-2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: forgot something